Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!!

4 posters

Go down

Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!! Empty Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!!

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

I would love someone to help me with the best settings they have used in fairly benign soil , for a GPX 5000 and 25" nugget finder. Thanks Greg

Back to top Go down

Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!! Empty Re: Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!!

Post by martinjsto Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:58 pm

I copied this from another member sometime ago, hope it helps.

With the big coil, there's a lot of incoming receive signal to process, so:

Set on "Deep"

Set Motion (swing speed) on "Slow",,,,,,,,,and therefore move "Slow". No good being set on "Slow" and then tearing round like a greyhound. The machine won't be able to keep up. My estimate of "Slow" is less than one metre a second for a single swing, one way, of the coil.

Set Ground Balance on "Fixed" - check it often

Set  Gain on whatever you can get away with without getting too noisy from surrounding EMI. Trim that with "Stabiliser".

Set Timings to "Normal" on the front panel and only change to something quieter if the machine is just too noisy. I'd reduce the noise by using each setting in the Smooth range - gradually, one at a time until the machine gets quieter - which it may not do.

This is a primary set up for deep, big pieces using a big coil - which you are. All the other setting are personal preferences that I rarely mess about with as it ruins the familiarity that your hearing gets with practice.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!! Empty Re: Deep settings for GPX5000 with 25" Mono Please!!

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 4:11 pm

HI, Thanks very much for that info. I was wondering if enhanced would be the best timming to use with this.

Back to top Go down

Post by UTBN Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:11 pm

Search mode-normal
Soil timing-normal
Gain around 14
Stabiliser around 10
Motion-very slow
Audio-quiet
Audio tone around 45- 50
I used to used the 20 coupled to the 5k when searching known deep gold ground. I selected normal as the soil timing for its ability to punch down deep. Using normal as a timing would produce quite a lot of ground noise so with utilising other functions my aim was to stabilise the detector to allow me to hear those deep targets.
Motion in very slow would help quieten chatter down.
Audio in quiet as described in the manual would be used as a last resort. But in this case your aim is to quieten the surface down to enable the use of normal soil timing use. Your after deep large gold not little stuff so audio in quiet will help you to hear gold at depth
Things like dropping audio tone will also calm detector down, you can drop it lower if you like along with gain.
If you run your ground balance in fixed, you will need to regularly ground balance as you search.
On occasions I ran gb in tracking due to mineralised ground and helped run the 5 smoother.
Running in tracking won't track out obvious targets.
If you use what I suggest the trick is also to swing your coil at a very even height and with good technique.
Another tip is if you do get a suspect sound, ground balance near the target, if response weakens, walk. If it's there still, rip up several inches and check signal. You will get iffy sounds until you get accustomed to it but I found it wasn't too bad. These settings are far more powerful then fine gold or enhance.
A couple members off this forum can verify at least one target at pretty good depth that I retrieved. It was a specimen which made the find even better. I have used large coils successfully like this in the past. But maybe I'm just lucky.

UTBN

Back to top Go down

Post by UTBN Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:18 pm

Also you'll have to carry pick on shoulder

UTBN

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:20 pm

wdgreg wrote:HI,  Thanks very much for that info. I was wondering if enhanced would be the best timing  to use with this.

Enhance is used for more mineralized ground usually where your using the big coil to cover more ground patch hunting more so than depth.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by NuggieDreamer on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash Mon 09 Mar 2015, 7:39 pm

Greg ,
Are you looking for settings for WA ?
Ttrash
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Mar 2015, 4:49 am

Hi, Have been away from the computer,bit sorry a bit late in replying.
I will be using the 25" in NQ,, which has its hot spots, ground there is schist, rotten quartz (heavy weathering),galena and ironstone & sandstone.Mostly red soil but fairly quite. I have found 2& 3 gram nuggs up high. It appears to indicate that the host rock is very week looking quartz, almost rotten.I believe a large coil will find a good specie down deep in this location, going ever so slow ,taking martins advice. Thanks so much fellows for your advice so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down