Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handheld GPS

5 posters

Go down

Handheld GPS Empty Handheld GPS

Post by Bignuggs Sat 08 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

I recently got rid of my Garmin60. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology and I didn't find it easy to use so I've been doing some reading of reviews. I'm thinking of getting another GPS.
Now here's a little story. About 3 years back after I just got the 60 (bought it new), I compared it for accuracy against an etrex. I was ruffly 30 metres out but the etrex was near to 500 metres out.
Here's the interesting bit, it comes from an old Choice Mag (Dec07/Jan08). Make of it what you will but it brings me back to my thoughts on the JORN stations we have in WA.

Soon after it was created, the civilian GPS was doctored by the US government,
which incorporated an artificial inaccuracy (up to 100 m) to counter any potential
terrorist threat.
• Bill Clinton removed this restriction in 2000, arguing that the public good to
be gained through using as accurate a system as possible would outweigh
any security concerns. However, the US government still reserves the right to
introduce selective availability if it feels its national interests are threatened —
for example, during the war in Iraq, where the civilian GPS has been made
inoperable within the war zone.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Handheld GPS Empty Re: Handheld GPS

Post by boobook Sat 08 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

Bignuggs.
Have a look at the Garmin Rino 650.
Comes with an 80 ch. uhf which can be varied 1/2 to 5w. very user friendly, seemingly accurate with co ordinates, more features than we needed but at the price ($310 plus post) seemed pretty good value.
We were communicating at over 2km. (flat country with scub) on the 1/2 w. setting, the battery life (li ion) also very good at about 50% full day.
Compass and "tracback" makes navigation piss easy.
mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info Mike. Here's another question, hope someone can answer.
Has anyone purchased a GPS online from outside Australia and did you get hit with customs import duty.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Mike, ive heard the rhino is a beauty mate, would be great to have an all in GPS/UHF, my only worry is if it goes down you've lost tracking and communication for help.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

Having the ability to mark out your boundaries is a good feature in a HHGPS unit.
Many may have the ability to do this unbeknown to the operator, if its able to make a rout...it can mark out a boundary.
This is handy when a mining company is close by..... just waiting to see if you cross the line.....being able to show them the line makes the world of difference....trust me if you like to push the boundary. Razz
Touch screen is all the rage now days, and after coming from a unit with buttons..i can sure see the beauty in touch screens for ease of operation and speed.
Not the best unit on the market by far, and certainly not the dearest...the Magellan exsplorist 510 packs a lot into a unit that will exceed the prospectors expectations. I use it every day out here, and would feel lost without it. <--- Handheld GPS 3189625650
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by yella stuff Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:44 pm

An old prospecting mate of mine has a Magellan exsplorist nice gadget. I settle for my dinasaur garmin 72, after I bought it online I went into an outdoor shop(mountian designs) to price it new and they told me that they don't do GPS because they could not compete with internet. the unit was $150 cheaper than shop retail. brand new in sealed package on ebay. my only concern now with buying overseas is the question of which set of maps comes with the unit? WA or hongkong? should check it out bignuggs.

yella stuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 09 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

buying online is definitely cheaper, cheaper still if it comes from O/seas. But I gotta feeling Customs will hit me with import duty.
I did learn something new about the Garmins and it's so simple I should have realised it.
Example: The model GPSMap62s also comes in 62sc and 62stc.
the 62sc has inbuilt camera (c)
the 62stc comes with camera and installed Topo's (tc)

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofy-5 Mon 10 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

Hi Bignuggs im pretty sure that you have up to $1000 dollars before import dutys kick in ive bought a lot from over seas and have never paid any duty because i did not go over a $ 1000 dollars hope this helps.
Shane Very Happy

Woofy-5

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:33 am

I shoulda used my brain, I had a look at the Customs website. Providing it is under $1,000 and comes by normal post/mail, then there's no import duty.

Goods with a declared or assessed value not exceeding A$1,000

If your goods arrive in Australia by mail and have a declared or assessed value of A$1,000 or less, the goods may be imported free of duty, taxes and Customs and Border Protection charges, unless they are alcohol products or tobacco products. Apart from alcohol and tobacco products those goods will be cleared by Customs and Border Protection and delivered by Australia Post without you doing anything.

When Duty and Taxes are Payable

All imported goods are subject to assessment for duty, Goods and Services Tax (GST) and other taxes and charges even if you imported those goods for your own use.

Duty rates are determined by the tariff classification for your goods. The Customs Tariff Act 1995 provides the tariff classifications, duty rates, interpretive rules and information on preference schemes, other concessions and exemptions that may apply to your goods. More information is available on the working tariff 2012 page.

GST is payable on most goods at a rate of 10%. (See examples below)

Imported goods valued at or below A$1000

Generally, there is no requirement to pay duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) on imported goods valued at or below A$1000, except for alcohol (refer to Example 2 where Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) is also payable) and/or tobacco products (refer to Example 4).

Imported goods with a value at or below A$1000 that arrive by air or sea cargo will require a self-assessed clearance (SAC) declaration to be lodged with Customs and Border Protection.

There are no Customs and Border Protection charges for making a SAC declaration.

For more information about SAC declarations see the fact sheet Self-assessed Clearance (SAC) Declarations.

Goods with a value at or below A$1000 that arrive by post do not require a SAC declaration.

For more information on goods that arrive in Australia by post click on importing goods by post.

Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:28 pm

The sender can declare the value at less than a $1000 if they and the buyer are willing to take the risk.
I'm not recommending it but it has been known to have happened. (Nudge,nudge...wink, wink. Say no more!)

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 23 Sep 2012, 4:15 pm

I went with the garmin Oregan 550. Bought from geekdeals in California USA for $339AUD with postage and in my hands for $375AUD
Glad to say, I'm happy.
Bignuggs
Bignuggs
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum