Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detector setting what do they mean???

3 posters

Go down

detector setting what do they mean??? Empty detector setting what do they mean???

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

if u have a 45-48-or a 5000 u should know what the settings mean of by heart--if u dont then I firmly believe that no mater what detector u have in your hands u will not be able to extract the best out of that machine....
even if a new machine appears on the horizon in 2013 I think it will have more settings and features that the current 5000 has on it at the moment--and for the simple person who wants a machine to just get out there and find gold then I certainly wouldnt upgrade till u have mastered the meaning of the settings as these settings will appear on the next machine and u will still be wondering around the bush in hope or with ya head up ya ass and thinkin why havent I found gold.

The majority of people -I would estimate some 90% are tecting blind--what I mean is that they rely on a mate or a fellow detectorist to tweet their settings on their machine.. and then they would have a bloody clue what that person has done--.I must admit I have been guilty of this simple fact--but after a while I started to read and define the settings in the manual and very briefly put a meaning against the titles--u should know what the target volumn does--what the manual tune knobs are for..

I reckon that 99% of us get all excited when we find a target that we forget to play with the settings to see if the signal can be enhanced--whether normal or enhanced is different--if we are close enough to our vehicle to go and grab another coil and do a simple test--big coil compared to a medium compared to a small coil..or even call ya mate over and ask him to have a go at the target to compare the response..

No one has given me any credible evidence on what coil is better than the other--its all comes down to personal preference...why cant the gurus come up with some formula whether its AIR testing or what ever to prove their coils advantage.. if u happen to be in a group that has all coiltek coils and u r finding gold, course u r goin to say they r the best--sorry but unconvinced--the only advantage I have seen at the moment is the weight factor and Nugget Finder certainly has the edge--anti interference and Coiltek are in front--I havent tried the Nugget tech group of coils as I dont have them in my artillery..

So make yourself a simple cheat sheet with the settings and 3-5 word explanation of what the heck they stand for and u should be on ya way to finding more color and u will certainly be out there helpin the majority who cannot desyphon the meaning of the terms..trust me I am no expert --far from it cos I am still learning and I am disappointed to see that none of the experts out there have come up with a basic cheat sheat---

Pete and some other blokes have been kind enough to share their settings even the article written by narrawa some time back are excelent points of interest--just to show we still have a long way to go to mastering the pilgramage to finding gold befor it gets taxed..

I have had a long day and I'd thought I'd kick the dog in the guts..

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

detector setting what do they mean??? Empty Re: detector setting what do they mean???

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

gpost

Back to top Go down

detector setting what do they mean??? Empty Re: detector setting what do they mean???

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:16 pm

gpost Ray

Getting back to your point on 90% of blokes just get a mate
to tweak their machine while out bush is spot on, the human mind
is the best computer on this planet for problem solving and to many
humans dont bother to even boot it up let alone run it flat out just
to see what their focussed mind can achieve.

If the detector operator does not step into the realm of self diagnosing
his detector to allow it to run at peak performance he is just treading
water, but sooner or later he must sink..

Never be to shy to ask for help, as humans we should, and do learn until our last breath is forced outta us...
The word "Professional" is just a word, no one is ever at that level
in reality, as to claim to be a professional at anything is to admit you
no longer learn and advance your level of knowledge.

Phew! Razz

Now back to bein a run of the mill joe blow, my Zen as run out Razz

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

Good points all round Someday....

The majority of people -I would estimate some 90% are tecting blind--what I mean is that they rely on a mate or a fellow detectorist to tweet their settings on their machine.. and then they would have a bloody clue what that person has done--.I must admit I have been guilty of this simple fact--but after a while I started to read and define the settings in the manual and very briefly put a meaning against the titles--u should know what the target volumn does--what the manual tune knobs are for..
Unfortunately this is not avoidable no matter how much some read...much of just cannot be learned from a book or video. Circumstances rule is many of these cases not allowing the individual the time it takes to learn such. But hey...dont it feel good to guide those round you when your able....especially when they start finding gold through that guidance provided.?? But remember to put on a happy face when they come back to camp with more/bigger than you. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Understanding what many of the functions do will certainly make you a better operator....but not an expert.

I reckon that 99% of us get all excited when we find a target that we forget to play with the settings to see if the signal can be enhanced--whether normal or enhanced is differentTrue, no argument there..however, altering the settings that found you this target, may just put you out on your next target. When someone says this, it really pisses you off when you think about the reality side of it ay wot.??? ??? given the amount of variables i mean. Laughing Laughing Deep...General...Custom settings can help you to not loose faith if you pre set them....eg...i use General for my everyday operations with my mix of settings that are not set in stone....i use Deep and Custom on the front end cap with a mix of FP to coarse settings at the flick of a switch to cross reference a target if need be.

No one has given me any credible evidence on what coil is better than the other--
Simply because there is no one coil that is better than the rest...because there is little ground one coil excels in when there could be multiple targets/nuggets at varying depths. The ground changes rapidly foot to foot even tho it looks the same its not....fixed is not fixed once you move off that ground you GBed on...its an average or means of. One of the reasons i like the problematic GB of the 4500...problematic to some, bliss to others. scratch
Ever seen the face of old matey who thinks its awesome to come back to camp after swinging an18" and finding a few sub grammers.?? Don't you go upsetting him now, because if he was switched on he would have come back with multi grammers.
Many who swing the big coils, swing with the little coil attitude. Very Happy Many have little understanding of what a deep target sounds like after swinging a small/medium coil. One of the many reasons there will always be gold left for the next/future model. Once again making old fields new fields.

I am disappointed to see that none of the experts out there have come up with a basic cheat sheat---
Anyone who claims to be an expert in this game, is a BSartist and a campfire jester....some have a lot more knowledge than others admittedly...but an expert....??? not in this game will you ever come across an expert....the endless variables will see to that. Yet i myself would prefer the word of a campfire jester, over that of an armchair aviator or desk jockey/PC detoctorist which brings me joy to read that....they are out there. :rolf:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 3:40 am

Now I hope the rest of us mere mortals can see that what the 45 and the 5ooo has to offer is very underestimated maybe thats why there are very few second hand machines out there.

crazy Pete and Narrawa have hit the nail on the head as they always do..I am glad I get u boys excited-- Thanks

and yes u r right--dont we all get peed off when someone comes back with a piece bigger than yours especially when its beginners luck. Show and tell--i feel like grabbing him and cutting his throat--I have made it a golden rule when goin bush with anyone that we go halves in anything over an ounce piece--finder keeps the nugget and I get paid out at $40 per gram--end of story--unfortunately havent had the pleasure yet--saves a lot of contention and your friendships will remains in place.

Maybe we can simpilfy the book and create our own cheat sheet--
Take the headings out of the manual and write a one liner no more than 6 or 7 words in definition--a very simple meaning of what they each do or mean..

on the back write some settings up for both the 45 and 5--sure its horses for courses but hey we all want to keep on keepin on the learning curve--well at least i do and so do those who continually ask me questions.

I like the KISS system - it works everytime.

The use of the terminoledgy Expert was made in a light hearted manner and I didnt have a more flattering term---maybe master would have been a better analogy--Sorry we need a spell check--

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

detector setting what do they mean??? Empty Great Post

Post by Peaky Fri 06 Jul 2012, 5:51 am

Boys

What a great post gpost

I know I have had trips out with Pete and I have not found any Gold and pete is Picking it up all over the place. l;wfh

I had just payed $400.00 for a new coil but could not walk over any gold ( Found out after the coil was faulty ) jkihyig

But I kept at it and on the next trip I kept playing with the settings and Bingo the gold started to sing to me. cheers

I still use the same settings for this coil now and often just give the settings a tweek now and then when I have a undug target
And see if I am getting the best from the tecta for the area I'm in.

Peaky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:21 am

Perhaps "more experienced" is a better term than expert.

Other points to consider in the mix of variables are:

1.Detector manufacturing tolerances.
2. Coil manufacturing tolerances
3. Operator swing speed
4. Coil height above the ground
5. Operator audio level i.e. hearing ability
6. Weather conditions on the day
7. Concentration ability
8. Mental attitude. Is the glass half full or half empty?

All of these elements and probably more come in to play along with the ability
to understand what your detector is telling you.

It's amazing that we have the success we do when we consider all the obstacles that are
presented to us when we detect.

Robert

Last edited by goldnomad on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : stuttering)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:28 am

goldnomad wrote:
It's amazing that we have the success we do when we consider all the obstacles that are
presented to us when we detect.

Robert

Oh so true Rob, and my biggest obstacle is wading thru all of Sam & Peaky's empty's
all around my swag, they reckon their all mine but i wont have a bar of it, i wont i tell yaz Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad :rolf:

Pete paeirgcy vp qwk;ec

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:22 am

Sorry gents...my bad...to p!ssed to comment tonight...had a shocker of a night with a profesional prospector of over ten yrs who uses a 5k and a karasarki loader.
Fk me..wot an idiot. Shocked
A perfect example of an expert who wanted to punch me out over things with a detector he does not understand.
Will explain when im over it....as for now...i need sleep!~!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:23 am

ok no worries if he likes to fight tell himto see me...I'LL FIGHT HIM......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:21 am

Gotta remember where you are Narra. Not all folks are respectable, well mannered pillars of society like us Victorians. kwdf wtf lwkgh

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm

goldnomad wrote: Not all folks are respectable, well mannered pillars of society like us Victorians. kwdf wtf lwkgh

Robert

I think we'll make that the comment of the month paeirgcy vp QK;

:rolf: that's the best laugh I've had all day. You're an absolute hoot Robert lwkgh kwdf

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:34 am

Whah, thankya Cliff. Y'all is a true gentleman. kwdf

It behooves my to bestow upon yoo an honorary "Citizenship of east WA" award. :zd;poghjw:

Robert

Last edited by Bignuggs on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : unnecessary comment & photo)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down