Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett ATX

+7
fencejumper
drinkdolder
Bignuggs
Inhere
groundrush
Banjo
toad
11 posters

Go down

Garrett ATX Empty Garrett ATX

Post by toad Tue 25 Mar 2014, 8:48 am

I was in at the Prospectors Patch the other day and they were really pushing the Garrett ATX, saying that is was good as, if not better than the GPX 5000. (and half the price) Also that it consistently picks up species that the 4500 and 5000 won't get a signal from. I'm always skeptical with advice from re-salers, believing that they push whatever gives them the best margin.

It's damn hard to get an unbiased picture of the ATX as ML owners are a bit like Toyota owners and can't see past them, a view which can eventually lead one to missing out getting into a new product on the ground floor, so to speak.

Be nice to hear some factual comparisons. Be nicer to take one for a run. I wonder if they hire them?
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Garrett ATX Empty Re: Garrett ATX

Post by toad Tue 25 Mar 2014, 9:09 am

Sorry about this post, seems it's already done the rounds. I searched on ATX and came up with nothing. Searched on Garrett and found the lot.  Very Happy 
toad
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Mar 2014, 11:17 am

PP dont sell Minelab so they can only sell what they have regardles of their margin.

As a reseller if I pushed one brand over another for the sake of a margin, customers would be putting my head on the chopping block if it failed. Thats why PP came unstuck with Minelab

there is a good write up by an american dude doing a comparison.
i think its a case of hiring one and making up your own mind up on your purchase.

I get asked about the ATX and because i havent tried one I simply point them in another dealers direction, i certainly dont talk them into another detector. U as an individual have to b sure of your purchase..

in all fairness i am happy with my minelab machine.

If u do happen to hire one then by all means let us know how it goes compared to your 45.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:50 pm

Well that would explain why PP are trying to flog Garrett's so hard  Laughing 

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by groundrush Tue 25 Mar 2014, 6:29 pm

The debate has been going on for quite a while toad /Clive of India Shocked 
You could be forgiven for missing the ups and downs the flim flam
and the verbiage.  
Reg on Finders and Steve H , cut to the quick, worth looking them up if you missed em.
Seems to me for a lot less you could pick up a 3500 and a couple of DD coils scrape the
old buggers on the ground in Deep Sensitive and get the same results Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere Wed 26 Mar 2014, 6:24 pm

groundrush wrote:
Seems to me for a lot less you could pick up a 3500 and a couple of DD coils scrape the
old buggers on the ground in Deep Sensitive and get the same results Laughing

Reckon you are right groundrush, cant figure why one would buy that or the new minelab
But a dealer suggested that new people want warranty, in case something goes wrong. Wink 
Inhere
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 26 Mar 2014, 7:08 pm

I can't see why dealers can't offer a limited warranty on a used machine.
after all, they buy it or take it as a trade in knowing it works so why not say 3 months warranty.
it wouldn't kill them.
JMO

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drinkdolder Wed 26 Mar 2014, 7:58 pm

I was looking up Minelab  over garrett and found this on  youtube very interesting watch and see for yourself  enjoy the clip
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ( using DD coils)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  (different settings mono virse DD )

drinkdolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Wed 26 Mar 2014, 8:03 pm

The Bear. Say no more and I won't.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 6:27 am

maybe a comparison could be made between the ATX and the 4800 since this machine has been tweeked up prior to its release..

then again I'm going out on sunday and will take the 48 with me and a couple of coiltek & nugget finder coils and see if we can get a target to ponder our thoughts..

Its funny that those with the 48 have never regretted their purchase and from all accounts are quietly going about their business.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper Thu 27 Mar 2014, 7:57 am

Bignuggs wrote:I can't see why dealers can't offer a limited warranty on a used machine.
after all, they buy it or take it as a trade in knowing it works so why not say 3 months warranty.
it wouldn't kill them.
JMO

the good dealers in vic do mate, 3 months on all 2nd hand machines
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:08 am

drinkdolder wrote:I was looking up Minelab  over garrett and found this on  youtube very interesting watch and see for yourself  enjoy the clip
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ( using DD coils)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  (different settings mono virse DD )

Alan Mash (Bearkat) is a Garrett dealer in the US. There is a good article by Steve Herschbach on the GPX5000 vs ATX here :  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Be aware that in this test Steve was using a DD coil on the 5000, and readily agrees that the 5000 is far better with a mono coil !

