Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sat Phones

4 posters

Go down

Sat Phones Empty Sat Phones

Post by Bignuggs Mon 31 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

Lots of talk about communications for the scrub and what we should carry with us so, does anyone know of a good deal with Sat Phones.
They are expensive so what is a reasonably priced good phone and pre paid subscription.
Or would it be better to get an antenna setup for a mobile phone.
Cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Sat Phones Empty Re: Sat Phones

Post by flyrock Mon 31 Oct 2016, 6:56 pm

Hey Cliff
Gail & I have the Thurya Satsleeve+ (the new model - WIFI not Bluetooth) and the Hotspot stand.
Initial purchase cost approx. $900.
We're on a $15 per month plan (initial $25 connection fee) with Pivotel. Phone number is an Aussie 040 number, so incoming calls are charged normal rate. We don't get charged for incoming calls.
No call costs are included. Txts are 0.50c each, calls are $1.00 min.
Gail just txt's our daughter, and she rings back - cost us 50c and her nothing, as it is in her monthly plan. They can talk for hours.
We just suspended the account last month, so we pay nothing till we activate it again next season. (We are still unsure whether we will get a new sim/number, but it doesn't bother us if our number changes, as we only give it out to family and close friends)
We think having phone access, for emergencies, anywhere on the earth for about $100 a year (7 months we're away) is cheap.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Phil

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrubby Mon 31 Oct 2016, 7:26 pm

My "Iridium 9505A" model has been around for ages but they are still reasonably popular, there are five on FleaBay now. I paid about $700 for mine second Hand 9>10 years ago.
I bought this model because you can use the Sim Card from your Mobile in the sat phone providing the Sim is not on a "pre-Paid Plan" and it is enabled for "International Roaming".
At about $4 per min calls are a tad expensive for social calls but cheap if you are in trouble, it just goes on your phone bill.

Stay safe young fella, paeirgcy vp

Scrubby

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Mon 31 Oct 2016, 8:40 pm

Hey, we just picked up an Inmarsat I satphone pro from gumtree in brand new condition, used once just to test it so we were told. $450, there were others on there for around $500 our son has has this model and is very pleased with his which cost him $1700 when the government was offering the rebate.
Chris and June
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum