Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car tyres on Quad bikes

3 posters

Go down

Car tyres on Quad bikes Empty Car tyres on Quad bikes

Post by Guest Tue 30 Sep 2014, 4:31 pm

Bought a little Honda quad bike, its currently fitted with non standard rims and 13" car tyres, someone has replaced the rims to use the car tyres as they were probably using the quad mainly on bitumen or something?, anyway two of the tyres need replacing, so I have been tossing up whether to just fit new car tyres and try it out in the bush or replace them with quad tyres?

Just wondering if anybody has used a quad set up in this way and did they encounter any issues, would there be any advantage in using the car tyres for bush work, like will they handle rocky, sandy, muddy ground or would quad type tyres be better, if so why?

thanks in advance

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Car tyres on Quad bikes Empty Re: Car tyres on Quad bikes

Post by Mingo Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:00 pm

I just got a quad and the chap had set it up with proper bush tyres, a few hundred bucks a tyre he told me (!) it had a couple of plugs in them but he reckons they went through some hell country, I added green slime, so far so good. I'm away from the bike but can get you the tyre type when next I'm home.
Will watch with interest for other replies.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:19 pm

What size are the car tyres? I sometimes have a few rally tyres lying around. They are really tough and puncture resistant but too tough to fit by hand.

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by madtuna Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:29 pm

Quite common to see car tyres on quads now, often much cheaper and wear well as there's minimal weight in a quad.
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down