Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POW application

4 posters

Go down

POW application Empty POW application

Post by Selfy Thu 23 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

a question for the more informed

we pegged a lease earlier this year its only 17 ha, now the standard POW allows 500 tons to be disturbed in total anything over 10000 tons requires ministerial approval
so how easy is it to get an extension to the tonnage and what would you apply for    scratch scratch scratch

cheers Selfy

Selfy

Back to top Go down

POW application Empty Re: POW application

Post by rusty gates Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:36 pm

Hi Selfy

I'm too much of a newbie to be of any help to you, but I'm thinking it might be worth giving the mines department a call, as they seem super helpful.
Hope this helps.

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by Selfy Fri 24 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

yeah have spoken to them and they are helpfull, was just trying to gauge what gets passed easily and what gets stuffed around due to larger tonnage on the smaller block, the plan is to do some costean,s and then push and dry blow

Selfy

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Thu 30 Nov 2017, 6:38 am

You can get more than one POW on your tenement...so if you need more then you can apply for more...but then it's another 5 week wait.

You can get up to 100 000t on a POW-P. Yes anything over the 10k needs approval but that's generally no biggy.
The tonnage isn't the biggest issue, it's disturbance footprint..that's what they are worried about. I always go for a minimum of 5ha and 6000t as a starting point. If I only use a fraction of that...who cares. Don't forget that camp sites, tracks, even slew areas for machines are part of your disturbance footprint so you can use up the ha pretty quick. Alway's leave yourself a little 'wiggle room'. When you describe your work areas include something non descript such as "plus various sample cuts"..it could mean anything and it will cover your ar*e. If things are changing on the ground (ie the gold flow is in the opposite direction) then keep them informed. Generally, as long as your tonnage and footprint do not exceed what has been approved on the POW then they are a little flexible as to where your working.

On the negative side...prob no point asking DMIRS...everything (and I mean everything) is controlled by the enviro division and frankly, the parameters/guildlines they set are changing all the time...which means almost no-one knows whats going on outside of the enviro's!! Having said that...on an individual basis they are really helpful and it's alway's best to ask first.

If you need any help feel free to ask...good luck.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:45 am

All that Tony says there is spot on. It's easy to disguise "tonnage" as once you put the disturbed dirt "back in the hole" who knows how deep you went. DMIRS would need to drill the spot to ascertain how deep you went and thus work out the cubic mtrs and thence work out the tonnes you disturbed. They ain't never, not ever gonna do THAT!

Again, as Tony says, its the footprint of the disturbed ground that's the defining factor. That's because its the surface that "holds" the environmental damage, vegetation, birds and animals. Also bear in mind that only the top 300mm or so has any nutritional humus or "compost" value. If we plough the dirt back in without at least trying to out the topsoil back on top where it came from, we literally sterilise the ground 'cos the barren subsurface dirt is then on the top and not much will grow other than weeds. It will come back but it'll take a lot longer to have proper regrowth. These are the reasons the Enviro Section in DMIRS have a very robust system to control what can & can't be done out there. They wanna keep a tally across the State of how much disturbance is being done to our land, which is fair enough I suppose. Remember, we may think that we're not doing much damage and it's a BIG State, but there's lot of other people out there besides us and they may be working only a few kms away. Hence, the impact is concentrated in particular areas and therefore it's more damaging. This is their logic and it's not done just to annoy us, even though it looks like that sometimes.

Having said that, us small guys are generally dealt with leniently as our small footprints don't cause much of a problem. But ya wanna check out what the big miners have to deal with when they plan a mine site! "War n Peace" is shorter!

Tonnage is easy up to 10k tonnes as it's dealt with at the level of the local mining registrar. It's all over in a week or three. More than that and it gets passed up the line to the Mines Minister. One such application took 11 months and another took 8 months. That was totally unacceptable and APLA "took the case to the cleaners". DMIRS (DMP at the time) copped a hammering and the finally admitted they stuffed up after a lot of pressure was brought to bear. Any such excess tonnage app should take no longer than 3 months maximum. Call APLA is you have any issues and we'll hammer it again. I know someone in APLA that loves doing such things! Embarassed

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Selfy Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:12 pm

thanks for the replies that clears it up a little bit
I was going to apply for 5000t but hadn't thought about the ha side of things

cheers Selfy

Selfy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sat 02 Dec 2017, 4:28 pm

Selfy,

The hectare side of things is controlled anyway. With a POW-E or POW-P you are restricted in the size of your "footprint" and you have to ensure that you never have more than 2ha open at any one time. Which means that you rehab as you go. Dig a bit, detect it until there's no more gold coming up, then backfill and scarify it, then move along, dig up a bit more.

So you can see that even if you get 5000 tonnes but your footprint is say, 1 ha then that's 10,000 sq mtrs at 0.5 tonne of dirt per sq mtr. Calculate that with a soil density of 1.8 to the cubic mtr and that doesn't give you a lot of depth does it? So backfill as you go and you cover up the depth,,,,,,,and the tonnage!

"Honest yer honour, I only scraped off the top weeds to do some detecting". (no depth equals no tonnes) POW application 452991977

"Seemple" said the meerkat!

W

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko Sun 03 Dec 2017, 4:48 am

Hi Les...I put a bulking factor of '0' rather than the 1.8...at the 1.8 it almost halfs your pow in one hit.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Sun 03 Dec 2017, 6:46 pm

Pilko,

You are taking the p**s. A bulking factor of "0" means you are pushing dirt that not only is lighter than water but is also lighter than helium, hydrogen, natural gas and air. Therefore the WA Goldfields is floating above us all like a ghostly apparition!? What are you using to push your dirt? Santa's sleigh? Rolling Eyes

But I know you're joking? lol!

W

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down