Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab Eureka Gold opinions?

+4
NuggieDreamer
aussie18
Bignuggs
Hillsboy
8 posters

Go down

Minelab Eureka Gold opinions? Empty Minelab Eureka Gold opinions?

Post by Hillsboy Mon 02 Jun 2014, 8:35 am

Hey a quick question, just wondered what ppl think of the Minelab Eureka Gold detector?

I'm no expert but it seems to me it could be a great option for us as we dont want to use many of the other features other models have?

We are thinking about buying something instead of hiring and have a small budjet, def can't afford anything in the 5k range...

Cheers

Hillsboy

Back to top Go down

Minelab Eureka Gold opinions? Empty Re: Minelab Eureka Gold opinions?

Post by Bignuggs Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:19 am

I'm not sure if anyone on the forum has used the EG but it should be ok for small surface stuff.  The machine is not in the same league as a 5000 which most of us use.
Depends what your budget is.  If you can afford to spend up to $2,500 then I would be looking at getting a machine that starts from the GP Extreme and up.

check this out, get into the auction but I wouldn't pay anymore than $2,300 (contact the seller, make them an offer of $2,100 for outright sale and you pay the postage, if it doesn't sell at auction, make the offer again).
it only offers 1 coil, so in my opinion that keeps the price down.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or, get in the auction for this and it ends soon ( about 2pm WA time today ). don't bid anymore than $900 as they are only $1190 new.

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Minelab Eureka Gold opinions? Empty Re: minelab eureka gold opinoins ?

Post by aussie18 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

personally wouldn't waste my money, never used one and others may have different idea's but I'd go with cliff's suggestions hillsboy.
I hire a 5k, cannot afford to buy thanks to my bills hanging over me, 12 more months before I'm in the market. maybe a new detector out by then !!
aussie18
aussie18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jun 2014, 6:34 am

The Eureka Gold finds gold that the GPX machines run straight over and its a light weight machine for the kids or mrs to have a go with.

It has 3 frequencies to play with but found the 60Khz a favourite.

It is also a must have if there is signs of reefing gold

There are basically 2 coils to use with this machine and its very accurate with its ability to detect fine gold and gold specs in species..

Its in the same class as anyone who wants to buy a Gold Bug 2. both are very good machines and at about $1000 well worth the expense to add to your existing armoury.

hope this helps..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sat 07 Jun 2014, 10:41 pm

Possibly the most popular detector for all-round prospecting is the Minelab Eureka Gold VLF maybe what a dealer may tell you although it does have some cool functions like; automatic ground balancing, three (3) operating frequencies (6.4 kHz, 20 kHz and 60 kHz) with an iron reject switch which can be useful in some instances to identify rusted iron metal if treasure hunting or discriminating iron, but for gold detecting you'd leave it off for better depth sensitivity and target response.
VLF machines detect relatively shallow targets, are generally lighter and can detect differences in metal types making them good for treasure hunting and ones with higher operating frequencies make better gold detectors like the Fisher Gold Bug 2 (71.1kHz which can detect extremely small nuggets, but only has a fixed manual Ground Balance and has to be adjusted constantly to get the most reward)

PI Machines do not discriminate as well as VLF machines.  But you really need every advantage in the hammered metal detecting grounds of WA in mineralised ground. PI's handle that better. Pulse Induction Machines (PI) will go deeper for large nuggets and PI machines are specifically designed for Gold Prospecting.

So, as Big Nuggs suggests, get the best PI machine you can afford.

New; Minelab GPX5000 being $6500 (Megabucks!! comes with both 11" Mono and DD coils and only ML machine that has their potent Fine Gold Timing), Garret ATX $4000 (heavy, 14"DD coil small gold machine), Minelab SDC2300 (Soon to be released, 8" coil small gold machine) $4000, Whites TDI Oz $2100 (some compare it to older ML machines like the GPX 3000, 4000, 4500)

A S/Hand Minelab GPX5000 still is pretty pricey, but the bonus may be it comes with more extras in the deal for @ $4500-5000. Jase is right tho, everyone eventually gets one because it is just as good a shallow or deep seeking machine for WA.

For @ $1200 a VLF like a Fisher GoldBug2 is arguably better at finding Gold than a clapped out machine and comes with 2 different search coils for shallow stuff and it still holds it's value even after being released on the market 10 years ago! 

If still wanting to buy new and save $$$ the Whites GMT (VLF) is still under $1000 and plenty of professional prospectors swear they are the best bang for your the sake of your wallet.
kwdf

Last edited by NuggieDreamer on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Mon 09 Jun 2014, 7:55 am

Short n sweet!!

Waste of time and $$ for WA ground..
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:53 pm

consise Pete I agree , an old 2100 would do better for the money .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:53 am

Have seen people throw away those 2100 in disgust too on the WA goldfields
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:51 pm

are well Snapper you would have to agree they were a great detector & still are , would you say 80 percent depth in comparison to a 5000 , they are still in for a good chance if you enjoy a wander round the edges instead of not scumming subgrammers .
those same people would probly chuck a 5000 out as well after a day , just not cut out for it that's all .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Wed 11 Jun 2014, 5:55 am

Albo I havn't used an older PI machine so I can only go by what I see and hear about them and there are some great stories about their big finds over the years that's for sure.
Hillsboy has a hard decision to make, I don't have an answer for him but he has a lot of research to find out whats going to suit him, maybe try and scrape up enough for a second hand 4500.
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

fully agree , the 4500 knocks out the ground noise hot rocks but if you want to spend 1500 dollars or so , a 2100 would be my pick above any vlf .Remember the gold finds stalled with vlf detectors then the pulse technology came out & the huge finds came in , myself I wouldnt bother with vlf ,only for reef checks maybe , any how each their own .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

just be careful when buying hillsboy, there are a few cheap minelabs GPX around and they look Fake. there are a lot of fakes out there not worth the postage cost.
ensure you get the serial number and check the authenticity on the minelab site.

and

good luck

Last edited by martinjsto on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:20 am

Last month i picked up a s/h Quacky duck "GoldBug 2" for $400, swapped 8 grams of scrappy bits for it and it's already pulled it's price in small gold off the local Reef dumps, these are ratsh!t for any other ground but on Qrtz dumps nothin gets near em..

SD2100 @ $1200 - $1500 would be the perfect entry level beeper for any new chum to this game
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:33 am

yeah pete they are noisy on minerised ground but they do like the hard rock for fine gold leaders.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:53 am

oneday wrote:yeah pete they are noisy on minerised ground but they do like the hard rock for fine gold leaders.

regards
oneday

And it leaves the misses's x-terra 705 runnin the 18khz coil for dead on species
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum