Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coleman gas stove

+5
Charlie 59
Scrubby
Hotrock
purple-dragon
geof_junk
9 posters

Go down

Coleman gas stove Empty Coleman gas stove

Post by Bignuggs Wed 09 Nov 2016, 6:28 pm

has anyone got one of these gas stoves.  It looks the goods. I'm getting a bit cheesed of with my Primus when the gas goes out in a bit of wind.

Coleman gas stove Fn10

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Coleman gas stove Empty Re: Coleman gas stove

Post by geof_junk Sat 12 Nov 2016, 3:54 pm

If they are any thing like their unleaded fuel stoves you will be happy.

geof_junk

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:22 am

I bought a coleman petrol powered hurricane style lamp and its a bottler -one tank of fuel keeps it lit all night-and the quality of their gear is excellent -Dragon
purple-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrock Tue 29 May 2018, 8:27 pm

I bought one and so far I like it!

Hotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrubby Wed 30 May 2018, 5:35 pm

Mate, what are you going to do with the Primus if you get one of these ?
One option would be to send it over to me, I don`t have a wind problem.

Scrubby

Back to top Go down

Coleman gas stove Empty Coleman gas stove

Post by Charlie 59 Sun 10 Jun 2018, 7:24 pm

Hi Bignuggs ,
               If you bought one  have you had a chance to get out bush and give the stove a try out .
Would be interested to know how it went . keen on getting something better than the single burner .

Cheers Charlie

Charlie 59

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 11 Jun 2018, 11:05 am

Charlie 59 wrote:Hi Bignuggs ,
               If you bought one  have you had a chance to get out bush and give the stove a try out .
Would be interested to know how it went . keen on getting something better than the single burner .

Cheers Charlie

No, I haven't bothered buying one.  from some reviews I've seen on utube, they are good but not if you have to have something on "simmer".    probably ok for fast cooking with meat and boiling vegies.
Cheers
Cliff

PS.  Scrubby, if you don't have wind, then eat more baked beans Very Happy

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 18 Dec 2019, 2:53 pm

Thought I'd do a follow up post on the Coleman Fyrenight stove.
After reading a lot of reviews and watching clips on youtube, there was a common problem with the stove.  You couldn't get the flame down low enough to "simmer".  That was until I saw this new vid clip and it got me thinking.  I had the same problem with my Primus stove so, I tried the fix and it works.
I won't be buying a new stove now, the Primus works like magic   Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by merc1 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 7:09 pm

good post Bignuggs,,,I'll be checking my gas stove...

merc1

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Thu 19 Dec 2019, 8:38 am

I am now spending a few months out on the lease each year and here are two things that have become 'necessities' for me. Links are just to show the products, I bought them ages ago.

Simmer rings. These things are great. I use them on the wood fire grill - which is what I mainly cook on, and also the single burners we use occasionally. Handles ultimately burn off but doesn't matter.

https://ebay.us/7RCrsr

And this split in half to make 2 shields. Used to shield fire and also gas burners.  Also great for around camp oven especially when its windy as it stops it becoming a blast furnace.

https://www.snowys.com.au/four-sided-windshield?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARIsAFEOQ9HAMKccx_AryWDUF4HPar9iNuI2G58MjW0L4L7Edt6F9w1VAKUi-OQaAo6UEALw_wcB

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 21 Dec 2019, 5:02 pm

Stingray, if it works, then that's all that matters.
As for the wind shield, I'll be making my own. I found a place that can cut ali sheet to the size I want and add a few hinges cheaper but, that's just me. If I can save at least $10, it's worth it for me.
Cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 31 Jan 2020, 1:09 pm

I didn't think I would be posting again about the simmer flame but I was wrong and I'm trying to find a fix that will work for at least a few weeks.
The silicone fix didn't last long so I then tried good old petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and it worked for a short time.
So then I tried Selleys RP7 multi purpose lubricant and my opinion is, so far so good but it's not a complete fix but it has lasted the longest.
So to cut this saga short, it appears it is a job that would have to be done often, at least every 2 weeks.
The jets on my Primus are tiny little buggers when you see them compared to a AAA battery and the problem is with the 2 rubber O rings.  when lubricant dries out, the rubber is binding and when you turn the flame down low, the bugger of a jet actually turns it self up.
I'm almost tempted to try wheel bearing grease, that'll be the next test lol!

Coleman gas stove Jet10

Cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrubby Fri 31 Jan 2020, 5:59 pm

Cliff Mate,
   Maybe there is too much grease or the wrong type of grease in the valve , try cleaning both the valve stem and the internal valve seat with Acetone, Metho or Paint Thinners or similar using a cotton bud or the like.
Obtain some "O Ring" grease from a Bearing Supply business and using  a very small amount on your fingers smear a little on the O Rings ONLY, on the valve stem .
IMO it is the O Rings gripping the inside of the valve after the original grease has deteriorated that is the problem .  
It`s quite possible that I am wrong , I`ve been wrong many times before, but it`s worth a shot.

All the best Mate.

Scrubby.

Scrubby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 22 Mar 2020, 9:28 pm

I was hoping I would never have to comment on this again but I will.
I've tried lots of stuff and the last and final test, I tried heavy duty wheel bearing grease.  Nothing works.  The mongrel jets wind them selves back to a high flame.
Now my Primus camp stove is 5 years old so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.
So I thought I'd email some of the companies like Primus and Coleman to see what they have to say.  I'm like a dog with a bone at times and I'm not gunna let it go Razz
Maybe the newer stoves work better and this saga will continue.  Watch for the next episode lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Tue 24 Mar 2020, 2:02 pm

You can cook ? lol!

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: