Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick question about quartz?

2 posters

Go down

Quick question about quartz? Empty Quick question about quartz?

Post by pilbarachad Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:41 am

This is one for all the amateur geos out there. Now since taking up detecting ive noticed the myriad of colours that quartz can come in, now im sure everyone has seen the common bleached white looking stuff and the tranlucent looking stuff.

My question is in relation to what minerals are associated with the different colours? Now i quite comonly come across the reddish/brown stained stuff that i assume has iron within it, Smoky grey stuff is pretty common up here aswell, not sure what the grey is associated with? Occaisionally ill find small patches of black quartz, blue/green and yesterday come across purple for the first time (whch happened to be right alongside some exploratory drillings????). Im thinking greens maybe associated with copper maybe??
Anyone one got a quick guide on whatcolours are caused by what minerals???

Cheers
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Quick question about quartz? Empty Re: Quick question about quartz?

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 9:44 am

Here we go, this should help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 09 Dec 2012, 2:26 pm

I collect rocks especially if they scream at me. Probably only hot rocks but it keeps me interested. Here's some pics of quartz varieties taken from the eastern goldfields and known gold bearing ground.
The big piece has a lot of iron in it and the other is stained grey. 2 totally different types but they came from areas where a lot of gold was found.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now this pic is taken from the Calteck link and it's called Chrysoprase. Years ago I came across a seam of this stuff. It was on a back road and a grader had ripped the top off and pieces were everywhere. I had no idea what is was but a gem shop in Hannan St Kal told me it was Opalite. It was a big let down as I thought I had found some Ozzie jade, that was back in the days of the fever Razz
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replys guys.

That link you posted Pete doesnt seem to work for me, ill look into it a bit further and see what i can figure out.

Bignuggs- its funny you included that stone that you thought was jade, as i grabbed a few bits of what i was told is pilbara jade or serpentine (i think) the other day aswell.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 11:20 pm

Hold down CTRL and then click it, maybe ya popup stopper is stopping it or if ya run
Kaspersky thats a total prick too and stops to much opening.
Worked for me.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbarachad Mon 10 Dec 2012, 5:47 am

Yeah thanks Pete-got it working eventually. Cheers.
pilbarachad
pilbarachad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum