Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations for Handheld GPS

3 posters

Go down

Recommendations for Handheld GPS Empty Recommendations for Handheld GPS

Post by nariekone Thu 28 Feb 2013, 5:09 pm

Hey guys,

Just after some recommendatons on what type of handheld GPS to get or any that I should steer clear of?

Cheers,

Kieran

nariekone

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for Handheld GPS Empty Re: Recommendations for Handheld GPS

Post by Bignuggs Thu 28 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

G'day Keiran,

Few questions first.
How much are you willing to pay ?
How often will you use it ?
And what do you want it to do ?
And how accurate do you want it to be ?

There's a lot of good units on the market now. If you just need a basic GPS, the Garmin Etrex will do you fine. If you want something with a colour touch screen, check out the Garmin or Magellan range and do some research on google. There's lots of reviews and they all have Pro's and Con's.

Me, I got the Garmin 550T. Colour touch screen, coz I hate buttons. It does what I want but not exactly cheap in Australia but ya can get it online from the US imported here for about half the Oz price.

It comes down to personal choice and usage. That's not much help to you is it spank

Cheers
Cliff
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nariekone Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

Hey Cliff,

Well id like to get something around $300 but will spend more if it is justified cos id rather do it now rather than upgrade later.

At this stage im not too sure how often it will get used, that will depend on how bad the fever gets me and also the missus!!

I dont need anything super accurate atm I pretty much just want something that I can plot an area or claim with to make sure that I am on the right ground and that has a tracking feature. And most importantly will stop me getting lost Very Happy

Ive been checking out the Magellan 510,610 and 710 and want opinions on whether Magellan is the right way to go and whether or not I should just get the 510 or spend the extra bucks to go for the 6 or 7?

Are you happy with your Garmin 550T?

Thanks,

Kieran

nariekone

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:00 am

First, don't buy a second hand unit from anywhere. I'm not saying it would be stuffed, but technology is growing fast. My personal advice, buy new and get something that can be connected to your computer for updates to internal software and you can make a map from your tracks. If it can't do it, don't get it.
I'm happy with my 550T but I can't help with the Magellan units. The 550 can track you according to available maps without marking waypoints, it surprised me.
Accuracy ? 550T is fairly spot on (couple of metres out from tests but it was in the Perth Metro Area). Old Garmin 60s I had was at least 10 metres out and that was tested against tengraph. But you have the added problem, DMP admit that Tengraph coords are only a guidline, not necessarily accurate.
Garmin or Magellan ? Personal choice and the biggest problem is price and what it can do.
Now I got a headache just thinking about it Razz And I still haven't helped you any have I Evil or Very Mad
There's just too many variables and you have to ask ya self, "what do I need?". They fairly all do the same thing.

Cheers
Cliff

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm

Hey Kieran i have a gps for sale in the for sale section if your interested.

K town.

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by nariekone Sun 03 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

Does it come with all your secret spots marked in it?

nariekone

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Mon 04 Mar 2013, 5:58 am

Hey Kieran for the right price mate a deal could be done so i don't delete the waypoints. tongue tongue

K town.

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum