Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener

3 posters

Go down

Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener Empty Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener

Post by rusty gates Sat 02 Dec 2017, 9:55 pm

Hi everyone

I recently found a nugget that was encrusted with some rock and it was suggested that I soak it in acid (Aluminium Brightener) to clean it and to get rid of the rocky bits.

I've had it soaking for several weeks now, and every day I give the container a shake to roll the nugget around in the acid. Once a week I remove the nugget and chip/pick away at the rock, then put it into a new batch of acid.

I've pretty much got rid of all the rocky bits, but the acid only seems to 'soften' the rock, rather than dissolve it, as I was lead to believe it would do.

There must have been a fair bit of rock in it because when I found it, it weighed 82.6gms but now it's down to 66.8gms.

As I'm planning on selling this nugget shortly, I would like to get all the rock out of it, if possible.

Is this the normal way to treat/clean nuggets??

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener Empty Re: Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener

Post by pilko Sun 03 Dec 2017, 4:51 am

the 'rock' attached is more important than the gold. Not from a sales point of view but from a 'where did it come from POV.

HF (hydraflouric acid (sp?) or a furnace are the two way's to remove the 'rock'.....but you do NOT want to be messing with HF.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener Empty Re: Cleaning nuggets in Aluminium Brightener

Post by AussieAU Sun 03 Dec 2017, 5:27 am

Hey Rusty, you gotta remember that the aluminium brightner (alibrite) has only a very low % of acid that does the job (HF) hydrofluoric acid so for it to have softened and removed about 16grams of rock/dirt so far it has done a mighty good job. A high % hydrofluoric acid is very very dangerous stuff and like Tony said you don't want to be messing with the stuff

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down