Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Fridge

+9
Someday
Jon
Topcat
Inhere
Bignuggs
Narrawa
Dez
madtuna
Rege-PA
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Good Fridge Empty Good Fridge

Post by Rege-PA Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm

Looking to get a good fridge for the bush, any ideas as to reliability and best bang for the buck. :?:

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Good Fridge Empty Re: Good Fridge

Post by madtuna Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:37 am

Hi mate,
I use a can't reccomend highly enough the good old Aussie made 'Fridge Mate'

Made in QLD for Australian conditions. Basically a big icebox with a fridge motor on the side. Unlike an Engel there is no need to buy an outer bag. They use the tried and proven Danfoss motor, which is a tiny bit louder than the Engels, but they seem to be a bit less of a drain on the battery too.

Very tough! Mine is permanantly strapped on the tray off my ute in all kinds of weather and never skips a beat.
If in the event you do need service or advice, thier number is 24/7 and they are great to deal with.
A bit cheaper than the engel too.

Not the worlds prettiest fridge but if I want to pull chicks I walk around shopping centres holding my new grand daughter, not my fridge so pretty doesn't matter.

If you have oodles of money, take a look at the 'Car Fridge' brand.
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Dez Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

Bang for buck

I have one, they use danfoss compressors, never had a problem with it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dez Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:00 pm

I just got the price list for fridge off the group solar buy...

38 litre fridge/7 litre freezer with high temperture resistant design
45 watts
12/24/240v
100 watt solar panel with 15 amp controller
80ah deep cycle battery
$850

42 litre fridge/13 litre freezer
45 watts
12/24/240v
100 watt solar panel
80ah deep cycle battery
$950

Back to top Go down

Post by Dez Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

it uses a domus compressor which is italian design based off danfoss, proven and reliable. The solar group is pretty awesome...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dez Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

No wukkers, I m having a ball here...

Back to top Go down

Good Fridge Empty Good Fridge

Post by Rege-PA Sat 17 Dec 2011, 8:54 am

Very Happy Wow...they all sound great, I`ll have to buy one of each.
Thanks for all the info.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Dec 2011, 9:06 am

I just bought one of these to go in the cruiser, it has a danfos motor and at the price for 80l ya can't go wrong.
I haven't had it on a trip yet but fired it up in the shed and it cools down to temp very quickly.
Will find out how it goes soon I guess.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

Goldstalker, get yourself a backup 240v power supply for that fridge...a friend just had to get himself a new one after using it for a few days.....They get extremely hot and die!!...he bought the weaco converter for $99 to replace it. I believe the pump is the danfos copy.

I use the 40L engel....lives in the pan on the back of my deo...runs off a 100Ahr batt charged with a 60w panel....80W would be better. Its in freezer mode and has been on constantly now for the last 2 months as a freezer.
Its about 8 yrs old, never a problem. I think they are over priced to the shithouse....but they are tonka tough.

Just recently bought a waeco to use in the c/van...danfos pumps are by far nosier than the one used in the engel.....iv slept beside both now and its painfully obvious!!.
The small waeco (32L) uses 3.6A when it settles down after turn on.. much higher when it boots up...the engel uses 2.5A from start up to turn off....the bag you get with the engel is to protect it from scratches...it dont work as the bag rubs the sides of the fridge and the paint is dulled over time.....its not to insulate...if you want to insulate, use Styrofoam between the bag and fridge...works well.
The bag with the waeco is to protect the plastic. Laughing Laughing

Tips
Temp gauges should be placed in the middle of the fridge..not on the walls or floor to get a better idea of temps. Its amazing how the temps very from top to bottom..even in such small fridges like my 32L. Shocked
Styrofoam as above works well shuved between the bag and outer walls.
Aluminum stuck to the roof of those that are plastic or other....aluminum with a wall thickness of 3-5mil is better as it chills very quickly. Good for those with evaporators that only cover the bottom half of the fridge...no names mentioned.(w*e*c*) Laughing
Keep the back of fridge clean from dirt dust and other sh#t that fouls the cooling fins.
Shuv a 12v PC fan in the fridge to circulate the cold air....the smaller ones like a CPU fan or chip fan can be left on permanently as they draw stuff all grunt.
My 2cents worth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 06 Jan 2012, 6:45 pm

Thort I'd stick my 2bobs worth in. Check out the ARB range. mate of mine bought one (takes almost 2blocks, cans that is) and runs absolutely brilliant on a stinkin hot day. There's been no trouble with it so far and it's better than an esky with ice that lasts 5 minutes in the heat.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

OK I'll bite, what is 24v...not 12v?

Or are you writing about the latest "F" series Engel?
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

I've been reading this with interest. Now let me see if I got this correct, if ya fanny fan ain't working it's because it ain't working but it could be off coz it's done it's job until the compressor kicks in again but it all depends if ya gotta metal plate in ya head. That can't be right, I'll start again.
Now depending on the size of ya donga depends on whether the metal plate in ya nut bag cools down quick enough, nope thats not right either.
Now if the fans big, then get away from her quick or you will fall in, nope thats not it.

buggered if I know, it's just a fucking fridge Razz Razz Razz lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm

Neither of yer fridges could feed me for a day never mind mi beers.

40 litre fridge into a 110 gallon keg dont work sorry blokes Evil or Very Mad

hooroo
FG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:47 pm

Keep ya eye on this guy, he'll eat ya fuckin house lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 10 Jan 2012, 7:56 pm

Point his butt towards Canberra, he blow parliament house away with them useless bastards in it Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:08 pm

Crazy pete wrote:
But for christs sake dont belch or fart ay lol!

Bignuggs wrote:Point his butt towards Canberra, he blow parliament house away with them useless bastards in it Razz

All that hot air heading that way, would make thier frudges work overtime then Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

The fans in the fridges better be workin properly Razz and we don't need thermals to drift it over to WA. Imagine the stink from that ar*e lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jan 2012, 8:32 am

fatGUTS wrote:Neither of yer fridges could feed me for a day never mind mi beers.

40 litre fridge into a 110 gallon keg dont work sorry blokes Evil or Very Mad

hooroo
FG

I that you Larry? You're the only bloke I know that signs off with "Hooroo"

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

To get back on the original post....it all comes down to how much you want to spend & the quality of the product.
This subject has been flogged to death on many forums with each product having different pros & cons over each
type of unit.
What you have to look at is:
(1) Reliability in Australian Outback conditions.
(2) How much you want to spend
(3) Energy consumption for the period you wish to use it taking into consideration the power resource you have
to run it...eg. battery capacity, 240v power supply, Solar Energy, generator etc, etc.

One of the best (& this is my opinion only) is the Trailblazer manufactured by Norcoast Refrigeration in Queensland.
They have superior insulation properties & are built for handling the rugged conditions of the Australian Outback.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service wouldn't be using these fridges for their medical supplies if they were not good.

Their website is found here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I purchased one of the first models back in the early 90's (a 60ltr model) & it has traveled over some of the roughest
outback tracks in the hottest ambient temps imaginable & never missed a beat. Always kept my food & beer cold
& the frozen food stuff frozen.
Over the years they have improved with new technology & power consumption is competitive with other models.
Not cheap but you get a good quality unit & their back-up service is next to none!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

Hey Goldstalkergpx
I also bought one of those 80ltr chinese fridges 3 years ago,mounted in the back of my ute and it hasnt missed a beat,running a v80watt solar panel on the roof and 110amp exc battery,i use it on freezer all the time,nothing wrong with them for the price,and have given it a really hard time.
Cheers Jon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Thats good hope then jon, I have used it since my first post and I've had nothing but trouble (but thats my luck)
I went away for a weekend awhile back to see some live bands and had to drink hot rum Good Fridge 729094268 , it wouldn't cool below 24c, I went to a mates place in a town close by to the event and plugged it into the 240v (as I did at home) and it cooled no problem. I did some roadside re-wire and got it going again but nothing below 24c, after running it on the 240v I managed to keep it down to operating temp for about 16 hours and then back up again, once home did some voltage checks and all ok. scratch
Maybe there are some hidden settings on the fridge or I just got a dud. Shocked Good Fridge 729094268

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 7:23 am

Try yelling at it in Manderin or Cantonese. Razz Razz Razz

Isn't it amazing how good the Chinese are at stuffing up about 100% of what they make. affraid affraid affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm

goldnomad wrote:Try yelling at it in Manderin or Cantonese. Razz Razz Razz

I'll give that a go Razz

It doesn't matter what I buy, I can buy the best of the best and it will still have a re-call or be a dud from the start.
Maybe just Karma from a previous life catching up Good Fridge 729094268

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

Buy the misses a new top of the range WOK Razz Razz

Cant hurt can it, and might break the bad WANG CHI thats goin on Razz Razz

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

I can buy the best of the best and it will still have a re-call or be a dud from the star
Im hearing ya!....try this...get someone else to buy it for ya! Laughing

When i buy something now days i walk away asking myself....i wonder if it will work when i get home.? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum