Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hand held GPS???

4 posters

Go down

hand held GPS??? Empty hand held GPS???

Post by Jack-Tar Wed 19 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

I am thinking about buying a hand held GPS. I am looking at the Magellan eXplorist 110 or the 310. I like the 310 because you can download topo maps. The Garmen Etrex is also another I am looking at.
What are everyone's preferences?

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

hand held GPS??? Empty Re: hand held GPS???

Post by NuggieDreamer Thu 20 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm

Garmin Rhino combi GPS/UHF 5W radio & electronic compass
Map loadable etc
they show the location of each other simultaneously of other also carring simular units, so your prospecting buddy can see where you are and come for help or keep a fair detector interference distance apart or you can strap one to your dog.
water proof
seems to not affect detector with noise so was my choice.

Best price for 2 of them as a package deal I bought $649.00 at

Check these GPS prices Online
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 20 Dec 2012, 9:34 pm

GPS, it all comes down to what you will use it for. Do you only want to make a track, find ya way back to camp, download/upload stuff from and onto your computer and all the bells and whistles like UHF radio.
It's all personal choice. Recently I bought the Garmin Oregan 550 and I found it to be bloody excellent. When you mark way points on a trip and then down load it onto the garmin mapsource/waypoint manager, I couldn't believe it actually tracks you, not just the waypoints, and it followed the road according to the current map. It also has a camera, colour screen but not radio.
And including postage from the USA, it was $100 cheaper than buying it in Australia. Check this from the mob I got it from, the price has dropped. It's now cheaper than what I paid.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Garmin-Oregon-550-3-LCD-Handheld-Hiking-GPS-010-00697-10-/350663013146?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item51a524f31a

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Fri 21 Dec 2012, 4:31 am

Another tick here for the Garmin Rino 650.
Plenty have similar tracking features, but the uhf makes it just so much better.
At 1/2w. output was still getting perfect back to camp communication from 1.5km.
Very good battery life between charges.
I paid $315 + 12v. charger.
Mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

Thanks for the responses. I already have a GME 5W radio, although it would be handy having all in one combo unit I will more than likely try to keep the cost down. I was thinking that having a unit that can download topo maps would be helpful. Yes or No? Also there are a few apps out there that could be used on my smart phone, does anyone use one of these apps?

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum