Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

book reading

+2
Pebbles
groundrush
6 posters

Go down

book reading Empty book reading

Post by Guest Fri 12 Sep 2014, 6:45 pm

well had a read of the book about gold in our town which a mate lent me..

I must admit it was a poor read especially if the bloke took 4 years to write it.

All I can say thank god he didn't catch up with the locals that are always on the go out there coz a lot more spots would have come out. I personally know of another 20 areas but they will remain with the people that also know about them.

There seems a lot of emphasis on one particular area and certain aspects are not quiet right.

Now I can see how people make more money out of writing books than actually prospecting -- no mater what excuse people have u need to go bush and look for ground.

if anyone want to get a copy --I suggest u borrow one of someone, u will read it in one night in bed and give it back.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

book reading Empty Re: book reading

Post by groundrush Fri 12 Sep 2014, 6:55 pm

oneday wrote:well had a read of the book about gold in our town which a mate lent me..

I must admit it was a poor read especially if the bloke took 4 years to write it.

All I can say thank god he didn't catch up with the locals that are always on the go out there coz a lot more spots would have come out. I personally know of another 20 areas but they will remain with the people that also know about them.

There seems a lot of emphasis on one particular area and certain aspects are not quiet right.

Now I can see how people make more money out of writing books than actually prospecting -- no mater what excuse people have u need to go bush and look for ground.

if anyone want to get a copy --I suggest u borrow one of someone, u will read it in one night in bed and give it back.

regards
oneday

Sorry a bit cryptic for oneday, what the hell are you on about?
Blokes making money out of selling picks shovels and sugar ?
Name the book and stand by your critic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Fri 12 Sep 2014, 7:54 pm

Ray is trying to be a little bit diplomatic.
Hint: Do a search using “Karratha”
Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Fri 12 Sep 2014, 8:01 pm

I didnt think it was too bad Ray- but then again i had only been in k-town 6 months when it came out, so i picked up a couple of spots. Im sure long time locals might not have gotten much out of it though.

You ever thought about doing a book or a series of maps and selling them in your shop??? Might be profitable but then again you will have every man and his dog on the older lesser known patches- probably better off keeping them to yourself.

Also id love to hear what aspects weren't quite right in the book.

pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by groundrush Fri 12 Sep 2014, 8:24 pm

Maybe Col but diplomatic, why? Never found a paid for book or map clutch
yet that made all that much sense to me. Thing is if it puts the new chum in the
general area its done its job. Worth the price, for some I reckon. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Rege-PA Fri 12 Sep 2014, 11:51 pm

I have the book and think it accomplished its purpose, described the area, described the gold found, explained salt gold, listed some places to go and hinted at others, beats wandering around for someone not familiar with the area.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Sat 13 Sep 2014, 6:52 am

I bought the book for $59.95 from memory.  Going on what I read, I picked up about $600 worth of gold in conditions I had never encountered before, in an area I'd never detected before, in two weeks.

Okay, not big gold but still satisfying and an introduction to the area.  As you say Ray, if you want big gold you need to hit the leather and get out walking.

I'm pretty sure if he had spoken to the locals, and if they had been forthcoming, and if he had then published their 'secret' spots, this would have been his last book.

My opinion is that it's worth the money for those of us new to the area and without the benefit of access to current word of mouth local knowledge.
Also I can see how it would be 'ho hum' and a bit like 'is that all he's got?' to those that have detected the area for a few years.

I might add that it's definitely put the Karratha/Roebourne area back on my list of places I want to revisit.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 8:52 am

a lot of members are not using the search facility near the top of the page to do a bit of research about particular areas that already have been mentioned over time..

writing a book is not on the agenda in respect to the people that took me to a lot of these gold bearing places, otherwise i would have years ago brought something out.

Gold and Ghosts is still a very good ref book.

a lot of places are under lease and even when people do get permission 99% do not write or email their finds, time detecting etc so resourse companies can claim the expenditure...

happy fossicking

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sat 13 Sep 2014, 8:57 am

3 rules to live by, never loan the lawnmower , your missus or books, albo. Laughing
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Sun 14 Sep 2014, 7:42 am

The Golden Rule: Never lend your missus or lawnmower.  

Last edited by Bignuggs on Sun 14 Sep 2014, 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : unnecessary comment)

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum