Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country

+4
Nightjar
BIG GEM
Hopperite
UrbanFox
8 posters

Go down

Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Empty Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country

Post by UrbanFox Tue 15 Dec 2015, 9:15 am

For all the grey nomads travelling our great country (and I think they will allow fair dinkum prospectors also), and wanting to access the forum.....

Telstra have opened up their "Telstra Air Network" for free access to users of Telstra Prepaid, Home Broadband, whatever, until the middle of next year (then they will probably want you to pay for it :-[ but who knows). Now with no time limits and unlimited data so they say....

https://www.telstra.com.au/latest-offers/telstra-air-free-wifi-offer?ti=TR:TR:Dec15:freewifi:vanity

The AIR network is a WiFi network that is accessed through Hotspots around the countryside.

Telstra have an app for both Apple iOS and Android that when allowed access to your location will display on a map the location of the surrounding Air hotspots. If you don't have data on the device you need to find your hotspots here when you do have internet access....

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Find-your-nearest-Telstra-Retail/ct-p/tstore#?searchOption=wifiHotspots&searchQuery=

... enter the postcode, make sure the dropdown box on the right says "WiFi Hotspots" and go to it!!

Definitely worth checking out.... and Enjoy!!
UrbanFox
UrbanFox

Back to top Go down

Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Empty Re: Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country

Post by Hopperite Tue 15 Dec 2015, 1:58 pm

Hi

Sounds good, but just be aware it may have no time or data limit, but as I understand it comes out of whatever your home or phone limit is.

Apart from that good for travelers.

Regards

Hopperite

Back to top Go down

Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Empty Re: Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country

Post by BIG GEM Tue 15 Dec 2015, 3:47 pm

Just tried the link and it works well for Perth region, sadly, I don't think it will help us prospectors as no hot spot access for Paynes Find or Mt Magnet.

Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 15 Dec 2015, 4:48 pm

Parked up in the Cue caravan park this year, one of our forum members showed me how to use my mobile phone as the modem to get wifi. I learn something new everyday and it worked well.
Anyway, using your mobile is easy but it all comes down to how much download allowance you are given from your provider.
The other alternative which I'm thinking of getting is, the prepaid wifi stick just for the laptop. but you gotta look at the cost and how much you will use it.
As for Paynes Find, I have been told by a very reliable source, you won't get mobile coverage from there. so how you are supposed to get a phone call out, I'm buggered if I know.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue 15 Dec 2015, 5:21 pm

Purchased a $50.00 dongle usb prepaid for the laptop a few years back and only used it when we drove into Leonora for supplies and while there check the emails. We used about $10.00 for the month and when it rolled over to the next month the remaining credit went to topping up Telstra CEO bonus. Evil or Very Mad
So be warned do not over spend on prepaid. (You can top it up while you're out and about if you're getting low.)

Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Signature2

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Tue 15 Dec 2015, 7:00 pm

Bignuggs wrote: As for Paynes Find, I have been told by a very reliable source, you won't get mobile coverage from there.  so how you are supposed to get a phone call out, I'm buggered if I know.

Hi Cliff,
you can get phone coverage at Paynes Find provided you park on top of a hill & have a decent high gain Yagi aerial up about 20 ft
linked to the repeater at Golden Grove Mine!!!!!

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Signature
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 15 Dec 2015, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the info Ted.
But I look at it this way, if the Mt Magnet Police can't use mobiles to call Paynes Find due to no coverage, then it's a worry.
But just a few weeks back, I even found there was no mobile coverage a piddly 60ks south of Magnet.
Pretty poor when you consider everyone has mobile phones these days.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Tue 15 Dec 2015, 9:00 pm

Yeh Cliff,
There are two Telstra Repeaters that I know of between Wubin & Mt Magnet that would give coverage
in those areas that are not switched on!!!!
Telstra may think it too costly to put them into operation
There is another one at Youanmi that is switched off too.

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Signature
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:41 pm

Does anyone know why there is no mobile coverage between Wubin and Magnet apart from the repeaters being turned off.
There has to be a reason. Seems a bit stupid and dangerous having no coverage.
What happens if you have a heart attack or break down, you would have to rely on someone stopping and passing on a message at the next town.
Or hoping there is a station close by with phone access.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Wed 16 Dec 2015, 5:56 pm

Looks like you need another mod for your ute then Cliff, an extendible 20' Yagi Antenna! or get carry a sat phone to text from like O'l mate Cloggsie has to keep in touch with the Mrs where ever he goes (No expense for Love).

NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Thu 17 Dec 2015, 6:43 am

I'm very happy with my sat phone, just buy prepaid vouchers and last for 3 months
www.clientsat.com.au
Local business

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country Empty Telstra Air Network - free WiFi hotspots around the country

Post by goldstrijk Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:02 am

Forgot to mention I bought the Isatphone2

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:32 pm

goldstrijk wrote:Forgot to mention I bought the Isatphone2

Mr Cloggs, have you seen this ? you better check your phone.

http://spacenews.com/inmarsat-finds-manufacturing-defect-in-isatphone-2-satellite-handsets/

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:51 pm

Thanks Cliff, will check it out when I get home

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down