Detecting West Australian Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp night Lights

+5
Tributer
Nightjar
shorty
Woteva
Bignuggs
9 posters

Go down

Camp night Lights Empty Camp night Lights

Post by Bignuggs Fri 18 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

Here's something I've been thinking of getting. I think it's a brilliant idea to plant a few around ya camp at night. If you do have to go walkies, at least you will see the light.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Camp night Lights Empty Re: Camp night Lights

Post by Bignuggs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

I made some inquiries about these lights. The price quoted is for 1 lamp, not 3. Still a good idea I reckon. I know some guys who like night detecting and at least one of them looses his sunnies when he walks into trees, AT NIGHT Camp night Lights 3179412840
I think it was night time, I was sound asleep when it happened Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

bunnings have them for sale..

i got 6 just in case some dont work--u have to charge them fully befor u use them..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

Now here's something I have been checking out. Not sure how long the charged battery lasts, but if ya got something like this attached to an extendable pole (probably small diameter PVC tubing tied to a tree) then if ya do go night detecting or walkies, ya should be able to see it.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Fri 01 Nov 2013, 8:09 pm

I've just ordered 2 solar powered flashing lights in Red and Blue, they didn't have a white light.
I'll see how they go and maybe put up a night time vid clip.
I still reckon they would be a good idea for camping out in the scrub, especially if you tend to get a bit lost.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woteva Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:14 pm

I think you will find they are not all that bright. I have one in our garden, brought it about a year ago from Bunnings. It works OK, comes on every night and dimly lights up a part of the garden, its very directional and would need to be facing you to see it. Out bush they might be alright to point the way for a night trip to that tree you are watering but thats about it, you wouldn't want to rely on it to find your way back to camp at night from any more than 25mtrs out. If there was a moon out you might have to wait until sunrise to find your way back. I would be investing in a 12v LED lantern of some sort.
Woteva

Woteva

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty Sat 02 Nov 2013, 6:28 pm

We have a string of solar powered fairy lights at home, they are still glowing at 4am and would be easily visible if strung up in the bush as a single light or two could
be blocked by the shrubbery, these would be my choice of night lights, only cost $30
Chris
shorty
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs Sat 02 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm

Bignuggs wrote:I've just ordered 2 solar powered flashing lights in Red and Blue, they didn't have a white light.
I'll see how they go and maybe put up a night time vid clip.
I still reckon they would be a good idea for camping out in the scrub, especially if you tend to get a bit lost.
thought I better add to this. they aren't the fleabay cheapies. I've ordered mining/industrial lights.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:47 am

These are very handy,50X50 (5mmX5mm) wrapped about half the role in a spiral around a length of PVC retic pipe. Lights up the area like day.

This strip is the smaller 35X28 (3.5mmX2.8mm) very handy in the back of the ute.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nightjar
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tributer Thu 09 Jan 2014, 6:44 am

A great camp light idea from a 4WD forum that i have tested gives brilliant light. You use one of the Arlec plastic caged work light from Bunnings that costs only $9. They are robust and have a good on/off switch and hanger and clamp so you can put them up easily.

Replace the 240v plug with a cigarette socket or battery alligator clamps or both, and replace the bulb with a 12v/18w eddison screw compact flouro from ebay (UK sellers are cheap) or a solar shop. (Do not go with a chinese knockoff)
The light output (with minimum draw) that one of these lights put out will illuminate the whole camp.

Alternatively an aussie company has a great bomb proof/water proof LED strip system that comes in an easy to store aluminium channel. The lights have super magnets on the back and will stay put wherever you put them. The LED strip is in a piece of aluminium channel and has a removable diffuser. The strips can be connected together are also bright and use good quality LEDs. PS when you go to the link below the mob also sell 4WD light bars that are highly recommended if you are in the market for one (Light bars are great for seeing obstacles either side of your vehicle when scrub driving at night)

Cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk 51 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

The solar lights are also handy when night fishing.A few around the area keeps you aware of your suroundings.

Hawk 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm

IF U WANT A VERY GOOD led WORK -CAMP LIGHT THEN U CANT GO PAST THE NARVA BLUE HANDLE LIGHT--IT LASTS 8 HOURS OF CONTINUAL USE and its 12v or 240v rechargeable AND DROP PROOF..it doesnt handle being run over unfortunately..tell me mechanics that..but it throws out a heap of light.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Mon 24 Mar 2014, 8:27 pm

Try a yellow/orange light if you want light but no bugs. Should have done it years ago. National Luna make a nice one, dimable etc., but if you have the time and inclination you can make one pretty cheaply.

I used a LED strip stuck to a flat ali bar and stuck on an orange replacement lens you can buy for the NL lights.  The LED strips can be cut into sections as small as 3 LEDs. You can make a light with 3, 6, 9 etc.

To make a simple light that provides a great ambient light in the camp, or fishing on the beach, cut a strip of three or six, solder on 2 wires and a cig lighter plug, stick into any transparent/opaque yellow tube. If you have a screw cap tube or bottle poke the wires through a hole in the lid first. You can get little 1.5 AH gel batteries for fishing or carrying around. A light with 27 of the suckers is more than enough to light up the camp, do your cooking or whatever - it lights up a typical suburban backyard.

If you are going to make one, 18 LED lights would be heaps, and it would be great if you could have a dimmer or capability to switch to 3 or 6 instead of using two lights like me. Btw, an old amber indicator lens works pretty well, and you don't need LEDs, you can use any light source. Also, yellow lenses in head lamps are great, no kamikaze bugs on your eyes. I haven't tried but orange/yellow cellophane should work so long as it doesn't melt.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:10 pm

G`Day guys,I am thinking of setting up some led strip lights for outside light.I am looking at smd 5050 and wondering what the difference would be between 300leds and 600leds in light power for brightness.Any information would be appreciated.

cheers

Phil
cruiser1
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Fri 19 Sep 2014, 7:09 pm

Guys im looking into some small LED light bars to mount off the roof cage to use primarily for camp lighting but the rear one to set up as a reverse light as well.
I don't have much experience with how bright the LED's are and I realise its like trying to negotiate a mine field with all the misinformation/specs on different brands/lights but the ones I am looking at are 800 lumens, obviously I don't want anything to bright.

thoughts ?

cheers
Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down