How do you attach ya coil cable

Go down

How do you attach ya coil cable Empty How do you attach ya coil cable

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:16 pm

I'd be interested to hear how people retain the coil cable around the detector shaft. The old way was just to wind it around the shaft.
Ya now got new thingies called clips but I remember reading something that they weren't the best and people didn't like them. I've always used velcro computer cable straps, they are a bit fiddly (not really, I'd say it's just me and having sausage fingers) but they do keep the cable in place.
Once upon a time I did use sparkies tape so the cable was always permanently attached to the lower shaft but as I use a Minelab hardcase, I gave that idea away.
I'm open to new ideas. So what do you use ?

Cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 7:06 pm

Hi cliff, i use the green reusable zipties you get from bunnings , the ones grannys use for gardening, cheers albo.
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

How do you attach ya coil cable Empty Re: How do you attach ya coil cable

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

Albo

u have a couple too many mate? must be hot were u r 2?

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

albo,
I've heard a rumour that you use the green reusable zipties you get from bunnings , the ones grannys use for gardening. Is this true Rolling Eyes tongue Laughing

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

hi Ray , Jacktar , no all good , up at tefer & the net is painfully slow to get a post away at peak hour , must have hit the send a bit too often. Temp has been a tad warm 40 all week , not too bad compared to 2 weeks ago 47 & humid, no breeze. Hope you get some gold Ray & the temperature drops 10 deg straight away. Cool
albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

I heard an echo an echo an echo Very Happy all good and no probs cheers
And all temperatures over 40c, you can keep em How do you attach ya coil cable 3179412840

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:18 am

For years I have used skidplate tape. It give a tighter hold and doesn't pick up grass and stuff. much better than velcro.
I don't see how the new clips can suit both DD and mono cables as they are different thicknesses.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:33 am

because i swap coils to test the reponse from different coils on a range of targets, I dont use anything to hold the cable insitu.

mate was using a 18" round NF and just picked up a target-2" down -small--tested the same target with the 11" original and it howlled--not that I would have expected anything less.

Then when I'm ready to drive to another area I usually retract the shaft so it fits in the car with ease.

regards
Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by carms on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:31 am

the "new" way they say to wind your cable is to actually not start winding it around the shaft until you reach the upper shaft...so the lower shaft you just have the cable running straight up from the coil to the upper shaft and to do this you do need some form of cable clip or tape etc so it doesnt start coiling around.
whether this actually does anything im not sure as even the minelab stock photos have the cable coiling around the shaft from the bottom to the top...if anyone else has something to add please do as i really would like to know if im wasting my time not coiling the entire way ...it would be a lot easier to coil from the bottom thats for sure
carms
carms

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:34 pm

goldnomad wrote:For years I have used skidplate tape. It give a tighter hold and doesn't pick up grass and stuff. much better than velcro.
I don't see how the new clips can suit both DD and mono cables as they are different thicknesses.

Robert

I'm the same as you Robert works a treat, have been taking the time to throw a wrap of tape around up by the control box as well lately to tape the cable to the side away from your body stops the falseing you can get

Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:11 am

Flying kiwi wrote:
goldnomad wrote:For years I have used skidplate tape. It give a tighter hold and doesn't pick up grass and stuff. much better than velcro.

Robert

I'm the same as you Robert works a treat, have been taking the time to throw a wrap of tape around up by the control box as well lately to tape the cable to the side away from your body stops the falseing you can get

Tom

Same here Tom. It al;so holds the smart point cable tight to the shaft.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum