Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Notebook: HDD or SSD?

5 posters

Go down

Notebook: HDD or SSD? Empty Notebook: HDD or SSD?

Post by Pebbles Sun 12 May 2013, 7:27 am

I am looking at getting a small notebook computer to run a mapping program whilst travelling in my 4wd. The model I’m considering (Asus) has a normal HDD. I’m wondering how these perform on rough tracks or should I be looking at something with an SSD.
I would appreciate you thoughts on this.
Thanks.
Col.
PS:I think that the PC will somehow be fixed on the console between the front seats.

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Notebook: HDD or SSD? Empty Re: Notebook: HDD or SSD?

Post by hoolahoopa Sun 12 May 2013, 7:57 pm

Pebbles, never had a drama with my netbook normally just sits on the seat or dash and bounces along, it has a hdd. Did look into the ssd when i purchased mine 2 years or so ago but they were a lot more expensive then. If the money doesnt bother ya than go the ssd i would say. just my opinion anyway.

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Waypoint Sun 12 May 2013, 8:39 pm

Pebbles,
Check out some of the tough books plenty of different configurations available some even have built in GPS. Makes running multiple mapping programs easy.
Waypoint
Waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Tue 14 May 2013, 7:45 am

Thanks guys for your feedback.
Hoola
That is just the info I was looking for.

Waypoint
I wasn’t aware of Toughbooks until you mentioned them. They certainly look the goods, but appear more capable (and more expensive) than I need.

Many, many years ago, probably about the time when the 486 was the Rolls Royce of computers, I remember seeing a little sign next to a colleague’s computer desk. I can’t recall the exact words, but it was something like:

“There has been an alarming increase in more and more thing that I know less and less about!”

And that was back then!

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 14 May 2013, 1:21 pm

This could also give some tips for mounting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Notebook: HDD or SSD? Empty [b]Re Notebook/Laptop SSD Hard Drives[/b]

Post by Dhufish Sun 22 Feb 2015, 1:42 pm

A few things to be aware of with SSD drives - they are like a big SD Card; Very fast with Data transfer (price has come down for 250 GB), have a finite life as in read / write and only empty the recycle bin maybe once a month and most importantly DO NOT DE FRAG THEM EVER as you are using up read/write cycles. Before you image your data across or start from a clean install which is best - clean out all the crap files that we have heaps of copies scattered all over the place. Keep your old drive - if it is after 2008 it should be a SATA drive - you can get a Sata /USB (female to male USB) adapter from any computer place or the net so you can read and copy stuff from the old drive - you may need to turn the PC off when disconnecting the old drive from the USB port (never pull them out without disconnecting- use Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media -the green tick on the Task-bar) - then pull the USB cable out from PC. Keep your old drive in an anti static bag in a small cardboard box - there are always files you need to access or copy over (get one from the computer shop). Treat the drive connection with care as they are fragile when using the adapter - do not force it on. (You also will have a complete outdated backup in case of failure)

Should you do a clean install (which will make it heaps faster again) do a lot of prep work by downloading all the setup file stubs to the old drive in advance eg: Firefox/Chrome, java, flash player, a PDF reader, anti virus, set up files for other programs and so on - then you can install them from the old drive or another. If using windows 7 you will need to copy off all of the Libraries (pictures, documents,music etc onto another drive (8/16/32 GB flash) with new folders - open the old folder - copy the contents (edit / select all/ copy) and paste them into the new open folder (Edit Paste). Your mail client needs to be copied or exported off as well - if using outlook on Win 7 go to C:/Users/ name/ AppData (a hidden file - Control Panel, Folder options, View & untick hide hidden files - change to Show and also untick hide Extensions for known file types)/ Local/ Microsoft /Outlook and copy the complete folder off ( you will need your account & password info) Windows Mail - export the lot off - also export your Bookmarks and saved passwords from your browser. Export you WAB - windows address book. You may need to download Drivers from the Laptop manufacturer (look in Device Manager for conflicts) Anyway that's enough for now , should anyone need help pls contact me through the Forum. BTW write down all your passwords, user names etc.

Keep well Dhufish

Last edited by Dhufish on Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rewrite and more info)
Dhufish
Dhufish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum