Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar or Generator ?

5 posters

Go down

Solar or Generator ? Empty Solar or Generator ?

Post by Gold Diver Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:48 pm

What is the general go with power out in the bush? What is your ideal set-up?
People with Vans/Campers usually have a large Generator somewhere, but for those just roughing it for 4 days or so, I would like to hear your thoughts.

I have been thinking of going solar, using batteries, etc for my short trips, but my research shows by the time you set everything up for solar, the generator comes out in front.
Especially as when prospecting you don't camp near other people, and if noise is an issue just move the Gen away from your camp.

Bunnings have little 700 watt Kipor Gen sets for 400 bucks, they are digital, 4 stroke and quite small. Just the ticket for charging small items.
Anyone else used them, or something similar sized?

Cheers

GD

Gold Diver

Back to top Go down

Solar or Generator ? Empty Re: Solar or Generator ?

Post by boobook Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:49 am

GD
For the last 16yrs. we have camped in one location for 4-5 months at a time. (small mine operation).
Our main requirement for electricity is freezer/fridge (all 12v.) so initially I used a small Honda engine driving a car alternator (with regulator, ammeter etc.) to keep the batteries charged.
We try to stay in the shade as much as possible so solar was never seriously considered.
This has been very successful, when 240v. was required for laptop etc. charging a 300w. inverter was used.

A couple of years ago I bought a Honda eu20i generator, being much quieter and more fuel efficient. For battery charging I use 2 - 240/12v 20a. chargers to keep the battery bank up plus the 240v.is very useful for lights, power tools etc.
(we did have a 5kva. gen. at the camp, but it was vandalised some years ago)

This set up is ideal for us, it may seem overkill for a few days camp but then you just might start camping for longer periods. And these little units just dont wear out!

I know of very few campers who rely solely on solar and for your application that small Kipor sounds excellent.
However, dont charge your batteries direct from its 12v. output, all of those small gene's (Honda included) have uncontrolled voltage output, will easily exeed 16v. which will cook any battery.
Use a 240/12v. charger, preferably a 3 stage "switch mode" with float.
mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:42 am

Hey Narrawa. Good time to tell him about the Kulkyne Genny mate.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:15 am

Those Kulkyns are not cheap when you consider the warranty BS sold with them....thats still a lot of brass tied up in the mail system if the local repairman go's over what Kulkyn is willing to pay for the repairs.??
That mob are in Vic...think about that if your in WA and it has to go back.???
They word it as if all small engine mechanics are going to drop everything for you to fix it while you wait. Laughing

Yamaha produce a good generator no argument there, i got the EF600 when it first came out.....even tho its had a few rebuilds over the yrs its still running when i retired it. I bought it because i was told to use it like i stole it...and to that i did because of the warranty service i was told of by my local dealer who was also a trusted friend. It never went back in for anything during its warranty period, and i took care of it after that. Trust me...you would not like to be a mechanical appliance in my ownership. If you fail i'll kill you where you stand.!! Just ask my Honda EM300U, Robin 5KVA, Honda GX wotever it was and a Robin 600W thing that rung its own neck after a month of use before i could... Laughing Laughing

The big question is..are these Kulkyn things the real deal or a quick mock up by Yamaha to cash in on the cheap end of the market.?
http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Kulkyne-Inverter-Generator-KG2000is.html?gclid=CLrmt6ne8a4CFcVMpgodNCFJIQ
$1200 aint all that cheap if it turns into a Bunnings special.... at least with Bunnings you could take it back after your weekend away prospecting and get your money back. Laughing Laughing

I went with Honda this time round due to the amount of dealerships oz wide compared to Yamaha's. Also i saw the EU20i being used by friends constantly on every outing using it like they stole it. Laughing
Shortly im about to do the same with mine....i'll get back to ya on its progress. Laughing

I should point out that im nowhere near as bad as i once was with useless power tools ....if it fails i'll toss it once only....not clean it up off the floor with a vacuum.

GD, you say " What is your ideal set-up"? the ideal setup mate is all the above.... is it an overkill for just a few days ??? nope!! when things turn to shite mate you can never have enough toys.
Now here's the tricky part...once you have an idea from others as to the gear you need....pay for it once only.
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Mon 19 Mar 2012, 2:07 pm

I think like most of us your goverened by your fridge.
I run 2x80 watt solar for fridge. 1 is enough now i have decent batteries, so the second runs the lights, inverter etc for charging phones, and detector batteries etc.
So if the lights go out the fridge stays cold as they are wired individually.
If you have a gas fridge u need 1 panel to run lights etc.
Always overkill with a genny, i have had 2 small ones not worth a pinch of crap, and a 2.2kw one, that comes in handy when i dont want to use solar.
I use the genny to charge my car batteries that run my sluice pump. So if i aint sluicing the genny stays home.
MM runs his genny at night and its enough to do both campsites and takes some drain off the solar during the late evening.
You just have to work out what u want to run , and go from there..
Cost wise, i got no change from a grand for my solar, but the genny was $250 second hand and only done a few hours.
I dont like carrying fuel either, so i dont use the genny unless i have to. Even with a good cap the fumes still give us headaches in the wagon.

Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

some of these camping and solar shops in perth would be a target to see if they have specials on--superceeded genys etc.
they had some cheap ones at the camp show on the weekend in perth..

sorry dont have any other contacts as I already have a 2hp genny and a 700w bunnings special which is 2 stroke I bought for $75 a few years ago now.. bloody thing wont die and runs on the smell of an old prospector..

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Diver Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:06 pm

I thought about those little 2 stroke jobs to charge a second battery, but I also need it to charge some of my dive gear when down south (Shark Shield) Chompy Chompy Laughing
This equipment doesn't like power fluctuations, so it need to be regulated power.

I have narrowed it down to a little 1KVA Honda or Kipor, the latter being the cheapest, and as I use a Chescold during the day, more than enough power.

How was the camping show? I should have gone, but forgot it was on.
Might have picked up a bargain.

GD

Gold Diver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

Glad I went--there were a heap of people there and quite a few bargans to boot.
Plenty of ideas and the roller drawers were something to kill for..
Reeds were there as well as Ian from Minelab--had very informative talks --glad I went.

regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Rege-PA Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:20 pm

In regards to carrying fuel in vehicle, I used to go bush in Canada for weeks at a time and carried several small drums of petrol, the temp extremes would cause the petrol to expand and push past the cap causing fumes and leaking. I solved the problem by drilling a hole in the cap and inserting a small valve and hooking a hose to it that ran out side through the door, no more fumes and much safer to carry.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Solar or Generator ? Empty solar or generator

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2012, 5:42 am

i use both .
2 x 125 watt panels on the troopy permanently fixed to the roofracks.
i have a 4.4 kva generator purchased through ebay.
the generator is a chonda { chinnese honda . } $480 .00 delivered to nth. qld.
i run a 85 litre everkool fridge / freezer.
it uses 3.4 amps per hour.
the solar is great for running everything .
3 years ago in w.a. we had rain for a week str8.
the solar could not keep the fridge / freezer running properly .
so i purchased the generator .
the generator is also great for using the jackhammer in calcrete to digout large nuggets .
250 watt panels can be bought and delivered on ebay for $340.00
i also have a dual battery system setup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:22 pm

My stuff.
Dual batt system in the rodeo via a budget projecta solenoid with idiot switch mounted on the dash.
That charges the start batt and another wet cell mounted in my homemade thumper box in the canopy. Thats used for whatever ... mostly detector batt, headlight batt, charges ect ect.
100Amp hr AGM also mounted in the canopy to run fridge, 60W panel mounted on the canopy to charge AGM and run lights and whatever else when needed. Its coupled to a Manson PWM regulator.
I also have a 20W flaoting panel for trickle charging whatever battery its connected to just because.
Also have one of those 2.5W supercheap trickle charge panels for the hell of it.
Three inverters for various uses...the two 150W ones are floaters while in the van there is a 1000W job permanently mounded near the battery.

On the c/van there is a 130W panel to keep the lights and fridge happening, its tillable so can be faced into the sun during winter for the added benefit. Its coupled to a Steca regulator (copy) which is also PWM and keeps the temporary wet cell upto date.....which is protected by multiple circuit breakers and blade fuses that run off the battery for the 12v stuff.

Honda EU20I for back up....iv also got a projecta 15Amp smart charger to take care of the batteries when the geny has to be used. Top bit of gear for bringing the batteries up and can be left connected permanently....and can be used as a DC power supply upto the rated 15Amps.
Tv is a 19" wall mount flat screen thing that runs on both 240v and 12v.

Oh...and we have a bread maker and will be selling fresh loafs of bread for $5 a loaf.. :.5:
Whats wrong with that???? i figure if your willing to pay $4+ for a frozen loaf you'll pay $5 for a fresh loaf thats still warm. :rolf:

Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:50 pm

Fresh fruit loaf Solar or Generator ? 1511110000 tongue Solar or Generator ? 1511110000 i'll take 3 mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 20 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

I just run it by Rainbow about selling our bread and she said...fok that..... Solar or Generator ? 2225825816 .if they'd pay $5 they'd certainly pay $7....and $10 for fruit loaf. :rolf:
Narrawa
Narrawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2012, 5:57 pm

Bloody Pusher Solar or Generator ? 729094268 Solar or Generator ? 729094268 :rolf:

Look hows about $10 for a cheese n Bacon Loaf ?? Yum Yum Solar or Generator ? 1511110000

Tell ya what but, i bet yaz could clean up with a fresh bread van parked up on Hannan st Solar or Generator ? 3273188554
And ay! Shocked no bloody "Pfffffffft fwarrrrrrrrp!" in the dough if it dont rise up enough, i likes me bread without
a curry tang in it thank you very much Razz Razz Solar or Generator ? Laughing_hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum