Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting Spinefex country

+4
Nightjar
boobook
Young Simmo
Flouro
8 posters

Go down

Detecting Spinefex country Empty Detecting Spinefex country

Post by Flouro Fri 24 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

Hi All,

Need to do this and because we have never ventured to far north I thought we would ask for some advise

Quite a few questions, I spose the first would be would a quad work in amongst the spinny and can you pull out, dig up the spinny to detect

A lot of places out there have no roads, tracks so can a raised caravan clear the spinny or are we stuck to the tracks

What would be the indicators for yellow, is it the same as elsewhere or are we dealing with different geological stuff

One place we have visited is Edgerton and were told to look for black quartz a bit like obsidian, it also came with the normal quartz as well

Native tital land, can you get permissions or is it a waiste of time or a long drawn out process

Water hole between Nullingine and Karratha, are they full all year or do they only occur in the wet season

Ive checked and most old timers gold strikes don't have gradings so does that mean that most don't have alluvial gold

What am I looking for, is it all what they call greenfields work

Gee, I'm starting to sound like a mug{beginner}

Cheers, if you can help

Ron, Sherri and Yoda

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Detecting Spinefex country Empty Re: Detecting Spinefex country

Post by Young Simmo Fri 24 Nov 2017, 8:33 pm

Actualy Flouro, you left out the most important item, make sure the car fridge is full to the top, and I don't mean cartons of milk.
Young Simmo
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Fri 24 Nov 2017, 8:54 pm

Hi Simmo,

Got that one covered as we carry two, one for frozen stuff and the other operates as a fr/fr so plenty of room for vino and piss

We won't be up there till next season, just getting ready

Cheers, Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Sat 25 Nov 2017, 5:01 am

For us, the main concern about spinifex is when some d/head sets fire to it up wind of where you are.
This can be quite uncomfortable in places like the back of Halls Creek, very rough country and slow travel if you need to get out in a hurry.
I can't think of anything good to say about detecting in Spinifex except these days its probably a blokes best chance of getting onto good gold. You can be pulling spines out for days though, and they do fester.
Just one other thing, be wary driving over it. An under vehicle accumulation has caused more than one vehicle fire. pale
Mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:10 am

boobook wrote:
Just one other thing, be wary driving over it. An under vehicle accumulation has caused more than one vehicle fire.  pale
Mike

Also the younger saplings (name of tree slips mind) burn off leaving a bayonet sticking up, real tyre bangers.

Detecting Spinefex country Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by mada Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:16 am

Was in Spinifex country last week (Pilbara) man that shite suck's, just look for gold traps and dont worry about the spinifex otherwise it will stress you out and you wont find anything. Wear gators I will be next time, not so much for the snakes (but a pretty good reason too lol ) but more for the spinifex. That shite stings like hell and the further north you go the sharper, harder and more painful it gets. And dont go burning it off it only comes back thicker in time. Unless someone has a few million liters of Round up they can spare Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by mada Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:19 am

Nightjar wrote:
boobook wrote:
Just one other thing, be wary driving over it. An under vehicle accumulation has caused more than one vehicle fire.  pale
Mike

Also the younger saplings (name of tree slips mind) burn off leaving a bayonet sticking up, real tyre bangers.

I call them drive around them, or over the top off them Laughing Laughing Did 3 tyres in a day too busy looking at rocks jhgigfif

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:47 am

depends on where you are....work the creeks...and where there are sharp walls leading into the creeks work up the sides at least 6-8 foot. Again depending on where you are....get onto some high ground above the flat areas and look for the old tree lines. These will be your old creek lines...don't worry about the surface geology...follow the trees.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by mada Sat 25 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

pilko wrote:depends on where you are....work the creeks...and where there are sharp walls leading into the creeks work up the sides at least 6-8 foot. Again depending on where you are....get onto some high ground above the flat areas and look for the old tree lines. These will be your old creek lines...don't worry about the surface geology...follow the trees.

Well said Tony

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sat 25 Nov 2017, 8:47 am

Hi All,

Mike, Mada, Peter, Pilko thanks for your replies, I hate going in blind but you won't ever know if you don't give it a go

We had 3 flat tyres last trip, 2 on the way home the last was on the road in to Binningup which was only 3klm's from home and that was my last spare, so we bought a new set for next season

Tree lines , I didn't think there was any so spot the tree is the game to play and gators to make ,geeze , just when I thought I knew it all

We are not sure exactly where we are headed but either west of Nullagine or north of Tom Price ....out there

Cheers, Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:30 am

East of Nullagine (long way) is good country.

Get yourself a set of split rims...learn how to use them safely....that way if it's only punctures then you can have hundreds of repairs in a small tool box...couple of spare casings and the jobs done.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:29 pm

Just as Pilko says.....split rims but with good solid tires pumped to a pressure minimising sidewall bulging.. never been an advocate of 20-psi off road inflation pressures.
For me... 75 series L/C with 750-16 splits, van with 750-16 splits, four ditto spares and a box of patches.
Yep, Nightjar, those burnt off mulga stakes are what cause the damage, and its often a few days later on the road to town that the tire decides to deflate.
Pulling those bloody little spikes out of the sidewall can drive a bloke mad though. Mad
Mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:57 pm

Hi Pilko, Mike,

Agree with you on that one, I run splits for prospecting and when home change to fats

At the end of last season I said I bought some new tyres we got a set of six with the dimples still on for $450 with rims and tubes ready to go and the funny thing was that they all fitted in the back of the getz 2 door, that's six with rims

The tyres are hankooks z59's and yea I have to remember you still have to break the beads before you lever the split rim thingy off, funny that

Pilko are you talking east of mosquito

Cheers ,Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sat 25 Nov 2017, 2:14 pm

east of hayes

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Sat 25 Nov 2017, 2:43 pm

Hey pilko.... that's my name Shocked hayes creek nt...etc. we seem to be all over the country.... Cool
And to think we only came out here from the UK in 1949 Rolling Eyes
Mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sat 25 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

Hi Pilko,

Hayes Creek CHINA, I don't mind digging to china for me gold but fare dinkum mate you'd have to own your own plane to make it viable, got any better ideast

I'm stickin to what I know and that's greenstone and granite contact areas, faultlines and known lines of mines-reefs....bloody CHINA cheese

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sun 26 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

Hi Pilko,

Was it Hayes Creek NT you was talking about, if it was definetelly a bit far for us first up

I found Mt Hays and Hays something else and then ran into the Great Sandy Desert so I assumed you meant the one in NT

Cheers for the tip though

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sun 26 Nov 2017, 3:31 pm

Mt hayes...or hays (can't remember)...about 70km east of nullagine.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Sun 26 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

Cheers Pilko

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 03 Dec 2017, 10:56 pm

We went with bias ply tyres this time. The sidewalls are much stronger but we got a few rocks through the tread. No steel, all nylon 12 ply.

Detecting Spinefex country Flat_f10

Our split rims are easy in the way that they don't lock onto the bead but we have 24 bolts tightened to 185 ft/lbs. Also have solid plastic beadlocks in the tyre that don't present a problem fixing a flat but they are difficult to remove and refit into a new tyre.

We got three punctures through the tread and just kept stuffing them with plugs until we got home. I couldn't run full pressure because it kept pushing the plugs out. I'm looking for better plugs now that lock in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:33 am

Hi Phil & Sandra,

Like your new truck, we've had rocks go thru steel ply's so no joy there

Bush bashin sure can have its rewards but it can take its toll on our vehicles, we have gone out for months and not had any troubles and then wham, all hell brakes loose, but that's detectin

Watched your video and noticed the spinny didn't seem to be a problem for you, do you find areas that you cannot drive thru

Cheers,Ron Sherri and Yoda

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:35 pm

Flouro wrote:Hi All,

Need to do this and because we have never ventured to far north I thought we would ask for some advise

Quite a few questions, I spose the first would be would a quad work in amongst the spinny and can you pull out, dig up the spinny to detect

No ya can't, at least not legally. ANY surface disturbance needs a POW from DMIRS (Mines Dept) or a Native Vegatation Clearing Permit from the EPA.

Quad bikes are a PIA in spinfex, I got seasick doing it! You'll be doing a tyre every 30 seconds!

A lot of places out there have no roads, tracks so can a raised caravan clear the spinny or are we stuck to the tracks

What would be the indicators for yellow, is it the same as elsewhere or are we dealing with different geological stuff

See Pilko's comment below

One place we have visited is Edgerton and were told to look for black quartz a bit like obsidian, it also came with the normal quartz as well

Native tital land, can you get permissions or is it a waiste of time or a long drawn out process

Depend if it's EXCLUSIVE native title or just non-exclusive. If its the former you will need an access permit from the NT tribe involved. If its the latter you don't need a permit. However, places like Yandeeyarra are huge areas listed as "UBA" ground. That means "Use and Benefit of Aborigines" and good luck getting on there and staying long enough to have pee!

Water hole between Nullingine and Karratha, are they full all year or do they only occur in the wet season

Just about everything is bone dry in winter and underwater in summer! Skull Springs Road vanishes during the wet as does the Mt Newman to Nullagine Rd

Ive checked and most old timers gold strikes don't have gradings so does that mean that most don't have alluvial gold

No, it means they never declared the gold so the grades were never reported to "the authorities". That was common practice back then

What am I looking for, is it all what they call greenfields work

"Greenfeilds" means no other bugger has been on that ground. Not much of that left either!

Gee, I'm starting to sound like a mug{beginner}

Cheers, if you can help

Ron, Sherri and Yoda

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:39 am

Hi Wedgetail,

Thanks, that's afew more questions answered, not happy about not being able to use the quad
that things permanently attached to my hip

The reason I asked about the water holes is that I looked at a sat picture and saw huge amounts of water locked in with dry creeks running into them, so going by what you've said that must be the summer run off from the wet season

As for the Aboriginal access to there land it seems way too hard, so I would have to have a good reason to want to go thru that process

I saw that Moneybox took his quad in the trailer behind his new truck so there must be a few places they can be used but it's along way to haul one to just sit on the back of the tray

So there is afew things to work out, I guess we will never know unless we give it a go

Cheers Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down