Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salt coils (noise cancel)

Go down

Salt coils (noise cancel) Empty Salt coils (noise cancel)

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

Has anyone had success with so-called "salt coils" or "noise cancel" coils as they can be known? I'm more interested in their use on salt lakes rather than "under power lines". I'm trying to make comparisons for a test run but I haven't used such a coil more than once. That was on Lake Austin near Cue years ago when the first big "zulu sheild" coil was produced by Coiltek. It was mounted on a trolley and to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with it. It was still as noisy as a DD coil on that lake and I found only an old corroded, brass button thingy with it. Even that was near the surface and it was signal that was nearly masked by the noise from the mineralisation.

Any experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:09 pm

Yes Cat , I ran one , 24 inch on a drag , big thanks to Trevor at coiltek in the 2200 times , tried them all , a 24mono prototype , 24 dd for this purpose & out of the lot on lakes & noisy iron ground the figure 8 wound salty was the best ,both sensitive & quiet. At that time i new a few that were swinging the first 14 inch ones as patch finders & on lakes , reckon they were quiet , but still sensitive enough, cheers albo.

Last edited by albo on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more shit spelling)
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Salt coils (noise cancel) Empty Re: Salt coils (noise cancel)

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

Do you have any figures or approximates on nugget size vs depth. Do you reckon you could hear a 7 grm nugget at 630mm with a salt coil on a salt lake? I don't reckon I would. The mineralisation in lakes kills the depth to some degree - the transmit signal just doesn't punch through the soil/clay and the "salt noise" overloads the audio and the ears. What do you reckon?

Lake Austin used to fascinate me and the gods played tricks on me for that obsession with it. A few years later I later did even more research on the lake and found out that distance from the clay surface to the rock bottom was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,98 feet deep!!! And guess where the good ole big stuff is sitting? Yep,,,,,,,,,,at 98 feet!! I had Buckleys Chance of hearing anything but noise. The shallow edges have been cleared out years ago by experts. I won't mention names,,,,,,,,,,, Salt coils (noise cancel) 452991977

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

Was at lake Austin visiting the boys regularly with the wet plant owned by Bill Parkinson & run by Ivan Bates & Bully , Rodney Buck when the guys showed up with the 2000 prototypes in minelab 15000 boxes, after a few days the wet plant boys started seeing craters appear around the lake edge , mahannapan area they called it , large gold being weighed up on bathroom scales the story went , Darcy & a Matt etc . Good days
At that time the wet plant stopped as the gold price was shitty 380 an oz or so & they pulled out & Bill bought the Cataby & Dongera pub & wasnt too concerned with the island & it was pretty much open & a good place for the Magnet residents to go & have a detect bless him.

Iv often entertained the thought of a midsized loader ,small tipper & simple grizzly & launder as the gold is there , we did a token dish samples from the mahannapan & all the way up to the iron knobs uphill to the west & every sample was good .. plenty of water too.

Last edited by albo on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:20 pm

Oyea drifted off cat , with the dragging i was happy to pick up 2 gramm bits on the surface in noisy ground & the salty was best . Funny thing was i got it all together the first day to try it & reunited with a few mates in the bush & set it up with the mates, stubbys in hand smirking ,just on sunset, giro gearloose remarks etc anyhow off i went 20 metres & a nice sound! Ray , put the detector over 3 metres back , begrudgingly he did & there was an 8 gammer, beginers luck.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:10 am

Hi All,

Salty coils back in the sd2000 days would have been the only real option but when they included CANCEL on the machines so you could use a DD coil it became the better option especially with smaller DD coils

I've tried an old Coiltek 18"DD coil in cancel and i wasn't happy with it, quite noisy but it could've been the coil

My preferance today is a 11"DD coil in cancel but the gold was shallow and very small, over 1200 nugg's for 3.5oz's

I tried the 14" Salty but it didn't like the mineralisation.. good on salt though

You guy's left a few at lake Austin for me cheers

Ron

PS: Depending on the weather as to wether i got gold or not on some days!!!! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:54 am

albo wrote:Was at lake Austin visiting the boys regularly with the wet plant owned by Bill Parkinson & run by Ivan Bates & Bully , Rodney Buck when the guys showed up with the 2000 prototypes in minelab 15000 boxes, after a few days the wet plant boys started seeing craters appear around the lake edge , mahannapan area they called it , large gold being weighed up on bathroom scales the story went , Darcy & a Matt etc . Good days
At that time the wet plant stopped as the gold price was shitty 380 an oz or so & they pulled out & Bill bought the Cataby & Dongera pub & wasnt too concerned with the island & it was pretty much open & a good place for the Magnet residents to go & have a detect bless him.

Iv often entertained the thought of a midsized loader ,small tipper & simple grizzly & launder as the gold is there , we did a token dish samples from the mahannapan & all the way up to the iron knobs uphill to the west & every sample was good .. plenty of water too.

I well remember the acrimony, the trouble and the broken mateships caused by those prototype SDs. I also well recall Matt, Campbell and "The Black Prince" on The Island and Nannine. I reckon a loader/ grizzly would be hopeless unless you have a wet plant either big or small as that lake clay is as sticky as doggy doos. The east side is a better bet for big gold but the west side has gold too - but small. The Island is under new owners these days and they don't let people on there AFAIK. The lake clay at the "old boiler" end is about 4 mtrs deep but at the north end near "The Sandy Knob" it's about 33 mtrs deep. Imagine what's down there!! But the whole area has just about been "vacuummed" these days.

But don't believe all you hear about "weighing gold on kitchen scales". I was one of first three to get a retail SD2000 when they first came out. We hit all the good spots around Cue and Meeka. We were watched and tailed by everyone in Cue. It was like three gunslingers at "Gunfight at The OK Corral". It was said about me that I'd found a 55 ounce peice on The Island. It was bull. We found some peices, the biggest was about 4 ounces but mostly it was all small bits at depth. The "55 Ouncer" was another example of stories being blown out of proportion - as they usually are in goldfeilds towns. Due to arguments, I moved on to Duketon,,,,,,,,,for a 60 ounce patch all to myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

The clay would be a problem , i noticed the old wet plant at nannine had tyre jigs to break it up.
The biggest piece i found at Austin was 3 oz on the west side of the ridge up high by the e/w centre track among the bits of trash under slab of BIF . cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:09 pm

Aaah Nannine! Now there's another load of stories in that place, including some about Matt & Co. We had some fun there as well!

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm

Was very popular ,that place had 30 or so people crawling round the 3 sisters once when i took a trip up to break the monotony of Magnet .It was early 2000 days & around the time some guy found a 15 oz or so piece right on the edge of the bitumin road west side... wasnt you was it cat? lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:37 pm

Er,,,,,,no. Correct weight - give or take a gramme or two, yes, but wrong side of the road! I never found a thing on the east side of the bitumen, except a good patch at the back of the Aladdin open cut. - all small stuff but a nugget every 30 seconds, sometimes 3 in one hole! However, not a thing on the west side close to the road. My stuff was all on the east, towards and well past the sisters and onto Bayleys.

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

Also i was there contract on Bailey south pit with 2 6bt southern cross high head pumps keeping the water out while they mined it. Before each blast we would pull the pumps quickly , clear the poly discharge pipes & after the blast the digger would make another sump in the bottom .... & then put the whole lot back, being on the edge of the lake , no room for stuff ups either, the water came in quickly.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by albo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm

So enough old fella talk on history ... anyone tried the these salt coils on the 5000 machines on lakes? The gold is there for sure if you can reach it ... just another few inches ha ha lol!
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down