The Last Nomads

Go down

The Last Nomads Empty The Last Nomads

Post by picknshovel on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 11:13 am

So, was wonderin if some you still remember and where you were when Warri and Yatungka were bought back

from the scrub back in 1977. At that time i was rentin a unit on Scarborough beach rd just down the rd from the

white sands tavern(think thats right name?) in Perth. Job at the time was pressin and cuttin veneer sheets,

and used to go for a counter lunch where the barmaids were topliss, near some industrial area.

When they found them couple, i remember thinkin how big this country is which i had just riddin my 500/4 Honda over

from Sydney and for them to have never seen a white man before being found.

(more to add later, im off for a countery again, but no topless barmaids dammit)  Sad 

http://www.megalongcc.com.au/Cox&Co/last_nomad.htm

picknshovel
picknshovel

Back to top Go down

The Last Nomads Empty Re: The Last Nomads

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 12:54 pm

1977 I was happily married but that was before the unhappily bit happened. I had just bought a truck and worked as a subbie and slowly went broke.  Ended up divorced now I live happily ever after  Very Happy 
And I remember the big headline news when they walked outa the scrub.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had the wrong year in LOL I wasn't married in 1997 hahahaha I was happily single)

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 2:17 pm

Great story picknshovel, I also came over to the west but 10 years later than you and also lived in Scarborough, in a Bedford camper with long hair and surfboards, AAHHH those were the days  qwk;ec   klsdlbne .but went back east.
If anybody is interested in this type of reading there is a good book called A Drop In The Bucket, its the 1920s establishment of the Mount Margaret mission near Laverton.
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by picknshovel on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 2:39 pm

If only i knew then what i know now, day 4 outta Sydney and im headin north on the Coolgardie/Esperance hwy and the suns goin down, so i pull up on some turn left bush track after passin a few salt flats on the right and made camp in the bush in me pup tent, a can of beans for dinner and ZZzzzz only to be wokin in the middle of the night by a few fella's wantin to know what i was doin here n why i didnt come up to the pub somewhere near around, (apparently), anyways no big deal, just passin thru and back to lala land. Little did i know im sittin in a gold field.
picknshovel
picknshovel

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:27 pm

That was a really sad piece of history for the aboriginal people as a whole.

I was enjoying life at that stage, not a lot different to now really only a was just a little younger. I was on my first trip around this great country with my younger brother, my mother and a friend. My dad had died five years earlier when he retired and attempted a trip around the country. They only made it from Brisbane to Caloundra on the north coast before he died so Merv and I decided to take Mum on that trip she never got.

I have great respect for the aboriginal people and feel for them in the loss of their traditional lands and culture. Both Sandra and I have enjoyed working with them in an educational role. Unfortunately we don't have the knowledge and background to help them in their traditional education but hopefully we've been helpful in some way.

We're just SE of Ora Banda tonight and working our way towards Niagara for the muster.  
cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm

I was working at Laverton and a few months before had met a family group at the government bore at Mount Fanny, South of Giles, that had only had limited exposure to europeans. The kids had never seen a white man before. They were all naked except for the boss man who had a loin cloth we reckon was made from an old parachute. He had an old single shot .22 but no ammo. We gave him 50 rounds and I got a dilli bowl as a swap. It still had a piece of bungarra meat in it. From memory there were six or seven in the group and they spoke pitjantjatjarra which I spoke a little of back in those days. Great memories.
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum