Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting LOST in the bush

3 posters

Go down

Getting LOST in the bush Empty Getting LOST in the bush

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jun 2012, 6:48 am

How many of us fear the fact that we may one day get disorintated and eventually lost doin what we like best.
Forgot to take the GPS or EPIRB

Some easy steps to alleviate the problem,

Take notes of the landscape--line up some trees or look for a very tall tree--white or different colored.
Everynow and then leave a scrape on the ground of the direction back to camp
Make a visual of the nearest hills and gullies.
maybe take some colored tape and wrap it around a tree in your path.
If ya car is in a gully -maybe put up a 10' flag--u see them on mine spec vehicles..put your connection on the roof of your vehicle--not on the bullbar--the extra 3 feet will mean a lot.
Some flags have a red light on them--wire it up with a indicator relay so it flashes at night..
If tecting at night--turn on a work light--so u have light when u come back to ya camp..and the reflection will also help u.
Learn how to read the southern cross--u will always find South..allowin for the weather..
You dont have to b a master survival expert but a few tips may be off assistance..

Just a few ideas so u stay in one piece--please feel free to add your own ideas and suggestions.

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Getting LOST in the bush Empty Re: Getting LOST in the bush

Post by Bignuggs Mon 11 Jun 2012, 7:48 pm

I also believe you can hire satellite phones from the flying doctor service. Used to be able to, not sure now but still worth asking about it.
But good mobile phones can get you out trouble now. The coverage is getting better all the time.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Burns Mob Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:44 pm

Bignuggs wrote:I also believe you can hire satellite phones from the flying doctor service. Used to be able to, not sure now but still worth asking about it.
But good mobile phones can get you out trouble now. The coverage is getting better all the time.

Sat phones have definitely become more affordable. Google iridium phone and you will find a heap of info. I believe some travellers have even managed to claim some costs back through some government remote communiation scheme that was put in to make phone communcations accessible to everyone at a reasonable price.

While working out of Kal I use to make a habit of saving the current location as a waypoint when I left the vehicle before sticking the GPS in my pocket and wandering off into the bush, it is a good habit, as is carrying a bottle of water.

Burns Mob

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Mon 11 Jun 2012, 11:47 pm

Spoke to a gent and his missus this week about their ordeal on the subject of getting lost.
He spent the night out alone with the keys in his pocket while she broke into the car and injured herself in doing so to raise the alarm.
Nice couple, and im glad all worked out for them in the end.

You may think your good out bush...but when it boils down to it...thinking your good is no match for the real thing. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down