Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All that Glitters is not gold

2 posters

Go down

All that Glitters is not gold Empty All that Glitters is not gold

Post by golddiggerdave Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:27 am

Hi All,

One of our staff from the Brisbane store had an interesting story about a find that I thought was worth sharing. Has anyone else found something similar to this?

Perfect weather, soft ground after the rain and a new Minelab GPX 5000 metal detector. What more could you ask for?

I began my 2nd outing with the Minelab GPX 5000 in an area that has been flogged like a dead horse for 20yrs or so. Coupled with an 8″ Minelab coil and Rooster Booster, I was amazed how smooth and quiet the machine was running. I picked up many minute fragments of old tin cans and bits of wire all of which had been left behind by other operators.

After a few hours of no luck I switched to a 14″ x 9″ Nugget Finder and went looking for some new ground. Again the machine performed wonderfully and the shotgun pellets were coming thick and fast, but alas the yellow still evaded me.

The day was getting on so my detecting partner and I decided to try one last spot on the way home. It was getting late and still no gold. We decided to call it quits and we were walking back to the car, me swinging casually, and I got a good drop tone signal.

I began to dig and dig and dig – the target now screaming I began to get excited. Still more digging and a white clay began to emerge, then the target was out. the light was now fading as I knelt down to isolate the target, my mate watching on eagerly. Then I saw it……

I picked it up – it was heavy, a good 6 grams. I wiped the dirt off – it was gold!!! We both began to laugh and enjoy the moment.

I then made the mistake of looking closer at the nugget. Something was odd about it, so I scratched it…….

Some dirty bugger had painted a nugget of lead with gold paint!

I have heard many prospectors joke about that, or even the ‘Dick head’ tokens in Victoria, but I never thought I would be unlucky enough to find one of these detecting jokes!

All that Glitters is not gold Cory-fake-nugget

Good Luck and Happy Prospecting

Gold Digger Dave

golddiggerdave

Back to top Go down

All that Glitters is not gold Empty Re: All that Glitters is not gold

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:37 am

well at least it will keep the yarns around the camp fire goin for years to come..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

Tony Mills reckons he and his mates found half a bucket full of the "Dickhead" token many years ago. All that Glitters is not gold 3179412840
If that prick is ever found he'll be lynched! affraid

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 18 Feb 2013, 1:06 pm

That sounds like an area I was in years ago. Some mongrel had scattered thousands of ali ring pulls everywhere and they were all just under the surface.
After half a day of digging them buggers, well, I won't repeat the language I used.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down