There are consistent observations occurring re the ATX :
Too heavy.
Falses when hit against obstacles.
Doesn't have the depth of Minelab's GPX5000, especially in hot ground.

Portability and waterproofing has never been an issue for me, so that is useless to me.

It is quite clear it goes well in the USA where their soils are generally benign, but when it comes to our typically noisy ground it lags well behind. The price difference in the USA is larger making them quite appealing over there, less so here.

I for one won't be getting one preferring to let my 5000 do the talking !

Cheers,
Rick
araratgold
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:16 pm

Ray,
Very keen to here your thoughts on the 4800, as I don't know anyone who has got one or even used one. All comments received so far are in favour of the 5000
for obvious reasons, however its the price difference that is greater than machine difference in my opinion. Not even thinking about resale price, that's another debate. So im still really leaning towards purchasing a 4800 in May.

Cheers
Dean
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Thu 27 Mar 2014, 7:43 pm

In previous threads and posts I've always said I'd like to see decent tests done on WA ground comparing the 5000 vs ATX.
To date, I've only seen 1 vid clip on youtube and it was in soft ground.
I wanna see how it went in WA hot ground.
USA tests don't cut the mustard as far as I'm concerned.
JMO

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Fri 28 Mar 2014, 6:38 am

My thoughts same as yours Cliff, also too heavy for long swing time, and after watching youtube clips of ATX demos etc I hate the rude sound the things make over a target.
RW
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by AuHunter Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:55 am

Hi Dean,

I know of someone who tested a 48 against his 45 on Undisturbed targets. He promptly purchased the 48 and has no regrets. If you can't make the coin stretch enough to get a 5K then a 48 would be the go. Although if it were me I would get a secondhand 5K which will do more and also hold its value better when it comes time to trade in or sell up later on. Just my 2 cents

AuHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

Hi AuHunter,
Thanks heaps for your comments. Have thought about getting a secondhand 5k also. But as the brand new 48 is less than 5 grand is the reason im leaning that way. I need to buy a few extra bits and pieces also. Which will bring the bill up over my budget unless I can get a really good deal on a 5k.
Cheers
Dean
rogawilco
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by AuHunter Sat 29 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

No worries mate, A good machine with full warranty, you can't go wrong. Fine gold is not such a big deal anyways really. The 48 has 15 gain and the 5K has 20 but they are only extra steps in the tuning between 6 and 11 so total output is the same. Similarly with the stabiliser. Not really going to make much difference in real world performance. Not sure what other differences there are but for the price of those 48's you can't really go wrong. I have seen quite a few of the 5K's go for very low $5000 with extras, most have transferable warranties. If you do buy a secondhand 5K make sure you can pick it up and see it first hand as there's plenty of good copies going around and plenty of scammers. Good luck

AuHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by shane-o Thu 07 Jul 2016, 1:00 pm

Sorry about bumping up this old thread but you don't hear much from ATX users. I think the main reason is everybody loves their minelabs and you can't blame them. Most people that have purchased an ATX are weekend warriors that only go out occassionally so it seems. I only have the standard coil, can't afford the others, would have got a 5k if I had the cash but I'm happy with the ATX. I think it's found 10 or so gold rings and 6 nuggets now with the smallest being .45 and largest 3.8gr. If I had a 45 or a 5k I would do some unbiased testing for YouTube. Might get out with one of my uncles soon with his 5k and do a bit of a review. I haven't had a problem keeping it quiet and stable, once you work out the ground track options I find I can run max sensitivity at almost all times. Don't trust the iron check, it grunted on my first nugget 0.9gr. It does false when bumped though and I can't seem to balance out some hot rocks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down