Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depth for the 17 x 13 NF Evolution

3 posters

Go down

Depth for the 17 x 13 NF Evolution Empty Depth for the 17 x 13 NF Evolution

Post by mtsapphiretom Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:11 am

Hi
I'm from Montana in the US. I was wondering if someone could give me information on some settings in really quiet ground. I have found a little over 4 ounces of gold in a patch from about 2 inches to 10 inches. I am fairly new to metal detecting but have read numerous articles that there should be gold deeper, but have not found any yet. I have the 18 inch mono commander and the 17 x 13 evolution. If anyone could give me information on which can go deeper I would certainly appreciate it. I know there has got to be gold deeper than what I have found.

mtsapphiretom

Back to top Go down

Depth for the 17 x 13 NF Evolution Empty Re: Depth for the 17 x 13 NF Evolution

Post by Guest Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:55 am

mtsapphiretom wrote:Hi
I'm from Montana in the US. I was wondering if someone could give me information on some settings in really quiet ground. I have found a little over 4 ounces of gold in a patch from about 2 inches to 10 inches. I am fairly new to metal detecting but have read numerous articles that there should be gold deeper, but have not found any yet. I have the 18 inch mono commander and the 17 x 13 evolution. If anyone could give me information on which can go deeper I would certainly appreciate it. I know there has got to be gold deeper than what I have found.

G'day mtsapphiretom

Traditionally a round 18" mono will go deeper than a 17x 13 elliptical mono coil, whether this is true or not if the elliptical coil is an evolution type coil is hard to say as I have not used one and compared it, but the best way to find out is to bury a target in the vicinity of the patch you are working and test one against the other, as you are testing in the same ground that you are getting the gold from then you should be able to make a fair comparison between the two, my money would be on the 18" round, but I would try both coils over the patch anyway to be sure.

Depending on what machine you are running you may need to get some advice on the best settings for deep targets, for instance if you are running a gpx 4500 you would be better running it in normal rather than enhance as you are saying the ground is quiet there would be little advantage in using enhance.

Something I would also suggest is to work your patch with a big coil in the cool of the early morning, clear debris away such as branches and rocks if possible so you can get the coil close to the ground, and wear headphones instead of using an external speaker, then swing low and slow and listen for even the most subtle change in the threshold, deep targets are often vague signal responses that are similar to ground noise and may not be that obvious, so it might pay to take your time and investigate (dig everything) until you are sure what it is.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by mtsapphiretom Thu 06 Apr 2017, 5:27 am

Thank you for your input au-fever. I forgot to mention that I am using a 5000. The ground that I found this patch in is very flat with only a few small trees. It is empty of rocks and branches, but does have small cactus about 1-2 inches high which keeps the coil off the ground in some instances, and also has a lot of sagebrush which makes it almost impossible at times to detect under it. I do have it empty of any kind of trash which is why I am asking for advice on coil selection and depth. Thank you

mtsapphiretom

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Thu 06 Apr 2017, 7:42 pm

mtsapphiretom wrote:Hi

Tom,

If you have your machine setup correctly either coil is going to find gold (perhaps not sub-gram) deeper than 10" in quiet ground. I was out with a guy a couple of weeks back with a 17" x 13" Evolution where his depth was disappointing until we took a look at his settings. I don't know the 5000 but a quick look showed me that he was running something near factory settings where the gain was half way up the scale. There was no reason for him to not have the gain screwed up to the limit. We wound his stabilizer up a lot higher as well. The ground was quiet with just a hint of ground noise at flatout so why was he only using half his available power?

Sometimes you might have to put up with a bit of noise that can't be tuned out just to take advantage of the extra penetration on higher settings. Other times running lower settings with the machine dead quiet can be an advantage as well. This can work well in those quiet times with no breeze or background noise. But then you've already got 4 oz so I guess you know what you're doing Very Happy

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by mtsapphiretom Thu 06 Apr 2017, 8:26 pm

I just got lucky with this patch. I found 37 nuggets from .4 on up to 20.2. You would think that there would be something a little deeper than 10 inches. I will try your suggestion and hopefully find some more. Thank you

mtsapphiretom

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:57 am

mtsapphiretom wrote:I just got lucky with this patch. I found 37 nuggets from .4 on up to 20.2. You would think that there would be something a little deeper than 10 inches. I will try your suggestion and hopefully find some more. Thank you

That's why we see the guys scraping the top few inches off with a dozer and then detecting again. Perhaps the gold was in soil that was deposited in more recent times and the base layer never had gold in the first place.

Back to top Go down

Post by mtsapphiretom Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:16 am

I tried to max out my machine this morning but the cloud cover had to much emi. So I tried the quiet settings and ended up with a .5 gram nugget at 4 inches. Thanks for your suggestions Moneybox. The next time I have clear skies in the morning I will try maxing out my 5000.

mtsapphiretom

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Thu 30 Aug 2018, 1:56 pm

Screwing the RX up will not give you any more penetration. The tx is the same whatever the settings as far as I am aware. The most important factor is to have the machine run as quiet as you can get it, wear good headphones and listen for those very faint signals. I run mine in enhanced mainly because our ground is very mineralised. On normal I often seem to chase ground noise and hot rocks too often. That said, I have gotten faint signals which proved to be gold while using normal, where when switching back to enhance I haven’t been able to hear it.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down