Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

king brown --mating season

+8
K town swinger
snapper
goldstrijk
Nightjar
Inhere
martinjsto
Digginerup
Banjo
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

king brown --mating season Empty king brown --mating season

Post by Guest Tue 09 Sep 2014, 7:14 am

on the weekend a mate of mine got chased by a 4-5' king brown out near the salt flats -- trust me these things have an attitude problem. lucky for my mate he didn't have a dog with him as this thing would have given it a shake up.

This thing made him run for his vehicle coz it was one angry son of a bitch which must have felt threatened looking for a mate to enjoy a night out under the stars. The snake followed him back to his vehicle and was looking for some romance--well that's what I told me mate, somehow he doesn't agree.  

After a short while, when he thought it was safe, he just started the car and moved about 3 ks away.

With the weather warming up in the pilbra -- snakes are becoming more prevalent now and dangerous.

keep an eye out and stay safe.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

king brown --mating season Empty Re: king brown --mating season

Post by Banjo Tue 09 Sep 2014, 9:57 am

Yes...........you can have that, i'm definitely not a fan of snakes and if that was me I reckon I could of just about jumped onto the roof of my troopy after doing a 9 second 100m lol
Ive got a 5 foot brown snake story, too long to tell but suffice to say had a talent scout had a stopwatch on me they would of signed me up on the spot lol

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Digginerup Tue 09 Sep 2014, 7:06 pm

I would have run too!!, I mean who wants to mate with a king brown anyway Rolling Eyes

Wayne.

Digginerup

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 6:27 pm

had a few more reports of snakes being very active up my way-pilbra--today from prospectors out over the weekend--cleaderville-nickol flats

so keep your eyes open and make sure u know how to apply a tension bandage to the area..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Mon 22 Sep 2014, 6:51 pm

interesting article i found on snake bites in Australia.

"In Australia there are about 3,000 snake bites per year, of which 200 to 500 receive antivenom; on average one or two will prove fatal. About half the deaths are due to bites from the brown snake" I didnt know the dugite is a spotted brown snake and need brown snake anti venom.

http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/anaesthesia/resources/venom/snakebite.html
good advice on treatment and identification if you want to survive a bite
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Tue 23 Sep 2014, 7:34 am

All snakes have bad eyesight, if your mate had not moved, the snake would not have known he was there. Even if they have a go at you, don't move and they
can't pick you from a tree.

This works with all snakes in OZ!
If you are in the US, don't try it with rattle snakes cause they can sense your body heat. They are about as poisonous as our black snake, most likely wont kill you but the venom coagulates the blood and you may lose the limb, same can happen with our black snake.
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:40 am

hmmm, thanks Inhere, don't move you say, so what happens if the snake decides to curl up at your feet for a power kip lol
I guess the flies attracted by my now brown undies will get too annoying for him.

Yes, I cant wait for the day to try this out :)

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 23 Sep 2014, 5:08 pm

The juvenile Mulgas are on the move in the NE goldfields, encountered three this month. Many empty eggs in the creeks.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Wed 24 Sep 2014, 7:27 am

Thanks for the info Martin, very good, have printed out and will keep in the ute along with some wide bandages, ya never know! Twisted Evil
Goldstrijk

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:21 am

Guys look into Setopress bandages as all bandages are not equal when coming to treating snake bites, the Setopress bandages help to get the compression right with visual indicators in the bandage.
more info here
http://bsar.org/setopress

I paid approx. $15 for each bandage online, small price to pay and in the heat of the moment certainly helps with getting the tension exactly right and gives some peace of mind you have applied the bandage correctly.

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

king brown --mating season Empty Reply with quote Re: king brown --mating season

Post by goldstrijk Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:28 am

Thanks Darren, I'll be getting some of those

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:45 am

Fingers or toes need to remain exposed to check for circulation so as explained in that link if the bandage is too tight and fingers/toes are turning blue you would then have to reapply the bandage which is not ideal.
Also recommended to bandage straight over clothing, this was one thing I wasn't sure on but happy to be corrected because I don't want to throw false information out there.

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:48 am

Exactly where did you see them Pete Hahaha king brown --mating season 3179412840

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:27 pm

Isn't the bandage just to keep the limb immobilized, not to stop blood circulation
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:43 pm

hi Snapper, the venom travels in the lymphatic system of the body, that's why it is important to move as little as possible because the adrenalin will speed up the whole process, the idea of the compression via bandages is to slow the venoms travel, so if bitten on the foot you then have to bandage as far as bandages will allow you, preferably to the groin area.
You then should immobilise the limb via splints.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu 25 Sep 2014, 7:06 am

For anyone who hasn't already downloaded this PDF manual or you can drop into your local WA Police Station and pick one up in booklet form.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ca.com.au%2F~cabell%2Faids224.pdf&ei=oE0jVIujK4_N8gWdrYHwCg&usg=AFQjCNGG1C7x-rcxLGzwplOv-OM8U9fKfw

Last edited by Nightjar on Thu 25 Sep 2014, 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Thu 25 Sep 2014, 7:59 pm

Couple of browns doing the horizontal mambo.

king brown --mating season Brown_11
king brown --mating season Brown_12

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:29 pm

excellent guide nightjar, cheers i found some quandong last trip out just ripe. collected a few of the seeds for a mate.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:39 am

This might help identify the snake that bit ya on the bum and I don't know anyone who will suck the venom out     king brown --mating season 1533492315   klsdlbne   affraid    Very Happy  
Yeah I know, it's not funny   Evil or Very Mad    

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/ID_index.htm
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:35 pm

just read a bloke got nailed by possible a brownie out lavo, they say bit 2 or 3 times while trying to kill the snake and collapsed 40 mins later in camp without seeking medical assistance.
sounds like a smart fella
well he won't do that again, 3rd snake bite in wa in the last week. 1st fatality since 2010.
careful out there pep's
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Tue 14 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

yeah not good to hear, I guess we will never know what happened initially but geez the rest doesn't make much sense.

EDIT : hmmm, just searched and read the story, tried picking it up.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by wandwaver Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

I whacked a baby mulga on the head when detecting out at Glen Station, Cue. Looked down and realised what I had done and then saw another one! They were the same colour as the sticks on the ground except for the black head and body bands. If they hadn't have moved at the time,I probably would have trodden on them. I moved away slowly while looking for their mumma.It has made me a bit more wary of detecting under trees and bushes, and I will be studying the snake charts a lot more!

wandwaver

Back to top Go down

Post by madtuna Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:15 pm

aussie18 wrote:just read a bloke got nailed by possible a brownie out lavo, they say bit 2 or 3 times while trying to kill the snake and collapsed 40 mins later in camp without seeking medical assistance.
sounds like a smart fella
well he won't do that again, 3rd snake bite in wa in the last week. 1st fatality since 2010.
careful out there pep's

Read the news report, made it sound like he was saving another man from being bitten and safe guarding the staff at the shops and council chambers. Kims daughter Kirsty who works in Lavo witnessed it.

They neglected to say that he was drunk and a bunch of them were stoning it to death with bricks, rocks and beer cans.
He got nailed a few times then they all went back to camp to continue drinking. They were darn lucky that only one bloke got bit!
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:26 pm

Locals Steve or from out of town ?

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:49 pm

cheers steve, the real bloody news. thought something was suspect as this apparently happened last Wednesday, hmmm took nearly a week to make it online.
maybe thought the woobbla would be a good anti-venom hahahaha.
sorry this story has taken a funny turn
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum