Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 10

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Windows 10 Empty Windows 10

Post by toad Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:47 pm

The motherboard on my computer died.  Well actually it started to die some time ago when the PCIe slot failed and I had to resort to the onboard video but a week or so ago the USB function gave out completely.  So, $600+ later I have an updated computer using solid state drives (SSD) and 6 core AMD processor.  Now because the new setup will run a 64 bit operating system and I only had 32 bit OS's to hand (Vista and then Windows 8.1 32bit by way of offered free upgrades), the question was, do I get Windows 8, 64 bit or Windows 10, 64 bit?  

After hearing a lot of complaints about Window 10, I was considering just getting W8.1, 64bit.  But after further thought I came to the conclusion that, in any case, I would finally end up having to run Windows 10 as Microsoft usually start to fade out support for the older operating systems forcing you to finally bite the bullet and upgrade.  I bit the bullet with Vista and started using it very soon after its' initial release and although there were a few hiccups with drivers and the like, I quickly got my head around it and it was OK.

So anyway, a clean install of Windows 10 (64bit) and so far, all good.  Runs Citrix Server/Tengraph, Geoview, Geomaps, Google Earth.  OK, it's a little different to Windows 8.1 buy hey?  Google is your friend!

So far I'm quite happy with Windows 10 and haven't got stuck trying to do anything I would have done on Windows 8.1.

Anyone else using it?  Anyone having a problem with it?

P.S.  These SSD's are FAST! My computer cold boots into Windows in under 15 seconds!

Last edited by toad on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a bit of info)
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 Empty Re: Windows 10

Post by Steady Eddie Tue 03 Nov 2015, 6:27 am

Hello Toad,
Is Windows 10 actually giving you an advantage over
8,1? I've been running 8.1 on a surface 3 tablet for a year now, with an intel Core i7 processor, with incredible boot-up speed. The only problem is I can't run Google Earth as the processor won't handle this program. Apart from that it handles everything else the old Laptop does on the Vista Operating System.
Good to hear you are happy with everything else.
Cheers, Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:09 am

Windows 10 is running everything that Windows 8.1 was running.  The system is substantially faster in normal use but I would put that down to the new CPU and the SSD.  I like going back to the old START button way of doing things on my desktop and the new Task View button is a great way to see just what you have open at any particular time.

The actual boot time is about 12 seconds and I would put the majority of that speed increase down to the SSD. Without having booted Windows 8.1 from this SSD I can't say just how much faster it is although the specs that come with the drive indicate that it can be up to 10 times faster than traditional 7200rpm IDE/Sata hard drives.
The Surface Tab uses an SSD drive and runs a 64 bit OS so I'm not sure you would gain too much by going to Windows 10 although eventually you will probably have to.  
Can't understand why you can't run Google Earth as the Core i7 should do it with ease.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie Fri 06 Nov 2015, 8:17 am

Sorry to take a lifetime for a reply; had to change caravan parks as the sun was turning my camper into a paint drying box. As for Google Earth: I,ve been trying several times without success. On other forums, people seem to have the same problem. I'll try it once more before throwing in the towel.
Cheers, Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Fri 06 Nov 2015, 9:11 am

I have the older surface RT and can't download GEOMAPS WA on it. Is it now possible to do this with the new surface pro?

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Fri 06 Nov 2015, 10:08 am

Jack-Tar wrote:I have the older surface RT and can't download GEOMAPS WA on it. Is it now possible to do this with the new surface pro?

Thankfully Window RT has now been put to bed. I pretty sure none of the tablet manufacturers are using it now. Geomaps should work fine on all tablets running Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Fri 06 Nov 2015, 3:52 pm

I believe that the problem is that you can only load the programs through play store. And Geomaps wa was not included. So when you are loading a program now, do you still have to load it through the play store?

Also I am running 8.1 on the surface but it is Windows RT 8.1. I didn't think there was a difference but there must be.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Fri 06 Nov 2015, 6:48 pm

Also I am running 8.1 on the surface but it is Windows RT 8.1. I didn't think there was a difference but there must be. [/quote] Jack-Tar

Unfortunately there is a big difference between Windows 8.1. and Windows RT 8.1. As you say, you can only install programs through the App store in RT. RT is designed to run on ARM processors whereas Windows 8.1/10 etc run on x86 processors and as such Microsoft has limited RT so that it can only download apps from the store that are configured to run on ARM. A lot of software providers didn't pick up on Windows RT so the support has been very limited.

Windows RT has pretty much been a dud. I know because I also have a tablet with it on. Evil or Very Mad Microsoft sold us a dud with RT. If you know someone handy with computers they may be able to install Android on it for you. At least you may get better use out of it then. What a Face
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie Sat 07 Nov 2015, 7:04 am

Hello,
I'll redo the article I wrote yesterday dealing with Google Earth and GeoMap Problems. We had a severe hailstorm in Kalgoorlie at the time, and it may have led me to hit the wrong button.
  Anyhow, I'm running a Surface 3 and had problems to install Google Earth for a while now. The day before yesterday I went to see a Professional and came back red faced when he opened the program perfectly on his shop WI FI. On return to the caravan park I faced the same situation again. Kalgoorlie is known for its erratic connectivity within the built up area. I then tried the program again at 2.00am, and finally watched the planet earth spin towards me; great! I've since scanned the relevant maps into memory. and the tablet works now just like the laptop did, only much faster. The only problem is - I need to burn midnight oil!
  I also attended a free course on GeoView and GeoMap here, a few days ago and, although it was structured on a tight schedule, I picked up enough to get started. GeoView is more powerful, but it requires a permanent internet connection for its constant updates from a Perth server. GeoMap is ideal for prospectors, as the latest Tengraph sheets can be freely downloaded from DMP's website before going bush. I ended up buying the Murchison version for $ 55.-, and after downloading it, works very well. It took around 20 minutes to load the complete stick (29 GB with all layers). Once downloaded it works much faster off the hard drive. Of course most of the layers can be pruned, with just the important ones left active like: Tengraph, geomaps, creeks, abandoned mine sites, etc. As mentioned, Tengraph can always be updated on town visits. Project files can then be saved as - whatever -, in an easily found folder of choice, where they can be accessed when needed. Incidently, I could not find Topo Maps on the stick (a handy background layer), but they too can be dowloaded from the DMP website. GeoView does have them on startup. A good way is to start the project with a topo map (1:250 000), and then start adding other layers.
  I'd better shut up now before this contribution turns into a mini novel!

Cheers, Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 07 Nov 2015, 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info Eddie. I've gotta question which may be related or not.
I've tried downloading from the DMP Data and Software Centre but nothing happens, it won't download a bloody thing. I'm still running Windows 7 on the home computer, has this got anything to do with it or do you now have to pay for it.
Cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sat 07 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm

Are you clicking on the accept conditions icon at the bottom of the page when it opens Cliff? I am also running 7 on my laptop and have no problem.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 07 Nov 2015, 2:53 pm

Jack-Tar wrote:Are you clicking on the accept conditions icon at the bottom of the page when it opens Cliff? I am also running 7 on my laptop and have no problem.

I assume you are talking about this button.  I've clicked on it several times in the past but it still doesn't allow downloads.

Windows 10 Dmp10

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sun 08 Nov 2015, 12:43 am

I assume you are trying to download the latest live and pending tenements?
if so, when you float the pointer over the word download in the "live and pending tenements" section a short list will open up. In that list click on the "ESRI shape file" and another page will open up (license for non commercial use agreement), at the bottom of that page you will see "AGREE OR DISAGREE". After you select the "AGREE" tab, the download should begin. Hope that helps.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Sun 08 Nov 2015, 7:10 am

How does one differentiate between granted and pending tenements? Does anyone know? Is there a way to do this?
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sun 08 Nov 2015, 9:42 am

They are colour coded blue (pending), green (live) or crown land is white/clear.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

Jack-Tar wrote:They are colour coded blue (pending), green (live) or crown land is white/clear.

Seems to do that in Geoview but what about Geomap? They all seem to be the same colour.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie Sun 08 Nov 2015, 7:21 pm

Live tenements are green in colour, and crosshatched from left (bottom) to right (top). Pending ones are blue in colour, and crosshatched from right (bottom) to left (top). An application over a live tenement has black crosshatching on top of the green. This is according to a printed version. The black and white print appears to have no legend at all.
  As yet I've not downloaded any files, so would not like to comment at this point. The Murchison stick (GeoMap) has all relevant layers within the program, except the Topo maps which I hope to download soon. Will comment then.
  Cheers, Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sun 08 Nov 2015, 8:22 pm

Yes toad, it does it in Geomap. It sounds like you haven't added the tenements layer. Are you in Perth?

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Sun 08 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm

Eddie,
The colours can be changed to suit the individual but obviously they will remain live or pending whatever colour you use. The cross hatching can also be used or you can use a solid colour and set the percentage of transparency. It is up to the individuals personal preference.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Sun 08 Nov 2015, 9:12 pm

Jack-Tar wrote:Yes toad, it does it in Geomap. It sounds like you haven't added the tenements layer. Are you in Perth?

No mate, in windy Geraldton. I'll have a bit more of a fiddle with it and see what I come up with.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by toad Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:48 am

There is a selection of 8 file types to choose from. I've been choosing the ESRI Shape file. I guessing this is the wrong one?
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie Mon 09 Nov 2015, 6:53 pm

Hi Jack-Tar,
Thank you for your comment, re: Tengraph Colours.
The hatchings and colours I mentioned are - I think - standardised by the department's branch offices in the state. When generated individually they can, of course, be any colour. Good of you to point it out.

Cheers, Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Mon 09 Nov 2015, 8:37 pm

toad wrote:There is a selection of 8 file types to choose from.  I've been choosing the ESRI Shape file.  I guessing this is the wrong one?

That is the correct file. Have you had this map project working in the past?

If you are not familiar with the geomap projects I will highlight a couple of points.

The order of the layers will affect what you see if the transparency is not set. I set mine to around 70%. The map on the bottom layer is left with 0% transparency and the tenements on a layer above is set to around 70%. This way you are looking through the tenements layer at the map. I hope that makes sense.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Mon 09 Nov 2015, 8:41 pm

Steady Eddie wrote:Hi Jack-Tar,
Thank you for your comment, re: Tengraph Colours.
The hatchings and colours I mentioned are - I think - standardised by the department's branch offices in the state. When generated individually they can, of course, be any colour. Good of you to point it out.

Cheers, Eddie

Hi Eddie,
I think you will find the branch officers set it to only show the cross hatching is to save colour ink when they are printing them for everyone.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar Mon 09 Nov 2015, 8:51 pm

Hi Cliff,
How did you go with the download?

I will be heading into freo tomorrow to return a bag I found out in the bush (Kookynie). The bag had the owners business card in it so I gave him a call.
If you like I can have a look at your computer after I drop it off.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum