Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet on the Gold Fields

+9
shorty
Jack-Tar
martinjsto
Waznme
Narrawa
Flying kiwi
Bignuggs
delapan
Rege-PA
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Internet on the Gold Fields - Page 2 Empty Internet on the Gold Fields

Post by Rege-PA Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:59 am

First topic message reminder :

:?: Is it possible to use a lap top in the remote areas of WA and does any one do so? Seems it would be helpful to locate old mines and diggings.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Internet on the Gold Fields - Page 2 Empty Re: Internet on the Gold Fields

Post by martinjsto Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:02 am

thanks au fever, that is what this forum is all about, sharing resolutions to common issues and saving everyone expense and time. i will try my yagi's in a few weeks and see how they go. we are only about 50k from town in a high area so hopefully we will get some reception. i will look into the omni aerials, i thought about a similar setup that could be pivoted down for traveling and extendable for setup, achieving height isnt always whats its about though, sometimes you can go above the ideal position. there is a code you can put into your phone that will bring up a setup app. this app tells you the actual signal strength not the "bars" strength as these are difference as the bars could be indication noise rather than signal. google your particular phone for the dial code for setup. with this you can tune your antenna direction dead on. omni has their advantages over a Yagi but they can switch between towers depending on incoming signal fluctuations causing drop outs where as once a yagi is setup and not moved then as it is directional the signal should be stable and regular.
also I am a real scrooge when it comes to buying stuff I can make or learn to make. (just hate spending money) hehe, and would rather learn the technical side of things so i can repair them if necessary.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:20 pm

au-fever wrote:The other thing you can do if you really just want to be able to gain a bit more reception for your phone is make an extendable antenna mount that you can attach to the roof rack, I went through the process of trying a "yagi" for getting reception in fringe areas but found that it is very dependant on knowing the precise direction to point the thing in, I didn't find it very easy to setup so I went to the option of using an omnidirectional broomstick antenna instead.

What I did was the attach the broomstick to the end of a extendable tent pole, one of the galvanised type ones with the thumbscrew that locks it into place when extended out, running the cable down the inside of the pole, attached the pole to lower bar on the side the roof rack, with the base of the pole at the front and with a single bolt through the base for the pole through the rack bar for it to pivot on, above that I fitted another bolt on the top bar to lock it into place, on the pole I attached with a rivet one of those half saddles, so when you raise it up you can lock it into the upright position with the top bolt on the roof rack going through a hole in the saddle.

The antenna end of the pole runs along the side of the rack, using those plastic snap attachments to hold it in place when not in use, when you want to use it you simply slide the pole out to its full extension, lock it into place then lift it up to the upright position and then use the top bolt to secure it there, the antenna wire that comes with the broomstick antenna is very long so you have excess of it coming out from the bottom end of the extension pole, using a patch lead that screws into the end of the lead and plugs into the phone, I can attach mine to the phone directly or plug it into the car kit.

The antenna on the end of the pole and attached to the roof rack gets it up about 5/6 metres off the ground, it takes about 5 minutes to set up and is not dependant on being faced in the right direction at all times, I have been able to get reception in areas on the outskirts where I could not get reception with the car kit that has the antenna mounted to the bulbar.

You will however have to source a patch lead to suit your phone, also not all phones have the antenna plug port so you wont be able to use this set up anyway.

au-fever

Thanks au-fever I could really use this but if I mention it to Sandra she'd just remind me how I'd forget and drive of with it at full height. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by gut feeling Fri 17 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

same as flying kiwi laptop with prepay through usb .works for me between meeka ,mount magnet cue.
gut feeling
gut feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 18 Oct 2014, 7:42 am

Not sure what make of phone you have Phil, but if you take the battery/back cover off you might see a port for an external aerial.
I use a samsung S2, it's not advertised but the port is there.
I got an aerial and lead from this mob and they were extremely helpful with what I needed for the phone.

http://www.telcoantennas.com.au/

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldy Sun 21 Feb 2016, 2:18 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Not sure what make of phone you have Phil, but if you take the battery/back cover off you might see a port for an external aerial.
I use a samsung S2, it's not advertised but the port is there.
I got an aerial and lead from this mob and they were extremely helpful with what I needed for the phone.

http://www.telcoantennas.com.au/
Thanks for that tid bit Bignuggs..Spot on just pulled the back cover off my Samsung and there it is ..never knew that..just solved a big problem..just put an aerial on the bull bar and jobs done Cheers.
Baldy
Baldy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 21 Feb 2016, 6:16 pm

I've only had one problem so far and that is with the patch lead that plugs into the phone.
It has a very fine pin connection and can be a bit fiddly.
I did try the set up when I was at Quinns last year and was able to get Perth without having to get on a hill.

cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baldy Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:52 am

http://www.mobilerepeateraustralia.com/products/vehicle-signalbooster-vehicle-telstra-signal-booster Looks interesting..Has any one used one..cheers
Baldy
Baldy

Back to top Go down

Post by red devil Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:15 am

Hi Baldy
I have a booster a mate bought two in from the USA only cost about au $120.00 it gives me around 40/50 Km more distance depending the landscape and some time more. me mate uses his in conjunction with his computer. We find the booster a real asset but we also carry a sat phone.

regards
red
red devil
red devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2