Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magellan Triton 500

4 posters

Go down

Magellan Triton 500 Empty Magellan Triton 500

Post by madmax800 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:06 pm

Hi all,

While on the Muster my GPS somehow failed, Now it only says File, Run, HDD, Update and help when Its started but nothing loads, Also, the only way to turn it off is remove the battery's.

I tried to connect to Vantage Point but you need to hit enter on connect to PC once the USB cable is connected but that doesn't show on the Triton,

ANY IDEAS PLEASE

madmax800
madmax800
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Magellan Triton 500 Empty Re: Magellan Triton 500

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 6:31 pm

Max,

I've had GPS's fail a few times before now. On a couple of occasions I've taken to a Magellan repair place where they've replaced the software with an updated version for free and all was well. BUT - I've had another occasion when it totally U/S and I had to bin it. Take it in and get a opinion. Magellan is a division of Thales Systems. They used to have a place in Osborne Park off Scarborough Beach RD.

Best I can come up with Max,

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by madmax800 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:44 pm

Thanks Cat,( why you no show at Muster ?)I live in Adelaide so its a bit far to go.I called Magellan today and after talking with them for over an hour they kept saying the Triton is discontinued and they are not interested in fixing it.The Triton cost me $825 four years ago and they couldn't care less. They offered me $140 trade in if I bought a new GPS unit from them. Then to get the same car and Quad holders that's another $90 extra.

What a joke, looks like I done my $900 + on Magellan.
I find it impossible to believe that a $825 GPS unit that's four years old is no big deal as far as Magellan are concern.
I feel robed but what can I do.

madmax800     Mad
madmax800
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:48 pm

Geez John, if that's the way magellan carry on, I'm glad I stuck with a Garmin unit. GPS units are costly but you might have to change again.

Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madmax800 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

too dam right Cliff, You know Magellan can stick their GPS units now. I just hate buying the best and then getting screwed . I asked if the Triton was discontinued as it turns out to be a dud, they never answered.
madmax800
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 11 Sep 2013, 9:00 pm

It's a costly game we are in. Even my garmin gets a bit funny at times. I'm still trying to work out why it cuts out my internet connection when I connect to the computer.
I gotta contact garmin about that. for the money you pay for the units, you would expect better service. Maybe I expect too much.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Wed 11 Sep 2013, 10:57 pm

Maybe if Magellan knew you were a member on this forum and that now we are aware of their gps unit issues and lack service or care factor they might have thought twice about their business practices.
I need to buy a GPS for myself as I have been borrowing a Garmin etrex .
Think I will stick to Garmin.
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 11:39 am

I must admit that I was a big fan of Magellan over Garmin for years ever since GPS units became publicly available back in the late 80s. Magellan at the time were very good with the technology and the service. But some years ago they were taken over by Thales (USA?) and since then service and even the models are far & away second to Garmin in my opinion. Thales is one of the biggest navigation, marine and sub-sea technology companies in the world. They make billions from navies, oil companies and govts all over the world. Thus, unlike Minelab under Codan, our tiny GPS units aren't worth the trouble and I doubt raving on here would make one iota of difference.

But try anyway:D 

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by madmax800 Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:17 pm

I have sent Magellan a copy of this thread and have offered to delete the thread if they act in a manner , I , a consumer would expect.

madmax800
madmax800
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:37 pm

Have a word with your consumer affairs.

Last edited by silverback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
silverback
silverback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum