Sulphuric acid and gold

Go down

Sulphuric acid and gold Empty Sulphuric acid and gold

Post by xenon on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

Just a quick question people. Will SULPHURIC ACID clean gold. I know Hydrochloric acid will disolve quartz around the gold (all be it extremely slowely) and that alibrite works too. The reason I am asking is because both hydrochloric and sulphuric acid can be used in pool maintenence so must have similar properties, and seeing that less sulphuric needs to be used than hydrochloric acid then surely it must be a stronger acid. Soooooo, will sulphuric acid clean gold from quartz quicker without damaging the gold.
xenon
xenon

Back to top Go down

Sulphuric acid and gold Empty Re: Sulphuric acid and gold

Post by Guest on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

Both sulfphuric and hydrochloric are very slow on even ironstone, slower with quartz,
a weak solution say 40% of hydroflouric would be better.
Is this for dissolving a mainly quartz specie or just quartz inclusions and cleaning.

Back to top Go down

Post by xenon on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:36 pm

Thanks Pete,
It is for various specis and a few pieces that need cleaning out etc.
I realise alibrite has a small amount of hydrofloric acid in it (1% i believe), so where am I able to purchase full strength hydrofloric acid? I realise it is not an off the shelf item due to the dangers that surround it.
Cheers
xenon
xenon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:26 pm

Unfortunately HF is only available under liscence these days, unless you know a bloke
who knows a bloke in mining.
There used to be a 10% aluminium cleaner/etcher that you could buy from boat shops;
i think the one on the cnr of roe and great eastern hwy's used to have it.
Besides that you can try making your own, there are plenty videos on you-tube showing
it but i wouldn't recommend it unless ya passed at chemistry in high school Very Happy

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:27 am

DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH HYDROFLOURIC ACID!!!

IT WILL KILL YOU!!!

3. HAZARD IDENTIFICATION

Hazardous according to the criteria of Worksafe Australia

Hazard Category: Very Toxic, Very Corrosive

ACUTE HEALTH EFFECTS

Swallowed:

Very toxic if swallowed.

Will cause severe burns to the mouth, mucous membranes, throat, oesophagus and stomach with effects including: Spontaneous vomiting with diarrhoea and possible bloody stools. Small quantities (approximately 100-300 ml), swallowed will cause death.

Eye:

Hydrogen Fluoride vapours can dissolve in the moisture on the surface of the eyes and cause irritation. Splashing into the eye may cause severe and irreversible damage with possible corneal scarring.

Skin:

Very toxic by skin contact.

Will cause severe burns to the skin, with effects including: redness, blistering, localised pain, dermatitis and deep burns. Burns from strong HF (50-70%) are felt immediately, weaker solutions (25%) may take a few minutes to be noticed, solutions of 1-20% may not be felt for several hours. Serious skin splashes have caused death.

Inhaled:

Very toxic if inhaled.

Weak vapour concentrations of a few ppm can produce irritation of the nose, throat and respiratory system with effects including: dizziness, headache, incoordination, chest pains, coughing. respiratory paralysis and or failure. High vapour concentrations can cause severe burns to the lips, mouth, throat and lungs. Fluid accumulation in lungs may occur and can lead to death.

Chronic:

The major health hazards of hydrogen fluoride exposure are related to its corrosive properties during its short-term (acute) exposures.

Possible long term effects:

FLUORISIS: Fluoride tend to accumulate in the bones and excessive amounts will produce weakening and degeneration of the bone structure (osteosclerosis). There may also be heart, nerve, and intestinal problems. Fluorosis may be slowly and partially reversible.

CARCINOGENICITY: No specific data is available. There is no evidence of an association between human cancer and exposure to inorganic fluorides.

TERATOGENICITY AND EMBRYOTOXICITY: There is no inconclusive data from animal studies suggesting possible reproductive effects.

POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATION: Fluoride is stored in the bone, but may be eliminated over a number of years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum