Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stab Vs Gain

4 posters

Go down

Stab Vs Gain Empty Stab Vs Gain

Post by Flying kiwi Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:05 am

as the season wore on last year i found that i was cranking my gain right up 13-14 with a low stabiliser setting 3-5 to smooth things out on GPX4500,
net effect less gold!! Sad good response to the small shallow fly shite but looseing depth....

apparently the rule is stab set no less than 5 ponits under gain for a good ballance, plan is back to factory presets and start again this year

what do you guys tend to run??

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Stab Vs Gain Empty Re: Stab Vs Gain

Post by snapper Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:24 am

G,day FK, i have the stabilizer no more than 2 numbers below the gain, this is what i was told when i went on one of those day tours with the minelab adventure club which are free, having the stabilizer at 3-5 seems pretty low cheers Stu
snapper
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:30 am

The stabilizer has less of an effect on deeply berried targets, and has more of an effect on smaller ones close to the surface.
A good deal of effect on EMI when using a larger coil can be had as well with low stabilizer numbers. So if your using a big coil your not really looking for small gold anyway...the reverse with a small coil.

In times of low EMI,...higher numbers are better on the stabilizer. Look at it like a very FINE gain control.

There is no real rule on the stabilizer......settings from one end of Australia are most probably to aggressive at the other end......each day brings new settings all round.
Find the balance on the day, and never worry about what others are using half way across the country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:29 am

Gday Fellas
Rule of thumb I reckon is Stab 3 points lower than Gain. If it's twitchy at RX 13 and Stab 10 then lower both equally. Or vice versa(increase both equally) if the conditions are very stable. Never have run with Stab lower than 6, in some very shitty conditions.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

"Gain" and "Stabiliser" are two knobs that actually work against each other if you're not careful. Imagine, you turn up the "Gain" to get "maximum reception" from the coil, just like tuning a radio with "max gain". But in doing that you get all the crackles, beeps and burps from the same maximised "coil reception". So the trap is that you then turn the "stabiliser" knob to quiten down the noise! So you end back where you started, at best and could even be worse - at worst.

Gain and Stab are two misunderstood switches. The settings should be checked every time you switch on as EMI conditions change every day, if not every hour and across the whole of Australia. As has been said above, what's right in NSW is not necessarily right in WA. ( As MANGO BAT is also finding!! Stab Vs Gain 729094268 )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 6:48 pm

THATS THE REASON i ALWAYS play with me knobs when I get a target that I have to dig for--99.9% of people get so excited that they dont play with any knobs and simply gets a hugh adrenalin rush and dig..

Blokes like JP does a heap of experimenting with different setting --thats the only way u can get an edge over someone else..ask JP about any knob on ya machine and he will set u straight--ask the majority of people what SPECIFIC means and u will be pushin the proverbial..up hill..dive for the bible--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

"THATS THE REASON i ALWAYS play with me knobs when I get a target that I have to dig for--99.9% of people get so excited that they dont play with any knobs"

There's a joke there somewhere but I'm not gonna say it. clown Or Cliff will ban me again. qwk;ec

Ray,

Why is it that your posts always come up with huge amount of empty space under the main text? They take up heaps of room.

Last edited by Caterpillar on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:04 pm

OH - I see it's that BIIIIGGGG! photo you've got as an avatar. Silly me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:11 pm

Flying kiwi wrote:as the season wore on last year i found that i was cranking my gain right up 13-14 with a low stabiliser setting 3-5 to smooth things out on GPX4500,
net effect less gold!! Sad good response to the small shallow fly shite but looseing depth....

apparently the rule is stab set no less than 5 ponits under gain for a good ballance, plan is back to factory presets and start again this year

what do you guys tend to run??

Kiwi,

You're not losing depth. What you'll lose is the sensitivity to faint signals which are nuggets "at depth". These faint signals are initially "increased" by the "gain" - obviously - but they are then "killed" or "masked" by the increase (i.e a decrease the stab setting) in the "stabiliser" to keep machine from annoying you all day with too much noise . That's what I mean about one knob fighting the other. It's "ying and yang" with these two knobs.

If the nugget is just a fly speck near the top and close to the coil, even a bit of wire on a garden stake will hear it. But you've blown any deep sensitivity by "upping the gain" and then "masking" it with the the "stab". The signal strenth of a target decreases almost exponentially with depth so that signal needs all the help it can get to enable you to hear it.

Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

i havent mastered tecknowledgy yet--it was a major step for mankind just geting that to work--

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:36 am

"lower stab (less than 7) settings effect the lead in lead out part of the target signal and may cause some targets to be missed if the coil is not centred over the target"

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:56 am

If the coil is not centered over a deep target that doesn't exhibit lead in and out, it matters little the stabilizer setting. Not all targets have that " approaching a tin can reaction " due to the conductivity or the ground your working.
If you want a lengthy lead in and out of your targets.....run the signal at its highest level. FP is 16 on the 4500...try it on 20.
I often run very low stabilizer numbers and have done since the 4500 came out. Running mostly the 17x11 and bigger coils, its the coil doing the work looking for the deeper signals...not the stabilizer. Your own experimenting will tell you that from FP over a deep target to a low stabilizer number will have little to no effect on the targets signaling. What you will notice is the drop in EMI level....a drop in the EMI means a clearer signal hands down.

If your not over a deep target with the center of the coil thats just a mere murmur to start with...our opinions on the stabilizer aint going to help one eye ota.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down