Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64

+2
martinjsto
Shelby23
6 posters

Go down

Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64  Empty Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64

Post by Shelby23 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

POLICE are seeking the public’s help to find a 64-year-old Victorian prospector who is missing near Laverton in WA's Goldfields.
Jacobus Bastiaan De Wit, 64, was prospecting in the Laverton area. He was last seen about 8am on Friday May 24 at the Laverton Caravan Park.

He is fair skinned, approximately 185cm tall, of solid build with short brown/grey hair.

He is driving a silver Toyota Landcruiser with personal plates J De-WIT and is towing a Jayco Caravan with the Victorian registration plate P49302..

Mr De Wet regularly calls his wife to check in but has missed the last few scheduled phone calls.

Police are concerned for his welfare and are asking anyone with any information regarding his whereabouts to call 131 444.

Read more: http://www.perthnow.com.au/national-news/western-australia/laverton-search-for-missing-prospector-jacobus-de-wit-64/story-fnii5thn-1226657919204#ixzz2VKorE5a1

Shelby23

Back to top Go down

Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64  Empty Re: Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64

Post by Guest Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

mate I reckon this poor bugger is bogged somewhere out bush in a secret location and that's why he has no mobile connection--obviously no sat phone..they are looking for his vehicle..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64  Empty Re: Laverton: Search for missing Goldfields prospector Jacobus De Wit, 64

Post by martinjsto Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:04 pm

I would say so too Oneday, i believe there has been a lot of rain through there and no time in between for it to dry out. hopefully he has plenty of food and water and can wait it out or be found soon. its a stark reminder of the unpredictable WA bush for everyone and we should all at least get a personal EPIRB. for 300 to 400 dollars better still a sat phone.
I sure hope he is ok.
Martin
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

You would think someone in town knew which way he was heading, maybe not. Like ya's say, sitting out the wet and waiting for dry.
Lets hope so.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

Hi all, we havn't had to much rain but the ground is very soft under foot,
i dont think we have had enough rain to get bogged in a 4wd, even if he bogged the van the 4wd should get out,
i will keep alook out and let the guys on tour know as their traveling at the moment cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

lets hope hes only got a flat battery & stayed with his rig or better still found a patch & has decided to do a reo ,albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

Here's the latest update at 9.20am WA time today.

A plane was dispatched yesterday to conduct an aerial search for Jacobus Bastiaan De Wit, 64, who was last seen at the Laverton Caravan Park on May 24 before going prospecting.

Laverton Police are optimistic they will find Mr De Wit, who is believed to have a reasonable supply of food and water and was driving a vehicle with a caravan in tow.

Senior Sergeant John Lehane said the man’s wife had called police after her husband had missed several scheduled phone calls.

"She was concerned she hadn’t heard from him for almost 12 days and they have an agreement that if he ever went out prospecting, he would contact her within a week," Sen Sgt Lehane said.

"It’s been well past a week so she raised concerns and we commenced looking for him yesterday.

"The information we’ve got is he was prospecting in two local mine areas which are probably about 50 or 60 kilometres north-east of the Laverton town site.

"But we’re also receiving further information that he could have been prospecting in quite a number of other areas within the Laverton region.

"So we’ve organised a plane and we’ll do some aerial searches."
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironstone Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

Thank you gentleman and ladies for your comments,
Jacobus(John) was not lost,but with the heavy rain,We were forced to stay in camp (4 4x4's,5 people)and wait till the ground got harder,there was no drama's except qld lost the game.A friend of mine that came across the Anne Beadell Hwy with me was contacted and ask for a character reference for ME ? as john and I left the caravan park and went about 100 klm's north of laverton to prospect.And yes i do carry a personal epirb with GPS,it's good for about 10 metres.
Thanks again
Garry

Ironstone
Contributor

Number of posts: 23
Registration date: 2011-03-29

Ironstone
Ironstone

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:56 pm

good news Garry, you cant blame anyone for raising the alarm i Guess, better to be safe than sorry. hope you all got some gold and I am glad everyone is safe.
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:17 pm

good to see hes OK.

wasn't hard to work out when it rains..maybe he should invest in a sat phone to lessen the stress and its a good investment

quite a few prospectors up here have one and apart from the initial cost I think my life and the wellbeing of my family being informed are well worth the $2000.00

just remember that it usually takes about 3-5 days to dry the roads out as long as it doesn't rain..and its sunny and windy.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 06 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

All's well that ends well cheers
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down