Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

suggested detector

2 posters

Go down

suggested detector Empty suggested detector

Post by martinjsto Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm

Hi everyone,
I am looking at getting a detector for karen my wife for the goldfields. anyone who met us at the muster can see that she needs a light weight unit that can handle a knock or two. i considered the 3030 but jeff from reeds prospecting said weighted in at 5lbs +. .
i also looked at the new Garret ATX also weights in at 2.5kg and for ease of use for her.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
what is your thoughts on the performance these units in the goldfields of WA and does anyone have any other suggestions otherwise.
thanks
Martin and Karen

Last edited by martinjsto on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new info on weight)
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

suggested detector Empty Re: suggested detector

Post by Bignuggs Sat 14 Sep 2013, 1:02 pm

G'day Martin,

Like you say, weight of the machine has to be taken into consideration.  Have you checked the machine weights of the ML range of detectors ?
I haven't checked weights but at 2.5 kilo's, the Garrett might be the lightest.  Would it be possible to have a harness specially made to suite Karen.
I think some of the units can still be taken off the Shaft and worn on a belt.
Now ya got me thinking and seeing it's pouring down raining today and I can't mow the lawn or get the whipper snipper out
(what a shame that is  lol!  ) it'll give me something to do on the internet  Very Happy 
Let's see what we can do.

Cheers
Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sat 14 Sep 2013, 1:39 pm

thanks cliff, the belt mount is an good option and a custom harness, looking into this option currently. also looking at possibly some kind of adaption to her walker or mounting a coil under it. I will have to make it out of a non conductive frame like carbon fiber. i havnt looked at other ML detector weights yet. I saw a trolley setup at Reeds that could be adapted but it would need a motor drive and i was told that can effect the detector through EMI. hmmm, strap her into a quad dragging a coil, LOL suggested detector 3179412840 probably find the money hole.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

Like the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.  I was thinking carbon fibre for the walk frame also with maybe a setup on the frame to swing the coil a bit.  Might get a bit expensive tho.
Another thought, I wonder if you can get extra light carbon fibre shafts somewhere to reduce weight and have the control box mounted on the walker.

Now we got some brilliant inventive minds on this forum, so guys lets see what we can come up with.

And the idea of a quad bike (would have to be a step thru like a scooter) dragging a detecting mat is a fine idea.  Once again, it could be pricey but it is a simple solution and the only problem then is, arguing over who wears the headphones  Very Happy   

cheers 
Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum