Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gold shape

+2
Bignuggs
leinsterlad
6 posters

Go down

gold shape Empty gold shape

Post by leinsterlad Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

ive gerd that gold is more jagged and ruffer in shape the closer it is to its source and more rounded the further its travelled from the source whats your opinions on this
leinsterlad
leinsterlad

Back to top Go down

gold shape Empty Re: gold shape

Post by Bignuggs Sun 16 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

Opinions are varied and you will get a lot of responses here, so here's mine. A geo did tell me, gold travels underground.
I think it is more like moves underground with the movement of the earth. By that I mean the ground we stand on is not constant, it changes all the time. If there is an earthquake in the goldfields, ya might find jagged gold but it doesn't mean you are close to a source.
I have found smooth pieces in the old workings amongst the dugout rock but I have also found rough pieces in the middle of nowhere on flat ground.
I'll leave this to the experts.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

Iv found gold thats jagged on one side and warn on the other.???

Possibly from water/sand/rocks traveling over it long before Jesus was a boy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:57 am

It is very hard for us to get our heads around what happened-and is still happening at an incredibly slow pace-millions of years ago. gold shape 3273188554

As we say. Gold is where you find it. No matter shape it takes. l;wfh

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:26 am

I agree. I have found really rough, reefy looking gold right next to nice smooth, rounded pieces. Bloody hard to read anything into that but I guess if it was all reefy and rough in a particular spot, that may indicate that it was shed close by.
Likewise the type of ground. In an area about 5km in diameter we found gold in salt and pepper ground, red sand and loam, white clay/silt, pure white quartz field and every type of ground in between.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rege-PA Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

I have seen sharp gold shed from reefs and water worn gold from streams but in the case of large nuggets I believe that other factors are involved like secondary enrichment and possibly bacterial deposition. Some areas like Victoria might have a more conducive soil to this theory, as it seems to have more large nuggets.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

You need to remember what is now up was down "buried".

Water warn all over would have travelled some distance. Water warn on one side and jagged on the other would suggest it shed from an outcrop on the side of a hill and had squillians of years of eroded hill wash sliden over the top, which would still have it close to the source and know doubt be on a slight rise!
Jagged all over would indicate the source to be on top of a hill, whether the hill still exists or not, erosion moved away from the outcrop??
Someday
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down