Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild dogs

5 posters

Go down

Wild dogs Empty Wild dogs

Post by Pebbles Thu 04 Apr 2019, 6:33 pm

The wild dog problem in WA is well documented.  Over my years of prospecting, I have seen quite a few dogs, usually while driving around.  Mostly they have been lone animals and certainly not in packs.

Up to date, I may have seen the odd lone dog while out swinging the detector.  I have however, come across some massive paw prints and heard plenty of howling at night and early morning.

While there have been no recorded attacks on people here in the West AFAIK, I try not to think too much about packs of wild dogs, especially when I am out alone a long way from camp.

Maybe it’s because I am getting older that I am now thinking of carrying a pepper spray

Are there any other scaredy cats here or just me?

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Wild dogs Empty Re: Wild dogs

Post by hoolahoopa Thu 04 Apr 2019, 8:31 pm

Definitely a problem I came across the biggest dog skeleton I have seen about a year ago only 15km out of kalgoorlie would have hated to met it in the bush when it was alive. Took the skull home to my mates place who always thinks he is being followed by them and put it on his porch for a laugh. He didn't laugh don't know why.

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Mon 08 Apr 2019, 9:02 pm

Hey Col, you are not the only scaredy cat out there, as of last season I carry a pepper spray...just incase.

Todate I haven't see a dog whilst out detecting however have heard the odd dingo howl during the night.

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 09 Apr 2019, 7:36 am

One trip every night we heard them calling to one another, what we heard was the half bark/howl like they were coughing during their howl. Put it down to not dingoes but half breed wild dogs.

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Trinket Sat 13 Apr 2019, 3:54 pm

A bloke once told me how he used to take his dog out bush with him. It was a large male Mastiff but gentle in nature. It would tag along with him while he scratched around but one day he realised it had been a while scince he last saw him. The bloke conducted a search and came over a rise to find his dog surrounded by a pack of dingo dogs getting its ar*e end eaten.
Very distressing and another reason to not take the hounds out bush.
Trinket
Trinket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down