Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand held radio & GPS recommendation

+5
Charlie 59
CrazyPete
Golditch
AussieAU
Nanjim
9 posters

Go down

Hand held radio & GPS recommendation Empty Hand held radio & GPS recommendation

Post by Leon1 Sat 13 Jun 2015, 3:11 pm

I´m starting prospecting in WA and wondering which GPS and hand held radio is the best with a good price / performance ratio?

Or which one are you using?

I tried to use GPS on my iPhone 6, but it isn´t working properly with any app. Is someone using the iPhone for GPS?

Leon1

Back to top Go down

Hand held radio & GPS recommendation Empty Re: Hand held radio & GPS recommendation

Post by Nanjim Sat 13 Jun 2015, 5:10 pm

Battery life seems to be a big prob with the IPhone's
Some of the folk on here are using Garmin Rino( I think)
GPs Radio combination ..with good results ...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Nanjim

Back to top Go down

Hand held radio & GPS recommendation Empty Re: Hand held radio & GPS recommendation

Post by AussieAU Sat 13 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm

Garmin Etrex30 is good and value for money

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Golditch Sat 13 Jun 2015, 7:43 pm

There are some really good ones out there ! Don't by the cheap ones as there are a lot of picktorians going onto leases that are taken and the lease holders are stating to get a bit lead happy. The gps units don't userly lie!! Go the top makes like garmin or Magellan . Dmp use garmin units
Happy detecting

Golditch

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:38 am

Never liked the idea of a combined GPS/UHF, if it dies you've lost contact and navigation and that could be very dangerous and life threatening.
Better off with a garmin etrex and a uniden UHF walkie talkie.
I use the garmin etrrx and a  uniden UHF from Dick smiths the both cost me less than $300 for the pair.

Pete

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Redfin Sun 14 Jun 2015, 12:33 pm

Another vote for the Garmin Rino's.
Very happy with ours.
Redfin
Redfin

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 59 Sun 14 Jun 2015, 1:11 pm

Hi Guys ,
         The wife & I use the Garmin Rinos and love them . When she is with me we can keep a check on each other ,
and I try to stay with-in 5/6 hundred meters of camp .
When i'm on a boys trip I also put the Garmin 60 in my pocket for a back-up & normally go out on the bike .

Cheers Charlie

Charlie 59

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer Sun 14 Jun 2015, 3:17 pm

Another vote for the pair of 5W UHF/GPS Garmin Rhino 650's.
You can see all other Rhino ID's on the map which is the coolest thing (especially if you have it strapped to your dog and you watch his blip moving all over the map chasing roos and emus, who must wonder WTF when you call him on the radio!)
They do make a GPX go off if too close to the coil, which use to be a bit annoying, until I started slinging mine high on the opposite GPX harness shoulder strap.
You can text message each other too and set up a unit as a base station via software.
I got mine from 'Jonny Appleseed' online when they had a cool offer a years back and I got 2 for the price of 1 for around $600.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon Sun 14 Jun 2015, 4:31 pm

Hi Guys my wife and I have 2 Garmin Rinos  650 and are very happy with them, previously had a Magellan gps
Cheers Max

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Redfin Mon 15 Jun 2015, 7:21 am

NuggieDreamer wrote:
I got mine from 'Jonny Appleseed' online when they had a cool offer a years back and I got 2 for the price of 1 for around $600.

LOL, so did I, was a bargain.
Redfin
Redfin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leon1 Sun 21 Jun 2015, 11:16 am

Yes, it´s definitely better to have it seperate. Now I have choosen the Garmin Foretrex 301 and an Oricom UHF5500. And last but not least a power bank from Floureon with 16800mAh.

Does anyone now where a good place is to find people who want to join me prospecting in WA?

Leon1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down