Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bushnell Backtrac GPS

+2
Narrawa
Mingo
6 posters

Go down

Bushnell Backtrac GPS Empty Bushnell Backtrac GPS

Post by Mingo Tue 12 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the above Bushnell Backtrac hand held GPS. I just got back from a week on my own in an area I'm not familiar with, hence the need for this little fella. Well it tried it's best to get me lost at every given moment, no matter which marker or what conditions, it would point anywhere but correct, in the end had to go to a salt lake and keep a visual on things. Strangely enough, I got back one time by watching the distance meter retracting at a correct rate and headed in that direction which was no-where near where the arrow wanted to take me, even the compass setting was way out.
So, can anyone tell me if they have suffered from this machine so I can have rational debate with the makers.
cheers.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Bushnell Backtrac GPS Empty Re: Bushnell Backtrac GPS

Post by Narrawa Tue 12 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

Iv been using the backtrack 5 since it came out.....and yes, their rubbish. But!...you had your wits about you and quickly learned how to use the distance meter to get you home. They have a few good features, but unfortunately, they want to take you home via the scenic rout, which is not always on your agenda. Very Happy 

There is a market for such a simple GPS unit like these.....but, Bushnell failed with their attempt, not once mind you, with their other versions also. Friends of ours have the smaller unit.....it does the same.

Good luck voicing your concern, they never replied to mine. Embarassed 

PS, each time you turn it on to get you back to camp/car/quad/wherever...try the figure 8 procedure.
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:13 pm

drifting off ,but the good ol garmin is hard to beat , some choose the Magellan but sometimes they are way too slow to catch the sats after start up .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:19 pm

yep i agree Albo, I use the 62s and have no issues.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm

Yep bought a Bushnell Backtrac for the missus we had the same problem arrow pointing in wrong direction and yeah I figured by using the distance meter you could get out of trouble but good thing the missus never wandered too far from the car. Dont use it any more got a Garmin Etrex.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Tue 12 Aug 2014, 9:29 pm

cheers for the feedback, anyone try to get their money back or stop the sale of these things cos someone is gunna get seriously dead believing in them

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Tue 12 Aug 2014, 11:24 pm

found a fellow wandering around the bush totally lost relying on a phone App, he spent 2 hrs in disarray with no water and batteries in phone going flat. only good around the city.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Fri 22 Aug 2014, 2:01 pm

I returned my Bushnell Backtrac the other day, it is getting sent back for testing. I'll let y'all know the outcome and attitude, they may have just glued the digital arrow the wrong way up.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Fri 22 Aug 2014, 6:35 pm

Garmin Etrex H, simple as, although you have to mark in the start point as a waypoint each time.
I always waypoint the car and then turn it off. Waypoint any nuggets and turn it off. If I need to find the car or camp I turn it on and Go To.

Always carry a couple of spare AA's although even when almost flat it comes on long enough to get a direction to walk.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Sat 23 Aug 2014, 8:06 am

The concept of the Bushnell is awesome, so quick and able to mark the car, bike and a nuggy spot, plus a compass, exactly whats needed if your on the bike and moving around, but alas.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Thu 25 Sep 2014, 6:21 pm

I received a replacement Bushnell Backtrack GPS, so far so good, the new one is superior to the old one holding 5 locations to go back to, it also has lat/long, temp, elevation, compass, and clock. This one does what it should and is giving what appears to be accurate directions from 30mtrs to 500 km's, the compass is good too as it allows you to double check.
Will return to this site if it plays up, but.........

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Thu 25 Sep 2014, 9:44 pm

Bugga!!...should have sent mine back.....3yrs ago.Rolling Eyes
Still use it, but carry the Magellan 710 as back up.
The temp gauge is a plus ay.???.. Very Happy

The battery clip broke in the first yr....this season the battery puller-outerer broke off....now you have to bash it to get the b@stards out. Evil or Very Mad
Will glue a new one in there one day. Razz
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo Sat 27 Sep 2014, 8:16 am

Narrawa, take your Bushnell back, they have accepted the unit is faulty and no questions were asked or explanation offered, that to me makes them open game, I'm sure you never set out to waste your money on a piece of crap.
As for your repair and maintenance programme on electronics, your not rough, your corrugated.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum