Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP Extreme

+2
Makaw
Snuggs2012
6 posters

Go down

GP Extreme Empty GP Extreme

Post by Snuggs2012 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

I went an bought an old extreme, got some extra coils as it only had the round one. Got a new coiltek 14x9 elliptical with what they call blitz wire and whats called a commander semi elliptical DD.
Are there speciall settings I should use with different coils.

cheers
Snuggs
Snuggs2012
Snuggs2012

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme Empty Re: GP Extreme

Post by Guest Sun 13 Nov 2011, 1:54 pm

Gday Snuggs

Mate the extreme is a good machine, the coils you have are good for it too, i would be running the 14x9 Blitz
coil 80% of the time mate unless the ground gets a bit to noisy then fit the DD, ive got some settings somewhere
in my memory hahaha will post em when i rember em Razz

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Snuggs2012 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

Hi Pete,

thanks for the info. I like the 14x9, it works real good in the back yard. found all the old rusty nails.
the commander is heavy, glad I got a bungee to hold the thing but its sure heavy on the arms.

snuggs
Snuggs2012
Snuggs2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:53 pm

Hi Snuggs

Thought it would be easier to drop some pics, makes it easier to understand than words.

To Suit 14x9 Mono

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

I have the same machine, and same coil, i try to run in sensitive when ever i can. And threshold i tune over a small nugget in a bottle on the ground, in the hottest ground in the area i can find.
Seems to work ok for me, but each machine is different.
Some times i have to play with the threshold for quite some time to pick up the .2 i use to test with.
I dont run any signal booster or anything , I would if i had one..
Drop it out of deep if the ground is too hot, and run in Normal. The depth difference is about 5mm anyway, on my machine.
I also run my signal flat out.
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:44 pm

G'day Maka

Plain n simple mate, dont buy another piece of gear until you get that booster 1st, they are an absolute must
have on every Pulse Minelab from the sd2000 to the GPX4000, 4500/5000 its in the battery, even if
your hearing is as good as me Mother inlaws Razz

Rolling Eyes shouldnt speak il of the devil. Evil or Very Mad Razz Razz

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 5:33 pm

Got one, from fleabay. second hand, should be here for the xmas 2 weeks of detecting. If it makes my machine better i will kiss you , in a non gay sort of way..
Do they enhance hot rock sounds aswell? And mineralisation, or just postitve signals?
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Tue 06 Dec 2011, 6:51 pm

GET THE BEST OUT OF
YOUR GP EXTREME
By Jack Lange

The Minelab GP Extreme is the best goldfields detector ever made, but many operators are not getting the most out of it because they aren't fully familiar with its controls or potential. It behaves and sounds differently to the SD2200D or SD2200v2 and preconceived ideas have to be put away. It is more hi tech and sensitive and more capable of getting gold, but takes a little understanding.

Firstly after turning it on, it can take a couple of minutes to warm up and allow its magnificent ground balancing ability to operate smoothly. Any tests done during this initial couple of minutes will be incorrect. On odd occasions my GP has "chattered" a little, particularly on hot windy days. This slight hiccup goes away of its own accord after a minute or two and shouldn't be considered a fault. In these conditions it pays to use the "tune" button to stabilize the machine at the beginning of such extreme conditions. As I said, the ground balancing ability of this machine is the best yet, and I was able to use the big 24" UFO mono coil everywhere I tried it in North QLD, though some areas were quite mineralized.

SIMPLE TO USE.

The GP has a number of new switches which can be confusing at first, but a beginner can't go wrong by simply leaving them all in "normal" position, where coils and conditions being equal, it will still outperform the SD200Dv2. But to get the most out of the GP there are certain settings to be aware of.

THE RX SWITCH "E" SETTING

As most users realize, when using a DD coil, the "E" setting converts the coil to a mono by isolating one of the D windings in the coil. This makes the coil more sensitive on small gold, but it will not be as powerful as a true round mono coil of the same length, on nuggets of several grams upwards. A round coil will always detect deeper than an elliptical, or single D coil winding of the same length. You would not use this "E" setting in very hot ground, as the "normal" or double D setting will smooth out ground noises far better.

The users manual doesn't suggest it, but while using any double D coil in the "E" (mono) setting I was able to use the discriminator to detect surface iron. The discriminator didn't work as well as it did on the DD ("normal") setting but it still helped to a degree. By the way, the discriminating ability of the GP has been noticeably improved over the SD2200Dv2, and it will discriminate more deeply or on smaller iron targets, almost down to tack size. A powerful magnet can save a lot of scratching around in the dirt for those tiny ferrous bits.

THE "VOLUME" DIAL

This control doesn't affect the volume of the threshold as might be expected. Rather it affects the strength of the signal on both quiet and loud targets. The manual explains this clearly so I will not elaborate here. As the GP has more threshold and signal volume than the SD2200Dv2, I have not needed to use an external volume control which is what a "signal enhancer" really is. Some operators use one for more volume control, although most operators probably would not need an enhancer on this model. I personally would have preferred a plain volume control on the GP Extreme which affects both threshold and signal volume, just like the old time detectors had. I have always left the GP Extreme volume on max which means I occasionally have to put up with a large target blast.

THE "SIGNAL" DIAL

This control is really a bonus because most detector operators didn't expect it and had not come across one before. It does have some benefit but it's not a huge advantage and Minelab could have easily left it off. I use it on maximum because it makes the signal stand out more clearly in that setting, however, in really noisy ground, the signal stands out more clearly with the dial wound down a bit. In 95% of soils you can't go far wrong by having it set anywhere between 80% to max.

THRESHOLD

It is amusing to hear all the different theories on threshold settings. Even some experienced operators debate this point. You would think they invented the machine instead of Bruce Candy, who said that we should set the threshold to a faint setting for maximum sensitivity. A threshold that is too loud will drown out those faint deep signals. If you turn the threshold down until you can't hear it, you will loose at least 15% depth! With the SD series, I found that when used with an enhancer, I got best results at the faintest possible stable setting, however the GP needs a slightly higher setting to give the best deep nugget signal.

AUTO GROUND BALANCE

Many operators are aware that the GP manual recommends "fixed" position for certain circumstances. But they think this only applies when swinging the coil over a faint target, so that you won't cancel the signal out. However the "Fixed" position also gives you a little more depth than the "tracking" position. When I am detecting new ground and speed of ground coverage takes priority, I leave it in "tracking" because the slight depth loss is of no concern. Once I find a new patch, then I use "fixed" for maximum depth. I slow down my swing, relax and concentrate on those faint signals. Occasionally, I may switch to "tracking" to re-ground balance for a few seconds before I switch back to "fixed."

THE "SENSITIVE" SWITCH

This switch is no gimmick. It does increase depth on small gold and should be used if conditions permit. It works on nuggets of up to approximately three grams, but that depends on nugget shapes and the surrounding soil. The next time you get a small faint signal, flick over to 'sensitive' and see if the signal doesn't get louder. It usually does. The downside is that on nuggets over a few grams you will actually lose depth; but strangely enough, once the nuggets get to about 2 ounces, the 'sensitive' setting increases depth again! So be selective in using this setting. In very noisy ground don't use it at all.

THE "DEEP" SETTING

According to the manual, you only use this setting for deep large nuggets, but I find that it increases depth on small nuggets as well. I know of some experienced operators who use this setting all the time. I don't, because it tends to make an invasive groaning noise that tires me. However, when maximum depth is required in a selective area, say a deep concentrated patch, I use it to gain a couple of centimeters extra depth.

"SALT" MODE

When detecting the salt lake areas of W.A, the depth advantages of this setting are phenomenal. If you are touring around W.A with a GP, then you have a real weapon in your hands.

"CANCEL" SETTING

Some of my customers are targeting areas near or under power lines with good results, because this setting enables you to detect very close to electric cables. You only lose a little depth in this mode when using DD coils, but when I tried this setting with the big Mono UFO coil, the detector barely worked, so I gather it only works with DD Coils.

THE CHOICE OF COILS

Correct coil selection with the GP can make a huge difference to your success. I have generally preferred the Coiltek 24" UFO mono elliptical coil for the following reasons.

1. The GP Extreme mates beautifully with mono coils generally.

2. I can get to the gold more quickly because of speed of ground coverage.

3. It gives the best depth on nuggets from about 1 gram up to several ounces

4. It is light and pinpoints well. I don't use the skid plate, as the coil is so tough I doubt I would ever wear it out.

5. It will detect nuggets down to a fraction of a gram

For terrain that is too grassy or dense for the 24' UFO then the 17" Mini UFO is preferred as you can poke it around grass and bushes. Also, it is more deadly on the smaller gold.

Naturally if the ground is very mineralised and you can't effectively use a mono coil, then a double D coil is essential. I use the 14" Coiltek DD for bushy areas. In more open country where speed of ground coverage becomes important I would use one of the larger DD coils.

SUMMARY

To get the absolute maximum depth on small nuggets, (conditions permitting) try the following settings on your GP: Fixed ground balance, Threshold slightly higher than absolute minimum.

Maximum volume and signal control

Experiment with "Deep" Mode but if it gets too noisy, turn it back to "Normal." Use a 14" Coiltek Mono or 17" mini UFO mono. If the gold is around match-head size use a 10" Coiltek mono elliptical (but definitely not in noisy ground).

Try this experiment. Bury a piece of metal about the size of a 1 gram nugget about 6" deep. Set your GP in tracking mode in "normal" settings and listen the to the faint signal over the buried nugget. Now switch to "fixed", "sensitive" and "deep' and test the same target. You will be surprised at how much stronger the signal becomes, because you'll be detecting deeper. If gold producing ground has been detected before with a SD2200Dv2 or SD2100v2 detector and they used a good mono coil, say 14" round or 24" UFO, and you search that same ground with a GP using a standard 11" coil you may be disappointed with the results. But if you try the above suggestions with the best mono coils and listen for faint signals, it can make all the difference.

As I said, if all this confuses you, don't worry, start by using the standard coil and all the settings in "Normal" and you will still be using an excellent machine, but with experience, you will find extra advantages by experimenting. Good Luck out there!
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Thu 22 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

Pucker up Pete, I love the booster. I should have had one from day dot... My mind is wondering how much i have missed so far by not using one.....
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Dec 2011, 5:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:09 pm

Makaw wrote:GET THE BEST OUT OF
YOUR GP EXTREME
By Jack Lange

The Minelab GP Extreme is the best goldfields detector ever made, but many operators are not getting the most out of it because they aren't fully familiar with its controls or potential. It behaves and sounds differently to the SD2200D or SD2200v2 and preconceived ideas have to be put away. It is more hi tech and sensitive and more capable of getting gold, but takes a little understanding.

Firstly after turning it on, it can take a couple of minutes to warm up and allow its magnificent ground balancing ability to operate smoothly. Any tests done during this initial couple of minutes will be incorrect. On odd occasions my GP has "chattered" a little, particularly on hot windy days. This slight hiccup goes away of its own accord after a minute or two and shouldn't be considered a fault. In these conditions it pays to use the "tune" button to stabilize the machine at the beginning of such extreme conditions. As I said, the ground balancing ability of this machine is the best yet, and I was able to use the big 24" UFO mono coil everywhere I tried it in North QLD, though some areas were quite mineralized.

SIMPLE TO USE.

The GP has a number of new switches which can be confusing at first, but a beginner can't go wrong by simply leaving them all in "normal" position, where coils and conditions being equal, it will still outperform the SD200Dv2. But to get the most out of the GP there are certain settings to be aware of.

THE RX SWITCH "E" SETTING

As most users realize, when using a DD coil, the "E" setting converts the coil to a mono by isolating one of the D windings in the coil. This makes the coil more sensitive on small gold, but it will not be as powerful as a true round mono coil of the same length, on nuggets of several grams upwards. A round coil will always detect deeper than an elliptical, or single D coil winding of the same length. You would not use this "E" setting in very hot ground, as the "normal" or double D setting will smooth out ground noises far better.

The users manual doesn't suggest it, but while using any double D coil in the "E" (mono) setting I was able to use the discriminator to detect surface iron. The discriminator didn't work as well as it did on the DD ("normal") setting but it still helped to a degree. By the way, the discriminating ability of the GP has been noticeably improved over the SD2200Dv2, and it will discriminate more deeply or on smaller iron targets, almost down to tack size. A powerful magnet can save a lot of scratching around in the dirt for those tiny ferrous bits.

THE "VOLUME" DIAL

This control doesn't affect the volume of the threshold as might be expected. Rather it affects the strength of the signal on both quiet and loud targets. The manual explains this clearly so I will not elaborate here. As the GP has more threshold and signal volume than the SD2200Dv2, I have not needed to use an external volume control which is what a "signal enhancer" really is. Some operators use one for more volume control, although most operators probably would not need an enhancer on this model. I personally would have preferred a plain volume control on the GP Extreme which affects both threshold and signal volume, just like the old time detectors had. I have always left the GP Extreme volume on max which means I occasionally have to put up with a large target blast.

THE "SIGNAL" DIAL

This control is really a bonus because most detector operators didn't expect it and had not come across one before. It does have some benefit but it's not a huge advantage and Minelab could have easily left it off. I use it on maximum because it makes the signal stand out more clearly in that setting, however, in really noisy ground, the signal stands out more clearly with the dial wound down a bit. In 95% of soils you can't go far wrong by having it set anywhere between 80% to max.

THRESHOLD

It is amusing to hear all the different theories on threshold settings. Even some experienced operators debate this point. You would think they invented the machine instead of Bruce Candy, who said that we should set the threshold to a faint setting for maximum sensitivity. A threshold that is too loud will drown out those faint deep signals. If you turn the threshold down until you can't hear it, you will loose at least 15% depth! With the SD series, I found that when used with an enhancer, I got best results at the faintest possible stable setting, however the GP needs a slightly higher setting to give the best deep nugget signal.

AUTO GROUND BALANCE

Many operators are aware that the GP manual recommends "fixed" position for certain circumstances. But they think this only applies when swinging the coil over a faint target, so that you won't cancel the signal out. However the "Fixed" position also gives you a little more depth than the "tracking" position. When I am detecting new ground and speed of ground coverage takes priority, I leave it in "tracking" because the slight depth loss is of no concern. Once I find a new patch, then I use "fixed" for maximum depth. I slow down my swing, relax and concentrate on those faint signals. Occasionally, I may switch to "tracking" to re-ground balance for a few seconds before I switch back to "fixed."

THE "SENSITIVE" SWITCH

This switch is no gimmick. It does increase depth on small gold and should be used if conditions permit. It works on nuggets of up to approximately three grams, but that depends on nugget shapes and the surrounding soil. The next time you get a small faint signal, flick over to 'sensitive' and see if the signal doesn't get louder. It usually does. The downside is that on nuggets over a few grams you will actually lose depth; but strangely enough, once the nuggets get to about 2 ounces, the 'sensitive' setting increases depth again! So be selective in using this setting. In very noisy ground don't use it at all.

THE "DEEP" SETTING

According to the manual, you only use this setting for deep large nuggets, but I find that it increases depth on small nuggets as well. I know of some experienced operators who use this setting all the time. I don't, because it tends to make an invasive groaning noise that tires me. However, when maximum depth is required in a selective area, say a deep concentrated patch, I use it to gain a couple of centimeters extra depth.

"SALT" MODE

When detecting the salt lake areas of W.A, the depth advantages of this setting are phenomenal. If you are touring around W.A with a GP, then you have a real weapon in your hands.

"CANCEL" SETTING

Some of my customers are targeting areas near or under power lines with good results, because this setting enables you to detect very close to electric cables. You only lose a little depth in this mode when using DD coils, but when I tried this setting with the big Mono UFO coil, the detector barely worked, so I gather it only works with DD Coils.

THE CHOICE OF COILS

Correct coil selection with the GP can make a huge difference to your success. I have generally preferred the Coiltek 24" UFO mono elliptical coil for the following reasons.

1. The GP Extreme mates beautifully with mono coils generally.

2. I can get to the gold more quickly because of speed of ground coverage.

3. It gives the best depth on nuggets from about 1 gram up to several ounces

4. It is light and pinpoints well. I don't use the skid plate, as the coil is so tough I doubt I would ever wear it out.

5. It will detect nuggets down to a fraction of a gram

For terrain that is too grassy or dense for the 24' UFO then the 17" Mini UFO is preferred as you can poke it around grass and bushes. Also, it is more deadly on the smaller gold.

Naturally if the ground is very mineralised and you can't effectively use a mono coil, then a double D coil is essential. I use the 14" Coiltek DD for bushy areas. In more open country where speed of ground coverage becomes important I would use one of the larger DD coils.

SUMMARY

To get the absolute maximum depth on small nuggets, (conditions permitting) try the following settings on your GP: Fixed ground balance, Threshold slightly higher than absolute minimum.

Maximum volume and signal control

Experiment with "Deep" Mode but if it gets too noisy, turn it back to "Normal." Use a 14" Coiltek Mono or 17" mini UFO mono. If the gold is around match-head size use a 10" Coiltek mono elliptical (but definitely not in noisy ground).

Try this experiment. Bury a piece of metal about the size of a 1 gram nugget about 6" deep. Set your GP in tracking mode in "normal" settings and listen the to the faint signal over the buried nugget. Now switch to "fixed", "sensitive" and "deep' and test the same target. You will be surprised at how much stronger the signal becomes, because you'll be detecting deeper. If gold producing ground has been detected before with a SD2200Dv2 or SD2100v2 detector and they used a good mono coil, say 14" round or 24" UFO, and you search that same ground with a GP using a standard 11" coil you may be disappointed with the results. But if you try the above suggestions with the best mono coils and listen for faint signals, it can make all the difference.

As I said, if all this confuses you, don't worry, start by using the standard coil and all the settings in "Normal" and you will still be using an excellent machine, but with experience, you will find extra advantages by experimenting. Good Luck out there!

Yeah, Jack Lange wrote that way back and he left out one of the main settings "the level adjust". Wink
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by golden Thu 22 Dec 2011, 7:15 pm

I have GP3000 and i have a booster but i used it only once.I think i will be using it from now on all the time.I am now getting familiar with THAT faint signals all more experienced guys are talking about so booster will definitely help me. Very Happy
golden
golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait Thu 22 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Goldbait
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by decanfrost Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm

Yea and dont forget the Deep and Shallow are the only BOOSTED modes.
Normal isnt!.
I run mine Deep and sensitive all time with Mono coil and signal flat out.
Might back off if noisey with quiet background to none threshold.

And yes listen for the quiet ones.That s what it s all about!

You can mod out the hot rock issue with them to.

How,s it going?

decanfrost
decanfrost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down