Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnet

+4
shorty
Flying kiwi
martinjsto
Biggest Kev
8 posters

Go down

Magnet Empty Magnet

Post by Biggest Kev Mon 13 May 2013, 8:59 pm

Well we're all packed and heading off to Mt Magnet in the morning for couple of days then head over to Sandstone, be gone for a week or so, will post the story when we get back.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Magnet Empty Re: Magnet

Post by martinjsto Tue 14 May 2013, 12:27 am

good luck out there Kev. Very Happy

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Tue 14 May 2013, 7:43 am

Good luck mate

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 May 2013, 7:52 am

don't forget a few happy snaps--have a good one.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Tue 14 May 2013, 7:07 pm

Good luck Kev and may all your nuggets be big ones.
Chris
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sun 19 May 2013, 10:00 am

Good ol MT magnet , got lost in the Bermuda magnet triangle lots , that is commercial , corner ,& grand hotels... having said that I found my largest piece there , an ugly flat 24 oz piece in latterite, northside of town, west of the welcome shaft , now an open cut pit.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 19 May 2013, 1:31 pm

that is a great find albo, cheers covers the trip so relax and enjoy. lweg

Last edited by Bignuggs on Sun 19 May 2013, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change of username)
martinjsto
martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Mon 20 May 2013, 10:23 am

Sorry if I misled you any , just saying I found that one in Magnet , but it was in the 2000 days , still my biggest bit . it was large and deep & I wonder why it hasn't happed again after 5 upgrades & many more hours put in . The focus these days seems to be on the nugget find count of subgrammers,small coils etc, good to win the nugget tally comp , but it wont put rum on the bar. lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 20 May 2013, 6:32 pm

Many years ago, I worked on the Hedland/Maggot road when they were pouring the concrete for the washways.
Don't blame me if they are all gone Magnet 3179412840

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 21 May 2013, 10:25 am

yes Cliff plenty of yarns on road making gravel pit gold finds , how about the one 30km nth of meeka , or the kumarina to Wiluna gas line track ,or the NT loop road made around Pine creek.... just to mention a few ..... any others from members , um didn't think so lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 22 May 2013, 2:01 pm

hey Kev

dont forget the action shots of that speci getting mashed Twisted Evil

cheers Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Magnet Empty We're Back

Post by Biggest Kev Wed 22 May 2013, 7:06 pm

Got back yesterday just as the rain was coming. Spent the first 2 nights in Magnet I found a small .02gram piece my mate picked up 3 pieces, then we headed over to Sandstone for the APLA club meet. We prospected in different area's south west of Sandstone my mate picked up a couple of small pieces all toll, the rest of the club members were quiet with only a few finds one member found a gold sovereign near some old timer diggings. On the third day I was wandering down a slope to a dry creek bed, walking across I kept swinging the detector and got a signal on the rocky bed, I leavered a couple of rocks out of the ground and kicked them aside, when I swung the coil over the hole the target was gone I immediately checked the rocks and one of them a large piece of quartz was giving a signal. This can't be a hot rock I thought as its quartz but I could'nt see any sign of gold anywhere on the rock. I could see a crack through one end of the rock so I layed into it with my pick and a small piece broke off, it was then that I saw the 2 points of gold in the clean fractured piece, I'm now getting excited because this is a house brick sized chunk of quartz, anyway now that I'm home I have now broken pieces of it and it looks like I'll be lucky to get 4 or 5 grams out of it, will let you know once I've dollied it all and panned it out. All except for 2 species I've promised to the ladys.
We left Sandstone on the Monday and stayed over night at MT Magnet my mates wife picked up another piece before we headed home yesterday as the clouds were building and rain started coming down. We all had a super time met some club members and chewed the fat around the fire, good times gonna do it again soon.
Cheers Kev

PS Oh yeah forgot to tell ya's all I'm a proud owner of a GPX 4500 just got it today. cheers

Magnet K110
Magnet K210
Magnet K310
Magnet K410
Magnet K510

Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 May 2013, 7:09 pm

great story Kev and nice pics to go with it..

thanks for sharing

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Wed 22 May 2013, 8:43 pm

nice pieces Kev, that could of been a huge find you just dont know,anyway there should be more than a few grams for your efforts there buddy
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Thu 23 May 2013, 6:52 am

nice one kev some good looking ground Cool

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM Thu 23 May 2013, 6:37 pm

Great story and good photos.

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Magnet Empty Dollied & Panned Specimen

Post by Biggest Kev Fri 24 May 2013, 2:59 pm

Hi All,
Well I got stuck into smashing the specimen today,busted it up into small pieces and fed them into the dolly pot (first time I've used it) then panned the crushed rock. I did 3 pans and so far this is the result in the pics not much gold but its a start. The thin orange bit in the pan is copper wire, as I swept the floor and put it all into the pot.
The 2 rich pieces I gave to the missus and a lady friend.
Cheers Kev

Magnet K111
Magnet K211
Magnet K311
Magnet K411
Magnet K511

Last edited by Bignuggs on Fri 24 May 2013, 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : using attachments chews up forum storage space.)
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Fri 24 May 2013, 3:09 pm

These are the 2 rich pieces I kept off the specie.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Fri 24 May 2013, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo has already been posted)
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 24 May 2013, 3:13 pm

another not well known spot at magnet .... T junction road from magnet to gero hits north hwy... go in a 1km east or so , fences wont allow . yool have to chase the entry ..... but its all in there too !

Last edited by albo on Sun 26 May 2013, 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Fri 24 May 2013, 8:45 pm

Thanks Albo will check it out next time we're up that way. Still plenty pieces waiting to be got and the ground has been flogged to death.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 26 May 2013, 12:24 pm

on the magnetic imagery there are some nice looking hotspots just south of that area between magnet and Iowna (i think i got it right). they are located N/W from some very productive mines and S/E of another group of high GPT mines , geo overlay shows some good structures along the same line with banded ironstone and quartz outbreaks. nice hilly country definitely worth a look, just about all the ground is either pending EL or free

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggest Kev Sun 26 May 2013, 1:09 pm

Thanks Martin, yeah still some good country to walk over up that way, might have a bopeep next month.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Sun 26 May 2013, 9:03 pm

Great photo's Kev. I love that Murchison country.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum