Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laverton

2 posters

Go down

Laverton  Empty Laverton

Post by Bignuggs Fri 08 Nov 2013, 9:49 pm

Thought I'd just tell a little story from a few years ago, 1994 to be exact.
Many thanks to Mr Keating, I was able to take a redundancy package and do something I had dreamed of for donkeys years. Go detecting full time.
Well the 3 months I did, it almost sent me broke. when ya count up the cost of everything, I went thru nearly $25,000 and that was my half of a partnership.
I can hear you ask, how can ya go thru that much money ? believe me, count up the miles and the fuel, vehicle repairs (sometimes), food and it all adds up.
Any way, I'll try to cut a long story short. We hit Lavo and all areas around the town.
Lavo back then was virtually a dead town with a few mining companies but still lots of areas free to get on.
There used to be an area just north of the town site, bit of a tourist detecting area.
We would come in from the scrub once a week and set up in the caravan park for a coupla days, ya need to get a decent shower and do washing before heading out again.
We weren't the only desperates roaming the area at the time and there was always a meet up at the pub at the end of each day to swap bull* stories.
Bugger me dead, we come in one Saturday arvo to see a bunch celebrating.
The tourist area gave up an egg. Why an egg ? a lump of iron stone in the shape of an egg that everyone had been throwing away as a hot rock.
One of the guys decided to keep it. When he cracked the mother open, it was a solid piece of gold with a thin coating of iron stone. And ya have to ask ya self, how many people threw it away.
I got p*ssed that night thinking of all the hot rocks I had thrown away and ignored.
Never again, I prefer to keep hot rocks and smash them.
Yeah I know, hot rocks drive ya mad but ya just never can tell.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Laverton  Empty Re: Laverton

Post by albo Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:44 am

Similar yarn , A bloke called german joe in Nullagine ,top fella , came back with an egg sized flatter stone , light grey in colour , heavyish that the detector located , never really took much notice but had the good sense to chuck it in the back of his PC , anyway months later at a bbq in Nullagine a geo called Graham Hutton was there & joe got it out as a conversation piece, this bloke was interested in it & had it sampled & would you believe it was platinum, I forget how many grams to the ton , but you could feel the weight . Sad ending tho, time passed since the find , many stop start camps etc & couldn't remember the location , they spent 2 weeks back tracking that one & sampling ,no result.
narrowed it down to the marble bar Warrawoona area, still a mystery. its just something else that may pop up .albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

With the price of Platinum more than gold, I'd be spending some time lookin for it again

cheers 
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down