Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sound of Gold on your Pinger

+3
goldstrijk
Flying kiwi
NuggieDreamer
7 posters

Go down

The Sound of Gold on your Pinger Empty The Sound of Gold on your Pinger

Post by NuggieDreamer Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:11 pm

Had a pretty average shot at the yellow stuff over Easter and started a bit of research why I seem to find every shotgun pellet in the area but no gold, even dug buried ones all weekend, quite depressing..

so I find this bit of info on another forum, hope this helps those like me... who are waiting for lead prices to rise.

...it is not about target volume but making sure there is a clean faint threshold in your ear. What I listen for are any variations in the threshold. I believe that no matter how poor your hearing as long as you have created a good audible threshold you will do fine. This is the reason hunting without a threshold is so dangerous.

...If I found gold, the answer was always "you will know when you hear it" and they were dead right, on my first outing to wedderburn, 3 bits of junk then a crystal clear gentle tone, my first thought was "that's gold". Yep 2 grams pure, no inclusions at all very smooth nugget. I have had hundreds of people say to me you can't tell the difference between lead and gold they both sound the same, sorry, listen closer gold has a crystal clear pure sound to it, lead doesn't have the purity to the sound, I know people will dispute that, but take it or leave it, it's the way it is (unless it is very close to the coil, then just sounds like a coke can). I have found over the years that iron (usually) has a ragged sound, copper shells a ringing sound and pull tabs a siren scream, old rusted small bits of iron can sound really good to start but as you get closer, they also develop the ragged sound. The same goes for large bits of iron at depth. They have a ragged inverted signal when detected from the surface and start to sound really loud and ragged  the further down you dig.
NuggieDreamer
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

The Sound of Gold on your Pinger Empty Re: The Sound of Gold on your Pinger

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 30 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

i think its got to do with the shape aswell some nuggs sound all sihtty if they are a funny shape like long and skinny

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:08 pm

Hey Hey Tom
I think the old saying, if you get a signal DIG IT, rings true
But I must admit, if I don't get that nice smooth quiet signal< I just keep walking, probably the wrong thing to do, but you really get sick of digging trash and get lazy Twisted Evil 

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Post by groundrush Thu 01 May 2014, 8:02 am

I tend to think after a while your brain becomes programmed to the sound of gold.
There is no conscious analysis that goes on, hi lo tones mellow response etc just
a receptor that alerts you and a lot of the time your right and its the good stuff.

I’m as guilty as the next bloke of second guessing targets and walking on by but
its a time to result equation for me.

Don’t you just love it when on virgin ground and every warble that firms up is gold .
No need to understand much about signal response then, just don’t happen that often.
My old mate Jimmy Hooker from Tennant Creek who spent months prospecting the Kurinellie
gold field put it nicely, “I just kept going hoping to hear the faint call of a nugget”
gr.

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Thu 01 May 2014, 3:34 pm

I few years back, i put this to the test by burring 3 bits of gold, small, medium and large just under the surface.
Called folks over as they came back to camp to test their ability to pick gold from metal and lead.

I told them there was three targets and could they pick which one was gold. Laughing
Not one of them....old and new operators picked the targets as all being gold, not even close.

Its been said, while on many accessions you can guess what the target is going to be, but would you put money on it every time.??

Guilty of guess work, and payed the price by giving up a 55gramer because it sounding like a horse shoe. Embarassed I call it when its in my hand now because the illusion of it being a gold detector has passed.  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

The Sound of Gold on your Pinger Empty ping

Post by gut feeling Thu 01 May 2014, 5:46 pm

Its so true when you get a signal you 99% just know when its gold or a loud scream yep thats the good old part of a  bean can .I dig em all up as sometimes just sometimes that crap sound ends up being gold. I had a signal not long ago where the sound nearly blew my speaker. thought bullet .dug it up anyways .2 inch down 16gram peice. YA JUST NEVER KNOW!  ...happy swinging!
gut feeling
gut feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 May 2014, 6:53 am

I would only put a small wager on one particular signal. That being that it's either a shotgun pellet, bullet or gold. To my ears, everything else sounds slightly different.
I only walk away from a screamer if I can kick it away. Probably missed a few in my time.

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would be doing it.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 May 2014, 8:39 am

u might have missed a few in our time but hey we certainly made others happy..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Fri 02 May 2014, 11:11 am

goldnomad wrote:I would only put a small wager on one particular signal. That being that it's either a shotgun pellet, bullet or gold. To my ears, everything else sounds slightly different.
I only walk away from a screamer if I can kick it away. Probably missed a few in my time.

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would be doing it.

Robert

Right on Brother  Twisted Evil cheers 

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down