Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm

4 posters

Go down

Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm Empty Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

well Maddog decided to see whether we could pick up a 56gram nugget buried at about 15" in typical country here in Ktown's outback.

had mine (45) in enhanced but not too much action..flicked it to Normal, Manual tune about 165 then tried 80 and 195--gain about 6 stabilizer at 7, target volume 17, inverted, very slow and slow both worked, Deep on front panel-fixed-mono coz that's all we ever use-and yep the nugget howled at me.

When I first had it in enhanced it didn't respond to good and at normal detecting speed would have walked right over it.

the manual tune frequencies didn't make any difference to the target response--all nailed it about 4" above the target.

The master blaster had a go with his 5k and nailed it straight away at first attempt and thought he was the ducks nuts, only problem was that wasn't the target--ground noise--and when we pointed out where the target was he got very surprised that his machine didn't pick it up.

so lesson learnt --when in the bush it pays to take a decent piece of gold with u on a leather neck lass then dig yah own hole and see what test results u get. interested.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm Empty Re: Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm

Post by Woteva Sun 26 Jan 2014, 6:18 pm

Interesting Oneday, how did you dig a 15" hole up your way, I thought it was pretty hard country.

I believe you should always test your machine before leaving camp. What I do is dig a trench to required depth and then using a tent peg or similar punch horizontal holes 15cm+ long (at required depths) into the side of the trench. Then using test nuggets/lead heat shrunk or taped to something stiff (plastic straw or wooden skewer) slide your target into the horizontal hole. By making several punch holes at different depths you can then experiment with various settings until you get your machine set up to its best.

By punching holes into the side of your trench you are detecting through "undisturbed" ground and its relatively easy to prepare several size targets and experiment. Unfortunately I don't have a 56gmr as a tester but I have plenty of lead which works just fine. The last "gold" tester I took out in the field I lost, luckily for me it was only a 0.2gmr so if your up Yalgoo way and find a 0.2gmr its probably mine.

Regards

Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm Empty Re: Testing the sensitivity of the 45 & 5k--mmm

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jan 2014, 6:38 pm

we figure with the disturbed ground that the sphere of influence has no influence and one would have thought that the pulse of the 45 & 5k would have to work a bit harder to detect the target.

I'm no guiro on the matter but what we did certainly got us adjusting our machines..

the ground we were on was a flat plain and I would say over time its seen its fair share of flooding.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinegold Tue 11 Mar 2014, 6:10 pm

Did you squash the ground as you refilled the hole? Makes a big difference!
Shinegold
Shinegold

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:20 pm

Interesting Oneday, usually never change out of Enhance.
Tune; 90-100 Gain; 8 - 12 Stab; 7 - 10
Never play around with testing.

Sounds like it is definitely worth taking the time?

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm

Gday Ray
Just came across this post of yours, very interesting and I had heard something like this a while back. Did maddog use the same settings as you on his 5000. Or was he in a smooth setting? Seems weird that the 4500 would pick it up and not the 5000?
Cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:05 pm

Yeh mate --he picked it up--cant remember his settings though. He may have even tweeked his machine prior to me getting there.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum