Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs?

+4
mulgadansa
Bignuggs
boobook
madtuna
8 posters

Go down

split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs? Empty split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs?

Post by madtuna Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

Your thoughts and experiences please?
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs? Empty Re: split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs?

Post by Guest Sat 27 Sep 2014, 6:04 am

madtuna wrote:Your thoughts and experiences please?

Gone back to using split rims and skinny tyres after having constant issues with sidewall staking, only using 7.50-16 8 ply Dunlop road grippers at present as they are cheap to buy new on gumtree etc., and as they come standard on the new cruisers they are often swapped out for fat tyres, to date I have had no issues with them, it depends mainly whether you are in the bush full time or like me do more road mileage than bush mileage, these road grippers are what they call a 50/50 tyre. (50% road 50% bush)

I have been thinking about getting the split rims galvanised as no matter how well they are painted it does come off and they do rust, and any time a tyre is changed the paint gets chipped.

Apart from my rear mounted spare I carry a spare tyre/tube/liner wrapped in plastic on the roof rack, lighter to lift up and down rather than it being on the rim, spare tubes, patch kit, tyre pliers in the tool box, so far so good this is the second season I have used these tyres and not one flat as yet.

Advantages of split rims and skinny tyres are that they are easier to negotiate your way around obstacles with in the bush than with fat tyres, (fat tyres get staked easily on rutted tracks as they tend to run on the side wall of the tyre in the ruts and get staked by tree roots etc.), also you can also pump them up hard as well to straighten out the side walls, hence less sidewall exposed to staking, and if you can get them as I did for about $50 or so each as new then even if you do wreck a couple then better than doing it to the $300+ per tyre ones I was using before.

You can also get much tougher tyres as well that are 12-14-16 ply in 7.50-16, crossply (bias) rag tyres if you are really serious, lots of Chinese and Indian ones available such as BOTO and MRH, noisy as hell some of them but very puncture resistant.

Probably more information here than you were asking for but I thought other forum members might get some use out of it as well.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs? Empty Re: split rims and tubes Vs tubeless and bungs?

Post by madtuna Sat 27 Sep 2014, 6:23 am

Many thanks, and the more info the better.
We're basically 99% bush and 1% tar. I like the convenience of bungs but too many rooted sidewalls is making me think skinnies may be the better option now.

My main concern is I've never changed a split but I suppose I'll just have to learn.

Cheers

Steve
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Sat 27 Sep 2014, 6:35 am

Have been using 7.50-16" splits since 1985 (Landcruiser traybacks)
Much of this has been in W.Qld. breakaway country with plenty of jagged silcrete to go on with.
Also towing a 2500l. 4 wheel fuel trailer so plenty of 4 wheel spin in the equation.

Have never had actual problems with the rims, I do find the balance weights susceptible to loss, whether they are thrown or scraped off
Never had a blowout with a split and punctures are usually a bloody thin gidgee stake which lets it down gradually. Like just after you have finished shopping in town and heading off back to camp.

What I do like about splits is the ease of tyre removal/changing. Just have to be super careful not getting a piece of grit in there, have had a couple of flats due to sharp grit between the tube and tyre.

Also not a believer in running tyres half flat on rough/sandy tracks. They all get pumped up to load carrying capacity and that's that. I do have to replace spring/shackle bushes more frequently though.
I don't see those 6 deck cattle trucks with 58 wheels on the ground changing tyre pressures too often either.

Using 10 identical split rims, 4 on the truck, 2 on the van and 4 spares. Mostly on dirt roads the tread life never gets much over 30000km.
All those years, never had a nail but a railway spike through the tread took some pulling out.

No experience at all with conventional tubeless, only to have seen a fellow use the petrol/"start ya bastard" method of blowing the tyre back out on to the rim. Scared the begeesus outa me, only like things that go bang 30 seconds after the fuse is lit.
Pretty happy with what I use. Very Happy
mike

boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Sep 2014, 6:39 am

hI STEVE--
I run with 7.50x16 with 14ply tyres.--235x85r16 slightly wider-10 ply can b an option.
The 8 ply tyres up here aren't much chop as the snake root and the schist just nails them everytime.

Doublestar and Linglong make a very good high raised sidewall tyre and don't get too many issues with them--find they run pretty quiet as well but I usually have the radio on.

40psi is about what I run in them even fully loaded but try to balance the car weight out helps.

spares--well I hate repairing tyres in the bush so I carry a minimum of 3 spares--that's just me, and yes have used all three on one trip. Burnt spinny country will give u grief every time but you should be ok down were u r.

if anyone is looking for more clearance and slightly wider tyre then I suggest a 8.25 x 16 16ply about $400 a tyre. make sure u buy tyres for a splitty as a set otherwise u will b up for a tube and rust band..

I have a dual tyre carry rack on the rear and one underneath the car ..
these things are bloody heavy to lift.

good luck out there.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Sep 2014, 8:11 am

madtuna wrote:Many thanks, and the more info the better.
We're basically 99% bush and 1% tar. I like the convenience of bungs but too many rooted sidewalls  is making me think skinnies may be the better option now.

My main  concern  is I've  never changed  a split but I suppose I'll  just  have to learn.

Cheers

Steve

Changing them is fairly easy providing the rims are kept reasonably rust free inside, usually a good coat of anti rust paint inside is what's needed, (that's another reason I was thinking about getting them galvanised) they used to use a silver paint for the inside to keep the tyre bead from sticking, makes them easier to get off, the other thing to remember with splits is that you have to be careful when blowing them back up, as the ring can fly off and bite you.

When trained in the army to do tyres on split rims, with trucks and land rovers, we had to put them in a cage to pump them up, or when in the bush we had to wrap a chain around the tyre and rim so as you were inflating them if the split ring came off it would probably only break your wrist rather than decapitate you.

If you are using them mainly in the bush I would be just going for the 14 ply cross plies, the MRH 14 ply lug tyres are as tough as, but also as noisy as hell on the road, you wont get huge mileage with them on the road but used in the bush you will have to try hard to get a flat, so you wont have to worry about changing them very often anyway.

Have a look on YouTube there are plenty of how to do it movies.

au-fever

Last edited by au-fever on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Sat 27 Sep 2014, 8:13 am

Gday Steve
I run 245/75/16 BFG's on my Colorada but I only do about 5-6 one/two week trips a year out bush and am pretty careful with the tyres and haven't had any issues. Serious bushwork definitely calls for the splits and skinnies. Don't worry mate, they're a piece of piss to change, much easier than normal rims. Au's idea of buying the unwanted originals is a lot of sense.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosralt Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:13 am

Hey Steve
Long time.. hope the color is still coming in for you.
I run the splits,7.50x16 14ply tyres. Im like ray and carry 3 spares as the the country up here can be hell on any tyre. The only sidewall I've ever done on them was during my last trip out your way.
Nosralt
Nosralt

Back to top Go down

Post by madtuna Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:51 am

Many thanks folks! Splits it will be, now to find a vehicle to wear them!

Terry, hi mate! colour still coming out,on a promising patch at the moment with 3 oz the other day and about 4 oz off it so far.
Nice deep ground and normal timings doing the job.

Cheers

Steve
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Dozer Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:07 am

I've never seen a split rim band come off if it was correctly installed! If done correctly it cannot come off.
I have been selling and fitting tyres for more years than I want to remember and every problem has been associated with
poor preparation, be it foreign bodies inside the tyre, patches peeling from incorrect placing, beads being ripped from poor
technique etc.
All the talk about being careful when inflating tyres, applies to all tyres not just splits. The stored energy in an inflated tyre is
a very dangerous thing, which like anything potentially dangerous, has to be handled carefully.

Back to the topic though, I use tubeless and plugs, which I pull and replace with vulcanised repairs when I have time. The reason
for tubeless is simply because the majority of my mileage is on the bitumen. Comfort and less noise is the key.
From time to time I also can get half worn tyres from a minesite that keeps running costs down so I am not too worried about
damaging sidewalls(but I am lazy so I avoid giving myself work where I can).

It all comes down to personal preference and the application the tyre is going to be used in.

Dozer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:03 pm

a couple of pics of Double star and linglong tyres --- note the raised edge which keeps the bulge of the tyre away from grief--well most of the time anyway.with a photo of the knobbly looking tyre being a 235/85r16 10 ply rated radial.

LINGLONG 14 PLY
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/URL
DOUBLESTAR 14PLY
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

235/85r16 10 ply tyres.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

just for reference

and as the boys said--TREAT WITH THE UPMOST OF CAUTION---MAKE SURE U TAP THE SPLIT RING AS U PUMP UP THE FIRST 20LB AND FACE THE SPLIT AWAY FROM YOUR BODY WITH A POLE AS A BACKSTOP OR PUMP UP UNDER YAH CAR IF U WANT TO.

Regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Sun 28 Sep 2014, 9:29 pm

definitely splits for me , a good quality bead breaker is required tho , the cam action type one is the best , not the threaded type , as the roll pin beneath the handle shears out & you will get caught out if you are in the tiger country , same price tried them both & the threaded one failed on its first mission .tyre repairs in the bush is good as you get a sense of security but theres a bit of work in it . after 6 or so repairs you do get good at it , any how you have to experience it I guess to make these choices yourself.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by madtuna Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:13 am

All good info fellas, many thanks!

Now need to sell some yellow stuff to buy a vehicle to put them on!
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:38 pm

if yah looking for a troopy--let me know..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by madtuna Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:00 pm

Ray, a troopy is one of my choices.

p.s. I see this thread has been moved and just reading earlier posts I see my question has been answered in depth a few times.
Should have checked here first sorry.
madtuna
madtuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 12 Oct 2014, 7:20 pm

Changing tyres is only easy if you're experienced at it. Don't make the mistake of just watching somebody else do the job. You need good reliable advice and some supervised practice to be safe. If it's done correctly there's very little risk but for the inexperienced it could be a dangerous task and if you don't do it right you might not get a second chance. I have tubeless rims that split from the center by undoing 24 bolts. The yanks considered it dangerous enough that they fitted 5 sided nuts so the inexperienced couldn't tamper with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down