Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bit of history

Go down

A bit of history Empty A bit of history

Post by Guest Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:21 pm

The next "Hand of Faith" to the first Sandgroper to enlighten us as to the origin of this poem

You didn't know of Bendigo?
Well that knocks me out!
Who's your board schoolteacher?
What's he been about?
Chock a block with fairy tales;
Full of useless cram,
And never heard of Bendigo
The Pride Of Nottingham

Robert

Back to top Go down

A bit of history Empty Re: A bit of history

Post by Guest Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:56 pm

Arther conan Doyle i do beleive Very Happy

I'll take the gold weight in Rum thanks Rob Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:00 am

Here ya go.

From Wikipedia

"The current name dates to the Victorian Gold Rush as a shortened form of Bendigo Creek goldfields, simply "Bendigo Creek" or "Bendigo's Valley". The creek was named after a famous local boxer and shepherd who had earned the nickname Bendigo in reference to the Nottingham prize-fighter William Abednego Thompson, generally known as “Bendigo Thompson”.

Its first official name was Castleton after the mining town Castleton, Derbyshire, England. Sandhurst, after the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, became the official designation for the settlement in 1854 although the nickname of "Bendigo" remained popular.

After a plebiscite in 1891 the city was renamed to the more popular "Bendigo", although the name Sandhurst has a legacy and is still used by a number of organisations such as the Sandhurst Football Club. The Roman Catholic diocese based in Bendigo is named the Diocese of Sandhurst."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum