Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long does your skid plate last?

+4
Bignuggs
mulgadansa
snapper
toad
8 posters

Go down

How long does your skid plate last? Empty How long does your skid plate last?

Post by toad Tue 16 Oct 2012, 11:14 am

I usually run a NFA 17x11 mono and my first skid plate lasted about 2 months of everyday detecting. The second I wore out in Laverton inside three weeks and the current one has done a month and still looks pretty good.

I find that I wear out the leading edge (toe) and because I run the spoked version I can't turn the skid plate around and continue to use it. I have made it a rule to carry a spare with me all the time now.

Has anyone found that the Nugget Finder skid plates are a little thinner than other brands or perhaps just wear a bit quicker? Not that I would change to another brand as I find the NF's deadly sensitive.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

How long does your skid plate last? Empty Re: How long does your skid plate last?

Post by snapper Tue 16 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

G,day Neil, ive still got all my original skid plates from my n/f coils and ive only bought 1 new skid plate for the 11" comander cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

How long does your skid plate last? Empty Re: How long does your skid plate last?

Post by Guest Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:13 pm

Hi Neil Wink

Mate i personally have a motto! Wink
"If your goin thru skids like Epsom salts your rippin yourself off"
Why ?

Cause i like to run "RED HOT" and the difference i get in performance in " Coil scrubbin on above average settings; - Vs - no scrub; with very extreme settings" is amazing, as long as your open minded on how to tweak the Gpx's and what you wanna hear in the speaker.

My other ANALALITY ;xs;sp How long does your skid plate last? 3189625650 How long does your skid plate last? 3189625650 Is "Coil Control" How long does your skid plate last? 1214499189
Its just not good enough these days with the sensitivity of the 45k & 5k to even have your coil control even nearly as good as we used to swing the 3500 or the Extreme's, It needs to be more Exact to really get the best outta
the blue box's.. and i'm sure many would agree with this even you mate, especially if your on an old Push and sniffin out the
Flea's n Ticks.

As to coil sweep speed, this Agenda has become less of a topic over the last 6 years, and the reason is ?
Minelab Genius & Pure Balls'y Grunt dambit dambit dambit fhsdfg wegr ;xs;sp
Anyways, we can now swing a 16" round coil and miss effen nuthin, and swing it as fast as we used to with the old VLF's when sniffen up a bit.
But the main thing now is, We get "1 Point 5 meters" depth with the same sensitivity and swing speed.

I'm in bloody Heaven lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:39 pm

Gday Toady
See you've been snaffling a bit lately Very Happy
Have a gink at this, it might help, works well for me.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:44 pm

And another thing to think about is, is ya coil constantly scraping the ground. I know it's hard for some people and that's why they have invented gadgets to help with the weight.
Yeah sure, get ya coil on the ground but not that close that ya wearing out the plates. Just my opinion but a couple of centimetres off the surface does the job unless ya got coarse ground.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Tue 16 Oct 2012, 9:41 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Gday Toady
See you've been snaffling a bit lately Very Happy
Have a gink at this, it might help, works well for me.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cheers
Brett

That's a good idea md. The thought had gone through my head to try this next time I replaced the skid plate and I will for sure now.

I do wear out skid plates but I also pick up a lot of small gold.

I'm the same as you Bignuggs. I like my 4500 up as high as I can bear and my coil as low as I can get it. My best to date was 5 bits for 0.7grams.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Oct 2012, 10:32 pm

Thats good sniffin Toad Wink Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Wed 17 Oct 2012, 6:54 am

Yeh Toad, the 14x9 NFA is deadly on the small stuff. That's where I wear my skid plates out, not so much freeball detecting, just scrubbing the ground when I get a "maybe" signal off the tiny pieces and during recovery of little bits.
Normal detecting I don't scrub the ground but tend to bang a lot of rocks.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Wed 17 Oct 2012, 7:17 am

Yeah that's the one Mulgadansa. When I wore the one out so quick at Laverton it was working a patch that was heavily vegetated and I was constantly sliding it under the shrubs and bushes. The pieces were very small too and required you to have the coil as low as you could get it.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:49 pm

This is the sort of post I like, it puts ideas in ya head and we can exchange ideas and it has put an idea in my head. I'll try something and get back to ya's cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lbg dreamer Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:28 pm

People will
Probably laugh
But when I'm going low and slow
Honed in on an area givin me gold
I'll look like I'm vacuuming the ground sideways while walking forward
Trying to push my coil an inch bellow the soil
I get about 2 solid weeks out of a skid
Bit longer if I turn around after each outing
I can nearly get a month
Also depends
On the ground and how many rocks I'm heel toein
And what I'm sweeping out of my coil way with it

lbg dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 6:58 pm

why dont u get some PVC pipe, slice it and heat it round and thus make up some leading edges out of it, this should take the abrasion and protect the skid plate and problem solvered--u shouldnt have to replace a skid plate again..

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday monday on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporaticus Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

I have seen that clear, quite thick, around half a inch diameter hose cut down the middle and stuck around the coil and skid plate, giving it great protection. I don't think you would ever wear out another skid plate and would give a bit more bounce off solid impacts while only holding your coil 2.5 mm or so off the turf.

Back to top Go down

How long does your skid plate last? Empty How long does your skid plate last?

Post by albo Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

Dunno about you blokes but when i get a new coil the first thing to come off is the skid plate , doesnt feel much , but after swinging 6-12 hours depending on the gold coming in ,each gramm of skid plate you dont swing the better & you dont get the build of iron in there either ...when the gold is coming who cares really , they are a disposable in the trade ,albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Tue 19 Nov 2013, 10:17 am

Good to see NF have now released HD skid plates. The original NF skid plates didn't seem as tough as some other brands.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 19 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm

Howdy toad , at the rate im tectin my plates will go another 4 years Very Happy 
been beach fishin southside lately , weed allowing , found an ok spot between the reef , no snags , mullaway n tailor .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed 20 Nov 2013, 7:48 am

Never worn out a skid plate, as a matter of fact threw the dustbin lid cover away years ago coz it kept filling with mineralised dust. Now with the 4500 both the 20" NF & 11" Commander still have the original s/plates.
Hmmm! Maybe this is why the brag jar level doesn't seem to be rising?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Wed 20 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

Gday Peter
Those pesky little ones definitely help top the jar up and I've found close, concentrated work on the ground helps heaps with them. I've always worn out skid plates, right from the get go back in the 70's with the Garretts.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum