Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005

+9
travelergold
Nanjim
Goldiewa
Moneybox
red devil
albo
Bignuggs
martinjsto
Nightjar
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005 Empty Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005

Post by Nightjar Sun 24 Nov 2013, 7:58 am

With a great deal of help from Sam Lippiatt in California who had been studying the Lasseter story for many years, we put together an expedition back in 2005. Unfortunately due to the heaviest rain since before Harold Lasseter perished we had to turn back because the ground was impassable.
Very frustrating, getting within view with binoculars and having to abandon the journey.
Maybe one day we'll try and organise another trip. Getting past the "locals" is almost as impossible as traversing muddy ground.
Here is a photo story put together after the trip, it's 36 minutes long so pull up a chair and put a few tinnies on ice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Nightjar on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 9:42 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : fix link)
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005 Empty Re: Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005

Post by martinjsto Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

look like a great trip nightjar. big fires big country. love the music choice also, what is the nae of the "gold" song?
good stuff
martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005 Empty Re: Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005

Post by Nightjar Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:43 am

Hi Martin,
Jose Feliciano - Turkey Buzzard

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enjoy.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:50 am

cheers peter. good listening on a sunday morning
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:59 am

Some nice pics of this big country and don't ya just love Lassetter and his lost reef Very Happy 
The song Turkey Buzzard comes from a movie called "Mckenna's Gold".  similar story to Lassetter.

Cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto Sun 24 Nov 2013, 11:10 am

I remember I watched that movie many yrs ago as a boy, dad always loved westerns and i got that bug from him, young Telle Savalis and Gregory Peck and Omar Sharif stared. im currently getting the movie to watch again tonight. Very Happy 

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Feb 2014, 6:35 am

I note that a South African company using a DC3 were out there in Central Australia with all the latest wiz bang gear looking for everything and anything.
They were flying very low and gridded a very large area..

Keep an eye out for the drilling rigs going East..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm

If it isn't the bloody chinese buying up mines it's the south africans coming in and taking over.
don't bother calling me racist coz we all know it.
Now I don't know the full law on this, but I thort if a mining company had a lease, didn't want to work it anymore, it had to be handed back.
someone please tell me how they can sell the lease.
this is becoming bull*.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 6:22 am

its easy Cliff --u just need to know the mining act to see how u can manipulate the rules to yah own benefit.

especially care and maintenance or how to use expenditure and cross it over onto other leases.

However if u see a lease that isn't being used and nothing has been goin on for years then u might have a case in the warden court but u need to do some serious homework to prove your case..

regards
oneday

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

ol qld Bob whos now in his 70s told me of an old drover that ran cattle from alice to Carnegie & picked up visible gold species on horse back on that route.. they are both alive today ,only just ... anyway , bob wanted to explore it with me but native title & the massive sandunes come n go in that country make a trip expensive & difficult .
its probly not Lassetters reef , who cares , gold is gold .
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

WAS LOOKING AT AN AMERICAN HUMMER ex us army --reckon they will go anywhere, just need a fuel truck to keep u in diesel,,

shes still out there somewhere and yep still worth another look.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Apr 2014, 2:25 pm

geez I red somewhere they are going to have another crack at finding Lasseters reef..

I reckon get hold of Dick Smith and use his chopper..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:45 am

How time flies, coming up 10 years since we were out there.
Has never been as wet since then either, having to turn back when we were almost in sight of destination was a real let down.
The YouTube jerked the memory.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by red devil Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:15 pm

hi peter

the wife and i really enjoyed watching your 2005 trip.

thank you
red
red devil
red devil

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm

If that reef exists, it wasn't that great really anyway, not that rich , what 1-2 oz  to the ton on rock chip sample max ,  over some km here n there  , that's fairly normal in WA good  gold areas  . Spots around Doolgunna wa can do that . So whats all the fuss about , am I missing something , there wasn't chunky stuff the sailor boy brought home ,sorry died with , its a glorified myth, albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Wed 23 Jul 2014, 10:00 pm

oneday wrote:WAS LOOKING AT AN AMERICAN HUMMER ex us army --reckon they will go anywhere, just need a fuel truck to keep u in diesel,,

shes still out there somewhere and yep still worth another look.

regards
oneday
This one is sitting in my workshop waiting for me to finish the RHD conversion. 2006 Alpha with 3400 miles on the clock. Right now I'm more interested in getting out there to try to find some gold..

hjjo 

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Fri 25 Jul 2014, 7:13 pm

Great rig but you will need a fuel truck behind you as well , only fuel west side is marble bar or Wiluna then head east , 500 litres min for the big rig round trip without exploration when you get out there ... where ya gonna put all that fuel mate ?
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 7:19 pm

u haven't seen the trailer yet..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri 25 Jul 2014, 8:22 pm

Plenty of fuel at Warburton and Giles (Warakurna) Albo.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:33 am

Albo the Hummer is surprisingly economical to run. I did the Tanami 975km on the original tanks 90 + 45L in the 1996 model with the 165HP N/A 6.5L same as fitted by Brunswick Diesels to the LandCruisers and Nissans. This has the 6.6L common rail Duramax with 300hp and five speed auto and is more economical as long as you keep your speed to 100kmh or less. Any faster and it gets very hungry.

I have no intention of taking it bush when done. I can't afford to bush bash in a $230,000 vehicle. This is the only Alpha we imported so I have a few dying to get their hands on it. The problem is i'm over going to work so it has to wait until I get my head back into gear and as long as I have this gold bug and a few dollars still in my pocket it will stand there.

Right now I'm getting ready for the muster. I fitted tyres last week and today I started mounting a gas bottle. I have to change the electric stove and hot water to gas. The solar and alternator can't keep the deep cycle batteries up without running the generator every couple of days. If we are going to camp with others I don't want to disturb the peace by cranking it up. It all seems quite simple but a job that I used to do in a couple of hours now takes me all day.
 Sleep 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 12:31 pm

U FEELING YAH AGE PHIL-- lol! 

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 26 Jul 2014, 1:39 pm

oneday wrote:U FEELING YAH AGE PHIL-- lol! 

regards
oneday

All in the head Ray. pale  We sold the business a few years back and I thought I'd retired well-off. Unfortunately the sale fell through and after that I had no desire to continue on. We sold our Hummer business up before our last trip north but just for a fraction of the original value. It was the best move I've made. We'll never be well off financially but you don't spend much when you're on the road and we're happy to be free of the constant need to get off to work every day.
 cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 1:46 pm

yep know were u r coming from phil.

I can quiet easily go on the road for 8 months prospecting and still have some very good country to tackle were I have found nice gold but will see how things go u never know.

we wouldn't mind having a go at lasseters reef--or at least find something out on the tanimi--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:31 pm

Ray when you're putting together a scouting party to Lasseters Reef we're just down the road and can be ready in just a week or two. We've only got a fuel range of about 1400km in those conditions so might have to do a little research first...
 Search for Lasseter's Reef back in 2005 2598739884 
I think the Tanami is the way to go. There are a lot of old workings there and it's a long way from the greater population. Hopefully it's not so picked bare. That's where we were when we climbed to the top of a mullock heap and called you about the SDC2300. It was at that point we realised we needed a metal detector.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:00 am

wegr 

Lasseter was convinced the mining of his reef would cure the country's economic problems and at the assayed amounts Lasseter claimed for his find, the reef itself was valued at around 60 million pounds in 1930 or more than 2 billion dollars in today's monetary terms.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next