Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which medium size mono coil???

3 posters

Go down

Which medium size mono coil??? Empty Which medium size mono coil???

Post by Yellow Hornet Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm

G'day,
Just after a bit of input re coil size. Choosing between NFA 14" round, 17"x11" elip or 16" round to run on a 5000.

I have heard good reports on the 14 and the 17x11 but not much on the 16. Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether the 16 is more prone to EMI as it's getting up in size and or it's sensitivity to smaller sub grammers.

I have the usual assortment of coils up to 18" round, and to date have given the standard 11"mono a caning. The only NFA I currently own is the 14x9 and I have found it doesn't compete with the commander 11 mono either in depth or quietness, even though some people swear by them.

The only mid size coil I have is the 15x12 commander mono, and I have to agree with a comment I heard that "It's like swinging a bbq plate with the weight of it"

Any comments would be appreciated.

Yellow Hornet

Back to top Go down

Which medium size mono coil??? Empty Re: Which medium size mono coil???

Post by Guest Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:06 am

I dont swing round coils except for the 11" ML Mono, but i do have a 17x11 NFA and it's an absolute ripper for sens, depth & very lightweight, practically no touch sensitivity too.
Tell ya what tho, if i had a Commander 18" round Mono i would be very tempted to chop into it and make it a cutout coil like we used to do with the old green SD Dustbin lid coils.
Will be interesting to hear from any members who swing the 16"NFA.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:19 pm

I swing the 16 mono round and have found it to be a very good coil for deep targets and still able to nail the little ones when run in fine gold timings.It is very prone to EMI up here in the North but thats to be expected.

K town.

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Yellow Hornet Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:40 pm

Thanks for the replies Crazy Pete and K town,

I'll see if I can organise a test drive of these particular coils over the next couple of weeks. As K town said the EMI could be a slight issue with the 16".

One thing I like about all 3 of these coils is they are lighter than the 11" commander mono,14" NFA 740g; 16"NFA 800g; 11" commander 830g, and I want it for my general use coil and I prefer not using a bungee or hipstick.

Yellow Hornet

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:07 pm

Probably my most used coil is the 17x11 NF..older model. Yet i also swing the older white 16" round as well....EMI however is up there on the 17x11....and id put this down to the fact it has more windings than the 16"...and is more sensitive than the 16 on the subies. Comparing the two on depth and the 16" wins hands down. While using the 16" tho...your not really looking for sub gramers.

The 17x11 would have to be in my eyes the best all rounder for all the GPX models thus far....Coverage, sensitivity, depth, weight factor and cost. While its a good all round performer.....its only one coil, and will not do the job of all other coil sizes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Yellow Hornet Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

Thanks for the input fellas,
Tried all three coils and the 14 round came up trumps. A fair bit quieter than both the 16 and 17x11 and it handles roughly the same settings as the 11. Stopped at position x2 on the way home and got a .4 piece at about 3 inches, so at least I know it works.

Yellow Hornet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum