Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airlines and Batteries

4 posters

Go down

Airlines and Batteries Empty Airlines and Batteries

Post by Bignuggs Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:55 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find the post.
The Minelab GPX5000 Lithium Ion battery. Can they be carried by Australian Air services in your cargo baggage ?
Skippers Aviation in Perth tell me they are not sure and I can't get an answer from Minelab themselves.
It seems that the rechargeable camcorder batteries used in the Coiltek SD/GP detector battery set up are ok, so I really can't see the difference.
Anyone have the answer ?

cheers 
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Airlines and Batteries Empty Re: Airlines and Batteries

Post by koeh Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm

I can't see why not, every ipad, phone,laptop etc that is carried on board has lithium batteries in them, so in my eyes I can't see it being any different

koeh

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanFox Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:27 am

koeh wrote:I can't see why not, every ipad, phone,laptop etc that is carried on board has lithium batteries in them, so in my eyes I can't see it being any different
http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100484

The Minelab GPX series detector battery is around 9.6Ah at 8.4 volt, and therefore can be said to be around 80 WattHour which is well under the 100Wh rating in the CASA Dangerous Goods advisory. Therefore, transportation conditions for a Minelab GPX series battery (and any other Lion battery of under 100Wh) are specified in that advisory.

A service provider still has the option to refuse transportation of a battery if they see fit. Note CASA state these batteries are carry-on only.
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:52 pm

hey cliff i went from dubbo to sydney to perth to newman and i just put it all
in a suitcase and said nothing. and pick it up at newman and it was all good. but if you like i will
lend you my spare:lol!: lol! 
cheers col

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanFox Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:30 pm

bluedog wrote:hey cliff i went from dubbo to sydney to perth to newman and i just put it all
in a suitcase and said nothing. and pick it up at newman and it was all good. but if you like i will
cheers col
I would do the right thing and carry the battery on as cabin luggage . With many aircraft the cargo area is not pressurised and a canister type battery could vent with unpredictable behaviour. Lithium Ion batteries are known for their pyrotechnics, and a fire in the cargo area is not something I want to see on an aircraft, and would not want to be held responsible for.

The responsible thing to do is carry the battery on as cabin luggage. If someone has so little concern that they are prepared to risk the lives of 10s to 100s of people on an aircraft by not following the requirements, I wonder if they would fill their holes in. Shocked Shocked 
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I finally got a response from Minelab and it appears safe to be included as carryon hand luggage.

Hi Cliff
The regulations are a little different for goods carried by passengers or crew on aircrafts then they are when shipped as freight.

According to the IATA Table 2.3.A

“Portable electronic devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, such as watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, lap-top computers, camcorders, etc., when carried by passengers or crew for personal use.” – Permitted in or as carry-on baggage, permitted in or as checked baggage & permitted on one’s person.

“All spare batteries, including lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, for such portable electronic devices must be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.” – Permitted in or as carry-on baggage & permitted on one’s person.

I don’t believe any special documentation is required for this form of transport. However I guess it wouldn’t hurt to be over prepared so I have attached a copy of the safety data sheet & our battery declarations (one if the battery is packed in the detector box but not connected to it & one if carrying the battery separate from the detector).

I have also checked the State Variations and Skippers Aviations Operator Variations and cannot find any reason for the customer not to be able to fly with the battery as outlined above.

I would recommend that the customer places the battery in an inner packaging that completely encloses the battery (e.g. sealed plastic bag) & than put it in strong outer packaging (e.g. Cardboard box), even if it’s packed with the detector.

Here’s some additional facts that he might be asked for:

• Lithium Ion Battery
• Less than 100 Watt-hours
• The Watt-hour rating is marked on the outside of the battery case
• This battery meets the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3.
• This battery has been manufactured under a quality management program as described in IATA 3.9.2.6(e).
• The battery itself is capable of withstanding a 1.2 meter drop test without damage.
• The battery itself is internally protected against short circuit.

I hope this all helps?
Thanks,

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:21 pm

UrbanFox wrote:
bluedog wrote:hey cliff i went from dubbo to sydney to perth to newman and i just put it all
cheers col
I would do the right thing and carry the battery on as cabin luggage . With many aircraft the cargo area is not pressurised and a canister type battery could vent with unpredictable behaviour. Lithium Ion batteries are known for their pyrotechnics, and a fire in the cargo area is not something I want to see on an aircraft, and would not want to be held responsible for.

The responsible thing to do is carry the battery on as cabin luggage. If someone has so little concern that they are prepared to risk the lives of 10s to 100s of people on an aircraft by not following the requirements, I wonder if they would fill their holes in. Shocked Shocked 
hey urban sorry to ruffle your fur but the battery has nothing to do with holes
cheers col Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanFox Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:33 pm

bluedog wrote:
hey urban sorry to ruffle your fur but the battery has nothing to do with holes
cheers col Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
No feathers ruffled, bluedog..... but.... I regularly have people I care about flying, and I wouldn't want them losing their lives because of a fire in the carge area of an aircraft that got out of control. I am pleased to see Bignuggs has ignored your inference that he follow your behaviour, and is going the extra to identify what the responsible direction is.
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Aug 2013, 5:49 pm

thank god the battery is internally protected coz I wouldn't want the bloody thing to fart and blow of hole in my back...

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 6:17 pm

oneday monday wrote:thank god the battery is internally protected coz I wouldn't want the bloody thing to fart and blow of hole in my back...

regards
oneday
I'll sling the battery a bit lower and it can blow more holes in my jocks  Airlines and Batteries 3179412840   

Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down