Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

+14
aussie18
albo
CrazyPete
UTBN
Gamble
K town swinger
snapper
LITTLEGEM
michael740
jackal60
groundrush
Makaw
Flakmagnet
phill
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users Empty Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

Post by Guest Fri 30 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

Here's a few simple Techniques to boost your gold intake.  Cool

You can think of the GPX range in the same way as a stereo equalizer, if one band is out of whack, its not running at
its premium ability.
There's no need to get overly aggressive on the tunings to start off with if your new to the GPX's, just a simple tweak up of the 4 main functional settings (Rx Gain,Stabilizer,Motion Speed & Audio) will put you miles ahead of the FP settings, but in real sense we really want to be making these babies really scream & sing, and an important factor to being able to do this is running a very well matched up coil for the GPX.

Also we do actually need to hear a bit of mineralization on our GPX's so we can realize when we can boost up the settings to get better performance, i know most blokes & gals these days are way to fixed on the "smooth threshold" theory and that can be a good/bad thing, reasons ? if you are able to run the machine as smooth &
quiet as a church mouse, you are not really forcing the best from your detector, if its smooth why not try to
tweak it up a notch or two, and keep tweaking with a good ground balance between each tweak until you just start to get some in-balance in the threshold.

The 5000 will cancel out nearly 95% of all hot rocks, the only major ones that get through are the hot rocks with very strong magnetic qualities and these are very few and far between.

We also need to be looking at a couple of other important factors also, and they are Swing Speed, Coil Hight from the ground and coil level (Horizontal).
The larger your coil is, the slower it needs to be swung, and the opposite goes for the smaller 14" and down size coils, the smaller sized coils can safely be swung with a 2 - 3 second swing and still remain stable and deadly on targets, the larger coils 16" and up need to be swung slower for two reasons, one is to allow the larger coil field more time to penetrate deeper and excite the deeper targets, and the other is because we are running a larger coil we are therefore scanning a lot larger area and amount of mineralization at any given time, so we need to swing slower to also allow the detector to be able to keep up with the processing of all this extra info that the larger coil will produce..

Its very important when doing a Ground Balance to have your coil fully horizontal in relation to the ground surface, this allows all of the coils windings to be presented to the ground equally and makes for a better Ground Balance and therefore a more stable detector which again allows us to tweak it up even more again..

Follow a few simple standard in field Tuning tips like these and you will get more gold.
Always ask yourself "can i get more outta this spot and how can i do that ??  there's only two ways to do that and one is bust a nut physically, the other is tweaks on your detector, of course when you combine the both thats when Magic Happens..

Pete   Cool

Back to top Go down

Some advise For New GPX5000 Users Empty Re: Some advise For New GPX5000 Users

Post by phill Sun 08 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

Pete, I read through this post a week or so ago and was a bit shocked not to see any replies, maybe people are missing something.....

This is one of the best posts I've read on any gold forum, certainly in the top 10 that I've seen.

Absoultly F%#kin brilliant mate!!!!!

I don't even have a 5000!!, never even used one!!

Thing is, I reckon the exactly same applys to the 4500 and most likley the same principal for any machine.

Your spot on buddy.

If you read pete's post above and your not doing what hes advocating then your not doing as well as you can, and you are missing gold, simple as that.

Congratulations on a fine post Pete, really good stuff Very Happy

Phill.
phill
phill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

Cheers Phill,

beers in the post mate Cool

And yes, your exactly right on a great deal of it applying to other ML Pulse jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jan 2012, 2:45 pm

Pete,

I reckon this belongs in "Detecting and Prospecting Tips"

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

nice pete! good advice

themrburns

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:17 am

Hi Pete,

I read this post too and it was so to-the-point and smart
that I could not think of anything to say,
but what I should have said was:

WELL DONE and THANK YOU.

Your recent writings on detecting and prospecting technique
have been among the best I have read.
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Sun 15 Jan 2012, 3:52 pm

Any chance of doing a youtube vid mate?
I just bought one and have absolutely no idea, lmao...
It came with a free training day, yippee, thats gonna be helpfull 4000klms away from W.A.
Its hard to understand the switches and buttons, but a vid is so much easier to learn from..
Plus we get to see your sexy body...
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

Flak

Cheers mate i really appreciate your feedback on my rantings Razz
Like a lot of old school guys that have been in the game since the beepbox was released i have
an inquiring mind to work out how these buggers talkum talkum longpela Very Happy

Makaw

First congrats on getting the 5k mate Some advise For New GPX5000 Users 1802170214 Very Happy good decision.

Only got shitty cam at the mo or i'd be only to pleased mate, maybe as the season rolls on ay,
got any ideas for the costume i would need, Very Happy

Was thinking of CAMO COLORED mankini,gloves,knife
torch,detector,gators, Buttockless chaps, walkie talkie,GPS,Knee pads,and a gay haircut Twisted Evil Razz Razz

Oh sh#t! just remembered, THAT LOOK IS ALREADY TAKEN lol! lol! lol! Razz Razz

But in the meantime if theres anything ya need to know or are stuck or confused with on your
new toy just fire me some questions mate, only to happy to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

Thanks mate. I have been youtubing every vid made, and the deal comes with a dvd. hope its ok. Either way its all about time behind the wheel and getting to know the machine....
Might try fine , or enhanced for out this way and see how it goes...
I guess if i spend a few hours with a test nug in the worst possible soil i can find, and work out how to cancel out some of the noise and only leave the target signal, i have it half beat...

P.S i thought you already had the gay haircut?

Kids ask why i shave my fringe....LMAO, they will go bald one day, i hope....
Makaw
Makaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet Mon 16 Jan 2012, 2:19 am

Hi Pete,

("...Was thinking of CAMO COLORED mankini,gloves,knife
torch,detector,gators, Buttockless chaps, walkie talkie,GPS,Knee pads,and a gay haircut...")

It's been a pretty savage season for gents wearing that gear, especially lately,
Best stick to the shorts, t-shirt and surf shoes.

cheers
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by groundrush Mon 16 Jan 2012, 6:22 am

Pete... much truth and wisdom in that post mate,
Nicely articulated. The way to go when re visiting old ground
with a 5000. Man does it illuminate targets in areas you are sure you got 99%. :o
Reckon we all get used to the smooth timings and our default settings , it’s good to force yourself every now and again to change the game plan and see what you come up with . Detecting on the edge..
groundrush
groundrush

Back to top Go down

Post by jackal60 Sat 11 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

Now that's what i call a post with a lot of common sense.Much appreciated Pete.

Jackal60
jackal60
jackal60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Feb 2012, 6:08 pm

Cheers Jackal60 Wink

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by michael740 Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:27 am

Make it a sticky Very Happy
michael740
michael740

Back to top Go down

Post by LITTLEGEM Sun 19 Aug 2012, 10:02 am

Hello Pete and fellow forum members
We are new to the forum and are enjoying reading members input. Pete, excellent advice on the 5000 very much appreciated. I have a 5000 and a long term user of detectors. We are finding gold, and it is amazing what small sized gold the 5000 is picking up.

Question: I am hearing from gold prospectors on our travels in WA that the 5000 is great for the small stuff, but no good on deep ground. Would you agree with this.

Also, I am thinking of purchasing a small coil, "Sadie", any advice on its performance on the 5000.

Thanks.

LITTLEGEM

LITTLEGEM

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper Sun 19 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

G,day LITTLEGEM, first the 5k is as good as or better at deep gold as well as getting the littlies, those that say they are not are talking through their arce, they probably dont own the 5k and use the old sd 2100 or the like, ive seen for myself the 5k detect a 3 ounce specimen at 24" and the 4500 didnt pick up a signal until the hole was 6" deep using the same coils,

As for the 8x6 n/f i have this coil and its too sensitive for WA conditions, you will be digging tons of hot rocks, you will have to quieten down the detector by maybe putting it in quiet audio and gain right down, i dont use coils any smaller than the 11" minelab coil over here but maybe the 8" minelab if you want a smaller coil but ive never used this coil, cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:37 pm

G'day Littlegem as Snapper has said the 5k punches deep on big targets as do all minelab PI's.I've dug some bloody deep holes with the 5k for nice bits and alot more big holes for deep trash.At the moment i'm running the 8inch commander mono as my small coil and am very impressed,great (almost unbelievable) on the small stuff and has been surprising me on the bigger bits at depth.I scored a 5grm the other day at 30cm that was a definite dig me target.I have talked to a few 5k users who say to achieve max depth you need to run in normal timings but in my detecting areas as with most of W.A. fine gold is the only way to go as the ground is just to hot.

K town.

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:07 am

[quote="LITTLEGEM"]

Question: I am hearing from gold prospectors on our travels in WA that the 5000 is great for the small stuff, but no good on deep ground. Would you agree with this.

These so-called "prospectors" have no idea of the capabilities of the 5000 so take no notice of them.
Like K-town and Snapper, I have dug deep targets also with the 5000. one at a measured 28"

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by LITTLEGEM Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:51 pm

Many thanks to all for advice on 5000, very much appreciated and will definitely take it on board. LITTLEGEM

LITTLEGEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

G'day Joan

Sorry for the late reply mate i was out bush diggin.
But yeah, as the boys have already stated, the 5k goes deep as a bugger dont worry bout that, and dont waste a cent on any coils smaller than the 11" supplied commander Mono.

Try her runnin in sens extra with the 11" Mono, stab on 5, audio on boost,front switch on Gen, goes ballistic on brown suger sized gold and the depth on bigger stuff will have you amazed.
Nother thing, if using the above settings make sure you Manual tune in the top 200 - 255 region.
Good luck out there mate and do us proud Very Happy

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

hi guys......yes i love my 5k....i gotit singin......there are some tricks with this machine....my french mate ran his with the threshold at 75%....yes ...thats right....the machine screamed all day....but when it hit a target it screamed louder...lol.....and it went deeper than i ever seen.....but noisy as f##k.....i could hear it in my sleep hahahahah....ny gain is on 16...stabilizer 10.....but these controls dont have any effect on the depth.......your timing setting is the most important.....theother day ....i got a .3 at 8cm.....no worries....its like a dry blower..hahahahaha....i also found a 11 gram chunk...yyyeeeehhhhaaaaa....video coming soon......

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamble Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

Hi Pete, Thanks for the great advice - Used the settings last night and broke the drought - At last someone that doesn't take the ......... amber liquid ......and says it straight - Awesome mate, THANKS :-)

Gamble

Back to top Go down

Post by UTBN Sun 26 Jan 2014, 3:47 pm

Possibly the most accurate info on how to operate a 5 that I've read online. Credit to Pete

UTBN

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:59 pm

Thanks Gamble & UTBN  Wink cheers 

Gamble - Glad your off the mark for 2014 gold tally  cheers Cool 

Pete

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:06 pm

pete what video camera u use--trying to make up my mind what video camera to buy for prospecting purposes

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next